U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 06:38 AM

77,784 posts, read 99,191,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
This is meant to account for not only the vegetables that you like to eat, but also like to cook, so as a result you eat them more than any other vegetables. Of course this only applies to you if you cook your own food a lot.

And also, do you think you are getting enough nutrition if you mainly eat those few vegetables for long term? (not counting protein or carbs, just with regard to vegetable part)

I think I cook zuccini/squash, eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes a lot because they are easy to wash, cut, and cook, and I won't be tired of the dishes made from them.

But I don't think I'd get enough nutrition from them since I'd be lacking leafy vegetables.
Well, we are huge veggie lovers, me especially, so it is hard to pick a few, but we do eat a lot of broccoli, squash, green beans and asparagus. Of course I am not counting salad greens. We have salad at least 3 or times a week. And I know tomatoes are not actually a veggie, but during the summer I probably eat one or more a day myself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 07:40 AM

6,604 posts, read 11,764,892 times
--sweet potatoes

--spinach

--kale

--carrots

--tomatoes

--onions/garlic

--yellow squash

--cabbage (red and green)

--potatoes

Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 AM

16,054 posts, read 28,369,898 times
My most frequent vegetables are:

Broccoli
Corn
Beans
Green beans
Green peas
Brussels Sprouts
Romaine
Collard greens
Carrots
Yellow squash
Zucchini

Old 11-25-2015, 08:05 AM

17,260 posts, read 8,404,843 times
Practically everything that has already been mentioned.
Sundays I visit the salad bar at our local grocery store and depending on which one and the times we get there, most often see/pick up:
greens - lettuce and kale, spinach
sliced up carrots,
mushrooms,
chick peas,
radish,
green peppers (look for red/orange and yellow but sometimes pickings there can be almost non-existent),
black olives,
sometimes broccoli,

Healthy Choice microwaveable soups
vegetable

carrots - and sometimes celery sticks - 6 packs as snacks (small peanut butter)

frozen veggies - some single versions/some combos (steamed) like to see corn, squash, potatoes (sweet, red, ...),

Shh, I'm not quite into foraging for dandelion, altho I have known some who make it into wine.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:03 AM

3,309 posts, read 4,322,089 times
I have been horrible with vegetables since the cold weather arrived.
But if I had a personal chef who was going to buy and make the food for me, I'd put on my list:

zucchini
broccoli
baby carrots
celery
green onions
onions
red potatoes
arugula
spinach

Old 11-25-2015, 10:48 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,843,524 times
spinach and lettuce

celery, onion and carrots

Old 11-25-2015, 10:50 AM

203 posts, read 306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
This is meant to account for not only the vegetables that you like to eat, but also like to cook, so as a result you eat them more than any other vegetables. Of course this only applies to you if you cook your own food a lot.

And also, do you think you are getting enough nutrition if you mainly eat those few vegetables for long term? (not counting protein or carbs, just with regard to vegetable part)

I think I cook zuccini/squash, eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes a lot because they are easy to wash, cut, and cook, and I won't be tired of the dishes made from them.

But I don't think I'd get enough nutrition from them since I'd be lacking leafy vegetables.
I eat a lot of broccoli, raw and cooked spinach.

Broccoli florets can be easily chopped off the stock, rinsed and sauteed or steamed on top of the stove (you can boil too, but be careful not to over boil or else you'll boil all the nutrients out of them).

Spinach can be eaten in a salad raw, torn up and thrown in scrambled eggs or an omelet, torn up and thrown in a soup (canned or homemade), torn up and thrown in a blended smoothie raw, or just sauteed in a pan with garlic, salt and a bit of olive oil with a spritz of water.

Delicious.

I should eat more veggies (I like them), just too tired to be bothered preparing them - lol.

I drink "Amazing Grass - Immunity Blend" to fill in the missing links. lol

Old 11-25-2015, 03:15 PM

819 posts, read 616,460 times
Kale both raw and cooked
Broccoli
Asparagus
Cauliflower
Eggplants
Brussel sprouts
Beans
Gourds
Radish
Squash
Pumpkin in pie
Beets

Old 11-25-2015, 03:33 PM

988 posts, read 995,058 times
In the summer months, we eat tons of tomatoes from the garden, as well as bell peppers and zucchini. I live in farm country, so we also get fabulous sweet corn on the cob that I will grill or use raw in salads.

These days, my go to veggies are squash (we spiralize a lot) spinach, sweet potatoes, peppers, broccoli, kale, cauliflower & carrots.

I made a chicken stirfry last night with onions, broccoli, edamame, red bell pepper & cashews that was delicious.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:02 PM

12,936 posts, read 17,890,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Practically everything that has already been mentioned.
Sundays I visit the salad bar at our local grocery store and depending on which one and the times we get there, most often see/pick up:
greens - lettuce and kale, spinach
sliced up carrots,
mushrooms,
chick peas,
radish,
green peppers (look for red/orange and yellow but sometimes pickings there can be almost non-existent),
black olives,
sometimes broccoli,

Healthy Choice microwaveable soups
vegetable

carrots - and sometimes celery sticks - 6 packs as snacks (small peanut butter)

frozen veggies - some single versions/some combos (steamed) like to see corn, squash, potatoes (sweet, red, ...),

Shh, I'm not quite into foraging for dandelion, altho I have known some who make it into wine.
Yes, it's more commonly made into wine. But you can eat the leaves as a salad. Oh, wait - those you cook? Potatoes, tomatoes, onions, carrots, corn, rice, beans.

Last edited by pvande55; 04-30-2016 at 08:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink