Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:39 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I really like Tinkyada brand of pastas.
Mmmm...wheat-free and gluten-free. Sounds delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 05:41 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Has anyone heard of The Geometry of Pasta? I just noticed this brand at my local today. They have a cookbook and a line of pasta in different shapes and sauces to match up with those different shapes.

The Geometry Of Pasta - Official Pasta, Sauces & Recipes

Old 11-11-2015, 06:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiannight View Post
Are you sure? I guess that American flour is far superior to European flour. Flour in the U.S. cost twice as much than flour in Europe. So it must be better quality. Just kidding
I don't know why flour and almost all other products made out of wheat are so expensive in the U.S. It's strange. Maybe farmers in Europe get higher subsidies. Or it's similar to the peanuts. The customer in the U.S. has to pay higher retail prices so the farmers can export the wheat for lower prices.
American flour is far inferior to European.

Our wheat is a GMO Genetically Modified Organism that has been so modified by engineering and in laboratories that it no longer resembles wheat from the 1950s. It could not be worse for you which is why there are massive movements against Monsanto which is a GMO factory and the largest seed factory in the world.

GMOs are illegal and banned in most other countries outside the US.

GMOs have been attributed to obesity, celiac disease, cancer and so many other things it would make your head spin.

US flour is the worst flour on the planet.

I suggest you google GMOs and Monsanto.

Corn is another thing to avoid.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:27 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Our wheat is a GMO Genetically Modified Organism that has been so modified by engineering and in laboratories that it no longer resembles wheat from the 1950s. It could not be worse for you which is why there are massive movements against Monsanto which is a GMO factory and the largest seed factory in the world.

GMOs have been attributed to obesity, celiac disease, cancer and so many other things it would make your head spin.

I agree. American flour is, if anything interior to most other flours because they have been tainted by Mosanto GMO seeds.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:33 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I really like Tinkyada brand of pastas. I have tried the gluten free version of Barilla and it is pretty damn good, as well.
I was also going to say Tinkyada. To me, their spaghetti tastes great. Its been so many years since I've had pasta made from wheat that I no longer know what I am missing ...so I don't miss it.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:16 AM

239 posts, read 194,643 times
Barilla

Old 11-12-2015, 01:21 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:

Perhaps you'd care to tell us what makes American flour far inferior to European. Forget the rants about GMOs and Monsanto and tell us how the flour itself is inferior. Is it taste, nutritive value, cost, or what? Please be specific.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:09 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I too would say DeCecco. Besides the winning result from America's Test Kitchen, it's also the brand favored by most restaurant chefs.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:46 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,131 times
At home right now I mainly have barilla, de cecco and voiello.
Among these I prefer the last two (which one depends on the shape*). Then it also depends on how do you prepare it of course...

*I'm not sure that the pasta shapes sold here are e actly the same as yours, even if the company is the same.

About egg pasta (so the pasta for lasagne, tagliatelle and so on), they are all home made by my mum. She also prepares "agnolotti" (our version of ravioli) and gnocchi. The only egg pasta-like stuff we buy are the tortellini, we buy the barilla ones.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:24 AM

94 posts, read 92,499 times
Quote:

Yes I know, as far as I know it's also not uncommon to use an additive to make the bleaching of the flour quicker. Or an additive to make the bread softer. This additives are also banned in the EU.
Despite all those measures to make the production of flour cheaper, the flour is significant more expensive in the U.S. compared to Europe. That's really strange. And it's not only the flour. Almost all crop products are significant more expensive in the U.S. It's very mysterious. Maybe higher agricultural subsidies in the EU. But vice versa, some meat, especially chicken breast filets are often extremely cheap in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink