Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM

266 posts, read 912,046 times

Advertisements

I'm considering buying a slow cooker. Was looking at a few at Target today, and saw some very basic ones, and fancier ones with timers and thermometers.

Crockpot is the brand name most familiar, but are there other brands you would recommend? Are the extras mentioned above useful?

Any advice or recommendations on buying a slow cooker would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,948,592 times
My slow cooker has a clock with timer (but no auto shut off) and high, low, and warm settings. Works great! Have to look up the brand name later......

Old 03-04-2008, 08:25 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,545,996 times
The only thing I look for is to make sure the inside is removable for cleaning..

Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
I'd love one with a timer. Sometimes I'm gone longer than the six or eight hours needed to cook a dish, and while cooking longer doesn't ruin the food, it can make the meat more crumbly than it needs to be.

But back in the dark ages when I bought my crock pot, there were no timers, and all I wanted was one that had a removable crock.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,653,722 times
I don't have a timer on my crockpot, but i do have the high, low and warm settings. The removable "pot" is key. it allows good clean up. I am big on brand names and have the real rival crockpot! I love it, use it alot and would not be without it. in fact, i have two!
use it for soups, spaghetti sauce,chili, bbq

Old 03-05-2008, 09:32 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,437,878 times
I have a very basic one, with high, low and "keep warm" feature.
I didn't need the timer (since most foods cooked in there require and cook for hours.....5 hours or 6.....does it matter? )...and...
I didn't need the thermometer either.....since everything is going to be slow cooked for HOURS, on a constant level temp.
I second the advice from pp....make sure it has a removable insert for easy cleaning!

I usually stick my pot roast in with some beef broth and onion soup mix and some veggies, and go to work.
9 hours later, dinner is done and waiting for me.
Now, how easy and delicious is that? LOL

Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,455,158 times
Love my crockpot with the removable liner, and the keep warm feature. Be careful that you do a little research, though, when you think you've found one you like and want to purchase. I had one that had been recalled -- got w-a-a-a-y too hot! I heard about the recall a good while after it had happened, and wondered why my crockpot could almost fry stuff!

I don't have the timer feature, as I am retired these days, but it might be nice. It would keep you from over-cooking some things, like meat.

I can't see putting a whole lot of money into some small appliances, like a crockpot or hand-held mixer, as I just don't think they last like they used to. I had my Mother's little waffle iron for years, and when it finally quit, I'll bet I've been through 3 now. Same with my hand-held mixer -- and I never use a hand-held one for something like cookie dough. I think they've become victim of 'planned obsolescence or something.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
We have a slow cooker that is basically a six-quart pot sitting on top of a stand-alone heating base. You just lift the pot off the base when you're ready to serve, or you can use it on the stove or in the oven; you can put the leftovers in the fridge right in the pot, etc. Plus it makes cleanup a snap, and the heating base doubles as a small griddle. The brand is West Bend; click here for a pic.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,948,592 times
Oh yes....you definitely want a removable liner!! That is a God send.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:35 AM

932 posts, read 1,275,094 times
those plastic crock pot liners are my favorite invention EVER!

yes, my pot is removeable, but since I AM the dishwasher- its still a PITA getting it in the sink and washing it good. LOVE those liners.

I have a crock pot brand slow cooker- 6 qt I think- upgraded from a smaller one, and use it fairly often. It only has low, high and warm setting, and no timer- which is fine for me. Paid maybe $30 for it...

Last edited by mommiewrites; 03-07-2008 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: have a crOck pot- not a crAck pot...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink