Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:23 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times

Advertisements

Visit a Farmers Market when u can. Most flea markets have a designated Farmers market area once a week, and some areas have year round farmers markets. Often you can negotiate price. If not, there are often choices for a good price, it may not be your first choice; you may be eating turnips instead of squash, but as long as you are flexible and just keep your options open you will find decent produce ata good price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 02:38 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
The farmers market = inexpensive comments are baffling to me too.

I've shopped at them in Dallas, Richardson (TX), San Diego, and Los Angeles. The one in Santa Monica with the $11 quarts of OJ was the most expensive, but none of them were bargains. You go there for beautiful selections of expensive produce, in my experience.

For the OP, I'll add to the beans brigade. You can use a 1/2 pound (or less) of smoked or italian sausage to flavor a 1 pound sack of black or pinto beans (add an onion and a couple chiles too). This makes an enormous pot of food, so you will want to freeze it in 1-4 cup portions so you don't get sick of it.

One night you make it into burritos/tacos/tostadas, another night you can eat it as chili with sour cream on top, another night you can put it over rice.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:54 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Learn to cook ethnic food.

Find an hispanic woman who is feeding five kids and several cousins on a landscaper's salary and ask her to teach you how she does it. I'm guessing it's beans and rice, burritos, tamales... Find out where she shops for her groceries and shop there.

Find a woman from India and ask her to teach you how to cook. Buy spices, etc. from the store she shops at. Learn to cook curries, etc.

Find an Asian market and shop there. Our local Asian mark has cilantro 2/99 cents, for example.

You get the picture. Women from other countries have been feeding large families for generations using affordable, healthy ingredients.

Good luck.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Its a delightful coincidence that cheap foods are also the best for you.

Things are in season = cheaper = fresher

Pulses = cheaper = a great source of protein

Rice, see above

Clean eating actually overlaps with seasonal eating, imo.

So to put it another way, the Fresher the produce, the better it is for you, and the Freshest in season stuff should also be the cheapest.

Almost like the Universe is Encouraging us to eat fewer animals, eh.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
It's funny - I've heard a lot of people say this, but while we do have a Farmer's Market in our town, the prices are CONSIDERABLY higher than the produce I can get at the store. I'm thinking it's probably a difference between a large farmer's market in say, the city, where access is easier, versus our small one in our train station parking lot 35 miles away from the city.
Buy frozen vegetables and fruits. Flash-frozen close to where they were harvested, they are every bit as healthful as "fresh" ones that may have seen a week or more between the time they were picked and the time they appeared on the shelves of Whole Foods or other places that claim to sell nutritious items.

I get giant-sized boxes of baby spinach and kale at Costco. They're about $3 and twice the size of the supermarket boxes that cost $5.

I have a $99 NutriBullet and I make myself a nutritious half-vegetable, half-fruit drink every day. It doesn't make any difference what the items I put in there look like, so I can buy bruised fruit or over-ripe things that can be purchased cheaply. Anything I bring home that doesn't look nice goes into the freezer the minute I get it in the house and eventually gets pulverized in its frozen state. It makes my smoothies cold and delicious.

My big smoothie is one of my three meals. I add chia or flax seeds for antioxidants and if I need protein that day I add Greek yogurt and/or sliced almonds (which I also buy in large bags or tubs at Costco). I eat a whole grain cereal with fruit and skim milk for another meal.

Whole grain bread with peanut butter is a quick, low-cost, filling, nutritious main dish. As others have pointed out, home-made soups and pastas are nutritious, low-cost meals. I roast a turkey breast often and use it for more than one meal. Costco sells frozen ones year-around. They also have large bags of chicken breasts with the bones and skin removed in their freezers. Far cheaper per pound than the supposedly fresh ones sold in the supermarket (which were invariably taken out of their freezers and thawed out before they were put out for sale).

If time is an issue for you, a pressure cooker that also slow-cooks is a cost-effective purchase for making vitamin-filled meals where cheap cuts of meat are an asset rather than a detriment to taste. I tried to sell a practically new one for 75% off at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago and I had no takers. I even included a recipe book.

Popcorn is a cheap snack food that's reasonably good for you and dark chocolate is the thing to eat if you crave a sweet. Get the big bars at Trader Joe's and break them up into pieces. Or use a coupon to buy dark chocolate Hershey Kisses at your local supermarket.

By the way, local libraries are filled with cookbooks. You will definitely find ones that feature low-cost nutritious meals.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 11-04-2015 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 11-04-2015, 03:13 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Some cheap healthy foods: Brown rice, whole grain bread (some on sale all the time), chicken (cut off fat and try to stick w/ white meat), Cod (cheap fish, but healthy), broccoli, bananas, apples in season, potatoes, egg noodles, pasta (cook al'dente, healthier), peanut butter (heart healthy and cheap), oatmeal (buy generic brands--all same), olive oil in large quantities (I get mine at Trader Joe's, it's cheap), canola oil.

These are a few things that I can think of.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:22 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
If possible buy your fruits and vegetables from a farmer's market instead of the grocery store. This past weekend I bought a whole pineapple ($3), 3 zucchini ($1) 2 heads of romaine lettuce ($2), 4 oranges ($1), green beans ($1) and 2 peppers ($1) all for $9. These same items would have cost me about $20 at the regular grocery store.

I wished our farmers market had prices like that

the organic tomatoes were almost 3.00 each the pineapples were 12.00 and everything else was very high priced

if you do catch the timing right,,,im sure they do have good deals

Old 11-04-2015, 03:26 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I wished our farmers market had prices like that

the organic tomatoes were almost 3.00 each the pineapples were 12.00 and everything else was very high priced

if you do catch the timing right,,,im sure they do have good deals
$12 pineapples.

No way!

Old 11-04-2015, 03:35 PM

708 posts, read 823,313 times
Buy lots of frozen vegetables and tinned fish in bulk. Cheap and healthy.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:04 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Some cheap healthy foods: Brown rice, whole grain bread (some on sale all the time), chicken (cut off fat and try to stick w/ white meat), Cod (cheap fish, but healthy), broccoli, bananas, apples in season, potatoes, egg noodles, pasta (cook al'dente, healthier), peanut butter (heart healthy and cheap), oatmeal (buy generic brands--all same), olive oil in large quantities (I get mine at Trader Joe's, it's cheap), canola oil.

These are a few things that I can think of.
Chicken leg quarters, followed by thighs and whole (cut up) are usually the cheapest in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink