Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2021, 11:12 AM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times

Advertisements

I grew up eating Spam. I still eat it at least a few times a week with any meal. I like to brown it up and have it with eggs and rice for breakfast. I love Spam musubi. I also use in fried rice. It's good with hot sauce or teriyaki sauce, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 11:52 AM

433 posts, read 532,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
As i have noted before, yes, I have tried Spam. Spam is a pressed meat product made mostly of pork shoulder meat. Pork Shoulder meat is harder to cut into slices than the ham as has the shoulder bone running through it. Since the pandemic, I have processed three or four shoulders as I have been able to get them from $0.69-0.99/ lb depending on the week. On an 8 lb roast, you lost about 4-6 ounces of fat and about 12-16 oz of bone. It is probably one of the cheapest parts of a dressed hog these days and is generally cheaper than chicken.

As I was watching Joyce Fung cook the recipes above, I started to think in my mind that it was time to buy some Spam. When I went to the Walmart site to order with my grocery order, i noted that a 12 oz can or Original Spam in $2.92. Two weeks ago, I bought Krogers Whole Spiral Ham for $1.29/ lb which I have frozen in packets for sandwiches. It seems like I could duplicate all five recipes using a slice of ham and get results as good as Joyce did.

I think that i will pass on using Spam for cooking anytime soon.
All good points, I keep the "Spam" around mostly because I don't have space in the freezer. That, being said, I don't remember the last time I cooked Spam (or ham for that matter.)

You mention the bone in the shoulder. I don't really consider the bone as a total waste--works well in a pot of lentils or other beans.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:56 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrZyZn5nVks

Old 01-22-2021, 01:01 PM

125 posts, read 76,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We're Jerseying the Food & Drink forum.
Great verb!: jerseying

Old 01-22-2021, 01:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayinit View Post
Great verb!: jerseying

I do not know exactly what that phrase meant ... but I kind of agree. New Jersey has some great food.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:30 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
My grandmother called it "Taylor Ham". My step-mother called it "Pork Roll". My kids called it "PacMan sandwiches".

Old 01-22-2021, 03:47 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I used to fry it up for my husband yrs. ago. I wouldn't let him touch that stuff now.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:52 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but Spam's made with ham and pork shoulder. If you want the odd parts, you'll need to buy head cheese, souse, or scrapple. I've seen the odd hog's hair in slices of head cheese.

https://www.straightdope.com/2134230...really-in-spam
I've eaten scrapple. I don't like gelled things. I've found one of my own hairs in something that I made and it creeped me out when I found it. It was the texture. Eww.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:12 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Think last time I ate Spam was way before DD was born so think maybe 25 years ago.
I will put it on the next grocery list ... to see if it is still same.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:32 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We're Jerseying the Food & Drink forum.

I had absolutely no idea what you meant by those comments - not the Jersey thing OR the "ham" one.

To me, it has always been Taylor Pork Roll. Forever. So I googled it.
So here, for anyone else that was curious:

https://jerseyporkroll.com/

"What is the difference between Taylor Ham and Taylor Pork Roll? The proper name according to the manufacturer, Taylor Provisions of Trenton NJ, is John Taylor’s “Original Taylor Pork Roll.” It was originally called “Taylor Ham” and although the name was changed in 1906 many of us in North Jersey still call it simply, “Taylor Ham.” Think of it as Kleenex is to tissues, Taylor Ham is to Pork Roll.

According to Eric of Taylor Provisions, people continue to use the two names interchangeably. We also asked him about Taystrips, or Tastystrios and he said they have not been manufactured for many years and have no plans at this time to do so in the future.

The name debate seems to be between North Jersey locals calling it Taylor Ham, and South Jersey and Philadelphians calling it “Pork Roll.”

Maybe Middletown, NJ is the dividing line? We hear from people all over the country telling us they never hear it called “pork roll” while just as many insist they’ve never heard of “Taylor Ham.”
"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink