Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 02:08 AM

17 posts, read 12,129 times

Advertisements

that expensive i think you must make farm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 05:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The legs are my favorite, so I'm in luck there. While the leg quarters and thighs are nearly always cheap, the drumsticks are higher in grilling season except for the occasional sale. I do like a whole chicken for soup.
Thighs and the leg quarters are our favorite as well. In fact I haven't purchased chicken breast for maybe 6 months. I do buy whole chickens at Sam's every few months. Yesterday I got thighs on sale at Aldi's for .79 a lb and not long ago I got leg quarters for .39 a lb at our local market.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:00 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thighs and the leg quarters are our favorite as well. In fact I haven't purchased chicken breast for maybe 6 months. I do buy whole chickens at Sam's every few months. Yesterday I got thighs on sale at Aldi's for .79 a lb and not long ago I got leg quarters for .39 a lb at our local market.
chicken is at a 30 yr low ...right now,,,
stock up!!

I bought some drumsticks for 39 cents....

and boneless breasts I bought for 1.49lb

with the bones left over from leg quarters,,,i simmer and make chicken stock/broth

Old 11-07-2015, 08:25 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post
Buy lots of frozen vegetables and tinned fish in bulk. Cheap and healthy.
Right. And people usually pick up the more expensive "steam in bag" or other nonsense instead of looking at the old school square box of frozen veggies which are really economical - what we were actually raised on if we didn't have gardens outside.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:12 AM

920 posts, read 930,894 times
The simpliest and healthiest way is to grow your easy vegetables/sprouts.

Just water each day (as needed) and set the sprouts in your kitchen window. As you pick, it grows back.

You should have enough sprouts for every 3 days, they are so good for you!

The free potato trick (after the initial bag) should give endless potatoes

Those are all the items we grow, we buy the rest of our vegetables.

I tried couponing here. I love doing it. Went to the recycle center and got a ton, organized them and went each week. It wasnt worth it. Not in our area. No matter what I did, the local stores wouldn't either honor coupons w/sales/ coupons with their own coupon etc...but they wouldn't honor their own coupon policies. One finally did but it held up the line SO LONG...it wasn't worth it. SO it depends upon where you live and we don't eat most of those items anyhow, it's junk...

Old 11-07-2015, 09:15 AM

920 posts, read 930,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
There is NO reason a person on a low budget can't eat healthy. Shop stores that are known to have lower prices and go to the reduced shelves. Buy in bulk when you find a good sale.
Move here in Meadow Vista Ca near Auburn. You'll see! You have some great tips in this thread, thanks alot you also know nutrition
People who are truly broke often cannot afford to buy in bulk so it could be an endless circle of poverty

Old 11-07-2015, 09:24 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Right. And people usually pick up the more expensive "steam in bag" or other nonsense instead of looking at the old school square box of frozen veggies which are really economical - what we were actually raised on if we didn't have gardens outside.
I often find that the 1# bags of vegetables are the cheapest unless there's a sale.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Beans and rice, rice and beans.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:08 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times
Cheap cuts of meat and fish (including nutritious innards), eggs, potatoes, nuts, fresh/canned/frozen fruits and vegetables

Try to limit the amount of rice, flour, and corn products you add to your meals. They're cheap and filling, but are difficult for our bodies to digest and thus should not make up a large part of your diet.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:41 AM

878 posts, read 1,206,604 times
Just learned of Restaurant Depot-- while you seemingly have to buy in bulk, they have chicken thighs for $.28(!!!)/lb (not certain how large a pack these come in-- but easy enough to divide into portions and freeze), pre-portioned wild caught salmon for $3.99/lb (have to buy 10 pounds at once), bone in ham for $1.64/lb, ground lamb for $3.29/lb (again, in a 10lb case), etc.

Here's this week's flyer for the Midwest: http://www.restaurantdepot.com/Branc...15_midwest.pdf

Haven't yet shopped there, if others have shopped there, would love to hear feedback-- plan to head there this week.

And while the store isn't open to the public, I've heard that a $35 yearly membership to the Kansas City BBQ Society will score you unlimited day passes-- or if you have a Federal Tax ID (even if your business isn't food related), I believe that you can get access, too. For those in or around Minneapolis, the Brooklyn Center store is open to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink