Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:09 PM

342 posts, read 438,081 times

Advertisements

I like to cook from scratch and buying in bulk (flower, rice, onions, potato, ground beef, chicken breast etc in Costco) helps. I bake and make my own cottage cheese. Many meals made from scratch are very inexpensive (pancakes, mush potatoes, simple baking things like muffins, rice with vegetables).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:23 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
I like to cook from scratch and buying in bulk (flower, rice, onions, potato, ground beef, chicken breast etc in Costco) helps. I bake and make my own cottage cheese. Many meals made from scratch are very inexpensive (pancakes, mush potatoes, simple baking things like muffins, rice with vegetables).
Is it really that inexpensive to make choc chip cookies? Seems like the toll house break-n-bake cookies are cheaper. I tried to make choc chip cookies about a year ago and it was a disaster.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
There are lots of FB pages dedicated to this topic...do a FB search....Here is just one example https://www.facebook.com/eatgoodandcheap/?fref=nf

I think the biggest mistake a lot of us make is thinking pasta is cheap....But, too many carbs can have a long term negative effect of our health, so investigate quinoa and other grains in lieu of regular pasta.

Eat red meat, chicken, pork, turkey, fish....whatever health proteins you can find. Salads, fresh steamed veggies. Pick out a few recipes....and build up your "go to" list of recipes as you can.

You're so lucky to have the internet these days. Good luck to you.
I was a bit surprised by the negativity of your reputation comment to me, sorry that link wasn't good enough ....As I said when I posted the link....it was simply an example of the many links to be found on the internet....Sort of a hint for you to help yourself....No one is gonna do everything for you...Good luck

Old 11-10-2015, 08:33 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The most expensive food in the world is food you buy but don't eat.
Quoted for truth.

I never throw food away. I don't buy a lot at one time, because I'm single. I know how to cook, and I generally decide what I'm going to make when I get to the store and see what's either on sale or otherwise available at a good price. Also, I tend not to buy condiments and spices I know I'll use 1 t or 1 T of, then stick in the fridge or cabinet to ignore for the rest of time. So many of my friends have in their refrigerators fifty hardly touched jars of crap they never eat again. I have never been that shopper.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I too, do not thrrow food away: OK, let's be honest; there are times when we really do just have too much of something or things come up and some food does have to find the trash can or disposal, but I am guessing I use 97% of all I buy, maybe more.

Now for an inexpensve meal that is simi homemade: Last night we went vegetariian; we made a marinera sauce using jar of sause I had gotten on sale for probably a buck: a can of dices tomatoes (I usually used home canned but didn't can as many this year and am already running a bit low.) I suateed a 1/2 of bell pepper, an onion, 4 cloves of garlic and a few mushrooms. Added all that plus a little fresh basil, salt, pepper, a little garlic powder and dumped it altogether is my 2 quart crockpot. Just before serving I added a 1/2 cup of red wine. It made enough sauce for the 2 of us for 3 nights. I just put the left overs in a couple of qt sized zip lock bags and stuck them in the freezer. I doubt the 3 nights worth of sauce cost me much more than $3. I topped the pasta off with the sauce, a little grated cheese and a handful of red chili flakes. Add a small green salad with nothing oher than oil and vinegar dressing, you have a complete, healthy and inexpensive dinner.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:12 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Is it really that inexpensive to make choc chip cookies? Seems like the toll house break-n-bake cookies are cheaper. I tried to make choc chip cookies about a year ago and it was a disaster.
Just did a "quick figure"- for us, it's about 5 bucks to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies. (I use whole wheat pastry flour and truvia, so that ups the price a bit).

Being able to get the chips from the bulk bins at the supermarket has brought the cost down considerably.

While I am certainly not one to poo poo pre-made cookie dough offhand, as I've become more cognizant of what's in pre-packaged foods, it's not something that I personally now would go for first thing if I had the option of doing my own homemade.

Just out of curiosity, how was your experience making from scratch a disaster?

Old 11-10-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Just did a "quick figure"- for us, it's about 5 bucks to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies. (I use whole wheat pastry flour and truvia, so that ups the price a bit).

Being able to get the chips from the bulk bins at the supermarket has brought the cost down considerably.

While I am certainly not one to poo poo pre-made cookie dough offhand, as I've become more cognizant of what's in pre-packaged foods, it's not something that I personally now would go for first thing if I had the option of doing my own homemade.

Just out of curiosity, how was your experience making from scratch a disaster?
Well, the cookies didn't brown correctly and they tasted like they had way too much brown sugar. I don't remember what recipe I used, though. Plus, the cookies didn't come out chewy enough.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:07 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
How much does the pre-made cookie dough cost and how many cookies do you get? I don't know what they taste like. I suspect they are made with cheaper flour and a cheaper fat, which means the flavor wouldn't be as good.

I get about 5 dozen chocolate chip cookies and figure about $5.25 for the batch, plus whatever a teaspoon of vanilla costs. I use dairy butter and lots of chocolate. Oh wait, I didn't figure in the cost of the pecans. Of course, that's just ingredients and I have to own a mixer and cookie sheets, and I use silicon baking sheets.

Ninersfan82, I'll tell you the secret of the good chocolate chip cookie if you want to try again. The very best recipe is the Tollhouse recipe that comes on the bag. Just follow the directions, except when you measure out the flour, use unbleached flour and remove one Tablespoon from the total amount.

You take them out of the oven when the middle is still only half cooked. Leave them on the pan for couple of minutes before you remove them. That gives the middle time to set up so they don't crumple when you take them off the cookie sheet.

Use the Nestle's Tollhouse semi sweet chips, in the yellow bag. Real butter tastes better and will give you a thinner cookie that is crisp around the edges and soft in the middle. If you use margarine, they don't spread out as much and they are lighter in color. They are also cheaper to make with margarine.

I buy my chips in the 4 1/2 pound bag from Costco, whenever they have a coupon. However, a lot of grocery stores put them on sale right before Christmas, sometimes as a loss leader, so you can get the one batch of cookies size of bag.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How much does the pre-made cookie dough cost and how many cookies do you get? I don't know what they taste like. I suspect they are made with cheaper flour and a cheaper fat, which means the flavor wouldn't be as good.

I get about 5 dozen chocolate chip cookies and figure about $5.25 for the batch, plus whatever a teaspoon of vanilla costs. I use dairy butter and lots of chocolate. Oh wait, I didn't figure in the cost of the pecans. Of course, that's just ingredients and I have to own a mixer and cookie sheets, and I use silicon baking sheets.

Ninersfan82, I'll tell you the secret of the good chocolate chip cookie if you want to try again. The very best recipe is the Tollhouse recipe that comes on the bag. Just follow the directions, except when you measure out the flour, use unbleached flour and remove one Tablespoon from the total amount.

You take them out of the oven when the middle is still only half cooked. Leave them on the pan for couple of minutes before you remove them. That gives the middle time to set up so they don't crumple when you take them off the cookie sheet.

Use the Nestle's Tollhouse semi sweet chips, in the yellow bag. Real butter tastes better and will give you a thinner cookie that is crisp around the edges and soft in the middle. If you use margarine, they don't spread out as much and they are lighter in color. They are also cheaper to make with margarine.

I buy my chips in the 4 1/2 pound bag from Costco, whenever they have a coupon. However, a lot of grocery stores put them on sale right before Christmas, sometimes as a loss leader, so you can get the one batch of cookies size of bag.
Thanks. $5.25 for a batch is really inexpensive. The toll-house break-n-bake cookies I buy you get 24 to a pack and it costs $2.50 in my area. I have never thought about using the recipe on a bag of choc chips. Last time I used a recipe I got online.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:35 AM

32,939 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
They're too sweet. Besides, there are no nuts in them. Everything, everything, I make has a nutritional boost.

My son ate ramen last night. It was some Asian brand. He added onion, diced red pepper, fresh parsley, chicken, lemon juice and a few other things. Maybe not the best meal, but certainly not the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink