Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 PM

307 posts, read 2,507,555 times

Advertisements

I love fish. I prefer it raw than cooked. I love sashimi. And sushi in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Not as much as I used to. I now live in an area that it is difficult to get "fresh" fish. When I say fresh, I am talking a few hours from the water at the outside. I was spoiled growing up in Michigan right on Lake Michigan and the fresh fish from there, and then by the coast in Maine. Now in northern Maine I can't stand the crap they have in the stores. When I can get it fresh I will have it a couple of times a week.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,217 times
Fish is fablulous!
I find fairly fresh fish at the grocery story & I've never been disappointed with the quality, though I know that it was shipped here. I don't think great eating fish come from the high desert!!

Growing up in Louisiana & always living near water made me a great fisherwoman. I love to catch, skin, fillet & fry my own catfish...ummm..um.

So yes, I eat lots of fish. At least twice a week.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
1-2 times weekly. We get fresh shrimp here, so that is always high priority, and I buy fresh salmon or catfish when it's on sale. Also King Crab when that's on sale.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:40 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
I am going to turn into a tuna. I remember something about a comment along those lines and so far, no gills. I went camping last summer and took with me, 60 cans of tuna. It was all gone in a month and I didn't have any company - just me. If you think I must be sick of tuna now, guess again. I am restocking for next summer - but I keep having it during the winter. It's really hard for me to stay stocked up on tuna.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:57 PM

371 posts, read 2,029,215 times
We eat salmon once a week, tilapia 2 times a week, and then of course, I eat tuna fish often. I always wondered why I like the water so much.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:16 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
This is funny I stumbled across this post, I NEVER eat fish and have always wondered how in the world people like the stuff. I actually had a dream last night I was trying to eat it. Ironic, but really it's gross, even in my dream. I wish I liked it, it's so good for you.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:33 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I am going to turn into a tuna. I remember something about a comment along those lines and so far, no gills. I went camping last summer and took with me, 60 cans of tuna. It was all gone in a month and I didn't have any company - just me. If you think I must be sick of tuna now, guess again. I am restocking for next summer - but I keep having it during the winter. It's really hard for me to stay stocked up on tuna.
So is the T after Alice for Tuna?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:32 AM

66 posts, read 245,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I am from Spain, clearly the European country were more fish is eaten, above all where I live, in the North-Western part. The second biggest fishing port after the Tokyo one is roughly 30 miles from where I live. I've been to several European nations and it was very difficult to find fish in the supermarket, especially fresh; most of the fish was smoked, dry or frozen. Also, when I was in the USA fish was virtually non-existant in most of the supermarkets.
That would depend on how close to the ocean you were. When I was living in the Washington, DC area, even a poor person could afford a live crab every now and then, and some butter fish. Now that I live in Oklahoma the last 35 years, it's obviously cattle and beef country, and any fishing is done for sport, not for food. Can't buy striped bass and crappie at the grocery store, unfortunately. If you had gone to the south, though, you should have easily found catfish in the stores.

You have to realize the USA is very large, and even though your country, Spain isn't nearly as large, I'd wager that it has regional differences in the cuisine just as our country does. And I'd also wager that the people who live near the Pyrenees would complain that they couldn't find fish as easily as they could when they visit Catalan, unless they went fly-fishing for trout themselves!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Love fish-snapper, redfish, flounder, tilapia, catfish. Unfortunately since we moved from the Jersey shore to Minnesota we eat it less as there's nowhere to get good, fresh fish and seafood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink