Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:17 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

I mostly eat beef when I'm "out" - in fast-food burgers, from nicer restaurants as steaks. Sometimes I will buy a grass-fed piece of meat to make a large dish like a pot roast in the crock pot or something. I really do enjoy grass-fed steaks - just more flavor even if they don't tend to be as tender.

I make chili, shepherd's pie, etc. with ground buffalo.

I dunno - I'm just not THAT big on fat. I want full-fat cheeses, butters and ice cream, but otherwise I'm indifferent.

Fat, salt and sugar are really where we fall down in our eating - you need to minimize them for your health. I keep salt to a minimum when I'm cooking and try to focus on healthy fats. Sugar is my downfall. :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Lol, whatever you eat when you're not eating beef.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Delicious. Sadly it's more expensive than beef so
I don't usually eat it.
I just got a grass fed leg of lamb today for $27.
Grass fed is 30% off everyday bec no one buys it...YAY!
I remember it was orig $7 a pound, tho.
Sorry, forgot how many pounds...enough for 4 people easily.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:14 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Goat and lamb are very good tasting red meat, similar to beef. Somewhat better for the environment but obviously not as good as chicken, fish, or vegetarianism.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:54 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
Rat Tart..

Old 11-30-2015, 08:06 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I probably eat too much beef with all the reports coming out of its harmful effects. One alternative is chicken. Any others?
I gave up beef and pork decades ago. Alternative?

1. Poultry (chicken, turkey, cornish hens)
2. Fish (salmon, tuna, whatever)
3. Beans (beans w/rice is a common southern dish. Heavily spiced and luscious...very filling. Yum. Usually red beans.)
4. Cheese (the wonderful world of cheese. there are all sorts of cheeses...different flavors, hard cheese, soft cheese)
5. Dairy (yogurt - not the kind with sugar; cottage cheese. Yum.)
6. I don't buy these often, but a brand called Morningstar makes frozen things intended to pass, sort of, for meat. Sausage patties, black bean burger patties, corny dogs. They're okay, for a change. Esp if I have a coupon.
7. Turkey bacon.
8. Ground turkey. It's wetter and softer than ground beef, but you can still cook it up into patties & make burgers, or whatever else you do with ground beef.
9. Whole grain pasta with tomato sauce with or without ground turkey (spaghetti with turkey meat tomato sauce, for example).
10. EGGS (yum yum)
11. Salads with eggs, cheese, nuts. Add chicken sometimes for a change.
12. Chili with turkey (Wolf makes this)
13. Meatless chili w/beans (Wolf)

Note: To make beans a complete protein, you need to eat it with a carb, like rice. I don't always do that, but wanted to mention it.

That's about it. The body needs only a certain amt of protein. I think a lot of people eat way too much protein.

I gave up beef and pork for ethical reasons. But I had no idea the health effects it would have. I have better blood work now at 60 than I had 30 years ago. Of course, I didn't replace beef & pork with cake and doughnuts. I do walk every day, too. And I quit smoking about 10 years ago. And I feel better knowing that I'm at less risk for cancer because of the no beef, no pork, quit smoking, and walking daily. And weight control.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:50 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
someone mentioned ostrich. I use to get emu from a farm where they raised the birds for the oil and feathers. The meat was red. It was excellent.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I probably eat too much beef with all the reports coming out of its harmful effects. One alternative is chicken. Any others?
First of all, there can be harmful effects from almost anything. The latest was the story in our paper yesterday about FDA and sugar. Luckily we are not huge sugar eaters, but they were even recommending you probably do not want to eat low fat yogurt. It is getting to the place we shouldn't eat anything, just pop a pill, until they tell us the coating on the pill isn't good for us.

That being said, we have cut back considerably on our red meat intake. We usually only consume it once or twice a week and then small amounts. Of course this isn't always the case, but generally it is. We eat chicken a couple times a week, pork at least once, fish, at least once and sometimes we go vegetarian one day. A good way to cut back on size of meat servings is to mix the beef with something else, like a stew. Our days of 8 to 12 oz or more pieces of steak are not closer to 6 oz. Even making a meat loaf cuts back on the amount of beef. A lb of chuck will make a nice meat loaf for 4 people.

BTW, people will say fish is too expensive and this is true, but it is so rich you need a lot less, so it ends up not being all that pricy.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Anything wrong with roast lamb?
Only the price!!!!

Old 12-01-2015, 07:31 AM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We have also started cutting back the amount of meat we eat and add in more vegetables instead.
it sounds like you are following a natural progression of eating less meat

for me, pork was the first to go then shellfish then I stopped eating beef, then I stopped eating chicken, and for years only flat fish remained, then i stopped eating fish.

my initial reasons for reducing meat were for concern over my health, then I noticed how much better i felt physically and emotionally, and also spiritually and mentally felt better too. Financially it also felt better.

occasionally (every few years) i say what's the big deal and go back and have a tuna fish sandwich or roast beef at someone's house or chicken at a barbecue. Then I am sick for several days and feel horrible, and am reminded in a big way that those are not good food choices for me.

i firmly believe that our bodies have an inner intelligence and inner wisdom about what at any given time is "good" for us. When we follow that, we thrive. When we ignore or override that wisdom, it leads to a variety of sickness. i have worked in healthcare for decades, so get to see up close on a daily basis (and not just "read about" or "hear about") the sickness and disease and illness that result from how we live our lives.

i worked for a couple years at a cardiac specialty hospital (heart surgery) and the surgical nurses described in lurid detail the strings of fat that were pulled from patients on the operating table who ate meat, from the accumulated fat congealed in their veins.

for me it made sense to stop eating meat. i ask the universe regularly "increase my desire for that which is good for me, and remove any desire for that which is harmful to me." i find this effective in the most remarkable ways. at my last physical (and I am in my late 50s) the doctor said it was the best set of labs he'd ever seen on anyone of any age, and he was surprised and asked me how i got so healthy and I said "no meat and no dairy" and then he got irritated, not what he wanted to hear. (as a side note, i was told in 1999 that i had less than 6 months to live.)

also since i stopped eating meat, i find my sense of taste and smell are returning and are much more vivid and pleasing, so something like eating a mandarin orange, or a baked potato with lime and garlic, is just plain delicious.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-01-2015 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink