Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 06:32 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times

Advertisements

Someone else mentioned enchiladas, and that's a good suggestion. Cheese enchiladas have all the benefits of a "casserole" in that they are easy to assemble, transport and reheat.

And as someone who lives in Texas, you know that enchiladas qualify as one of the major food groups
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 06:56 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
stan, thinking further about this, your task is to prepare a "family" meal. Since the usual side effects of chemo often render the patient unable to eat much due to loss of appetite, oral sores, gastric afflictions, it would probably be prudent to concentrate more on what the spouse and children would prefer, and patient could eat on those occasions when hunger sets in.

I'm sure it would be easier for spouse to fix a little something for the patient when the burden of cooking for the whole family is null. And the patient can rest a bit easier knowing that her illness isn't preventing her family from being nourished when she can barely stand to look at food, much less have to prepare it. I know for myself, many times I was simply too tired to eat, preferring instead to nap and that often occurred at mealtime.

kudos to you and your team.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:15 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
You could do Parmesan Chicken, I've never met anyone who doesn't like that, and there are plenty of recipes on Google.

I like the idea of chili and a nice roll to go with it, or something really fun would be mild enchiladas or tacos with all fixings - the kids would probably love them!

Old 10-31-2015, 08:30 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Oven fried chicken is fuss free and everyone likes it. Plus there's the added bonus that it can be eaten warm or cold.

A pasta salad or mac and cheese would go well and may be palatable to the patient.

Add a loaf of garlic bread, a fruit salad and a pan of bars and you have a meal that people can also snack on.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:20 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times
First off, Kudos to you Stan! Your a great friend.

Just some ideas:
Tomato soup with grilled cheese
Chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes
A simple spaghetti(or other pasta) and Bolognese
Hamburgers(or chicken nuggets) with fries
Chili....chili dogs......chili cheese nacho's....
Mac & cheese
Heck, even a large pizza from their fav pizza joint.

Wish you and their family the best. Prayers sent.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Chicken Parmesan, it's tasty and you can put it in a large baking dish arranged so that it's easy to divide up individual portions. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like it & it's cheap and easy. Maybe served it with some good french bread and a caprese salad? I doubt if you need a recipe, there are tons online, when I fix it I never serve thick pieces of chicken breast, I pound the chicken very thin, bread it and fry it quickly in a hot pan. You can make your own pasta sauce, or just buy a good one in the store, put the cooked spaghetti in the baking pan, arrange the fried chicken on top put shredded or grated parmesan on the top of each piece of chicken and put it in the oven until the cheese melts (I usually use a mix of parmesan and mozzarella on the chicken)

Old 10-31-2015, 12:59 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
One of my standards for situations such as this is a delicious Swedish meatloaf with creamy dill sauce. I usually serve it with red potatoes (roasted, boiled or mashed) and Brussels sprouts, broccoli or asparagus.

It's a recipe from Southern Living...I'll try to find a link...

Old 10-31-2015, 03:44 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
Will she have an issue with strong smells? Chemo can make you nauseated when you smell certain food.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:02 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Many Leading Cancer Programs suggest this cookbook to patients: The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery: Rebecca Katz, Mat Edelson: 9781587613449: Amazon.com: Books

Perhaps you can find a recipe suitable for your friend/colleague. I also suggest checking out the website Take Them A Meal | simplifying meal coordination so friends, family, neighbors and co-workers can show they care

Old 10-31-2015, 04:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Like somebody else mentioned, the food is more for the family so that nobody stresses out about the meal and just for a sense of solidarity. Anybody could order them a pizza. Hell, they could order themselves a pizza. It's just something home cooked to take the edge off.

I love a lot of the ideas and am torn between a meatloaf and beef stroganoff.

Today I trialed croque monsieur mac and cheese as a side. Rich, but delicious. Maybe plain old cheezed mashed potatoes would serve better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink