Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:19 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Every Aussie I've known eats everything put in front of them.
LOL, you got it there, mate! Been to Oz, and they are pretty anglo in their tastes. Translation: they will adore anything American, because it's...so...Australian!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:20 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh good lord - hot dogs, hamburger and pizza are not interesting to an Aussie. (no offence ). Australians have great burgers and had them since I was a child in the 70's, and a huge Italian population.

I agree with the Southern or Cajun cuisine aspect. Any kind of soul food is cool. Also Australians are usually stunned by NY style delis and the massive amounts of meats on sandwiches.

Please OP don't take them to an American SE Asian (Thai for eg) or Chinese. Those cuisines in Oz are far superior to the American version. Geography.

HAHAHAHAHA! Ok, my bad. Shows what I know. LOL Thank you for letting us know.

BTW, NO offence taken. Glad to be corrected.

I didn't know there was a huge population of Italians "down under".

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Rufus!

Old 12-09-2015, 02:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
If I, as an American, were to travel to another country, the last thing I would want is to be fed a lot of food from home. Part of travel is experiencing (and tasting) things that represent the country I'm visiting.

Serve him American food. He will probably thank you for it. If there's anything he desperately wants from home, either he'll bring it with him, or he'll be able to survive without for a day or two until you can take him to get whatever.
I agree. It's one of the most enjoyable parts of travel to foreign countries, especially if you can share it with locals.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:52 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I have an Australian cousin visiting in January.

I don't plan to turn myself into an Australian chef, but want some ideas on what she might like/not like.

For example, I will ask, but I assume she is more likely to drink tea for breakfast than coffee. Additionally, I assume a Lipton tea bag is probably not up to snuff. But is Bigelows English breakfast or Earl Grey?

What is a typical Australian breakfast or lunch?

I am a good cook in the southern American tradition, but have also lived among Italians and mastered that cuisine. So, I am fairly confident that most of what I serve tastes good to most people.

I'm not looking to reinvent what I serve my guests, just looking to make sure she is comfortable and if there is anything unique that most Australians like that I am aware of it and provide it.

Any suggestions from either Australians or those familiar with their cuisine? Anything special that I should have on hand?
Probably just try and find bread that's not sweet. Other than that, seriously, don't stress. Even the bread will just be novel and something she avoids.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:59 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Things to consider that we have here that are hard to get there.

Maine Lobster
Blue Crab
Dungeness Crab
King & Snow Crab
Our Beef, pork, chicken
Southern staples
Cajun
Our vegetables
Our fruit
Mexican food

A simple walk through any grocery store would be something new.

Most all this food is easy to make, much cheaper than going to a restaurant.

Just a simple mac and cheese, hot dog, hamburger, pizza, could be interesting.
ROFLOL, yeah, no. Unless the OP actually lives at dungeness or Maine, they should not be serving them to an Australian. And do you seriously think hot dogs are interesting to anyone in this day and age?

Soul food, mexican food and southern BBQ, yes, defintiely.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:48 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
I have an Australian cousin visiting in January.

I don't plan to turn myself into an Australian chef, but want some ideas on what she might like/not like.

For example, I will ask, but I assume she is more likely to drink tea for breakfast than coffee. Additionally, I assume a Lipton tea bag is probably not up to snuff. But is Bigelows English breakfast or Earl Grey?

What is a typical Australian breakfast or lunch?

I am a good cook in the southern American tradition, but have also lived among Italians and mastered that cuisine. So, I am fairly confident that most of what I serve tastes good to most people.

I'm not looking to reinvent what I serve my guests, just looking to make sure she is comfortable and if there is anything unique that most Australians like that I am aware of it and provide it.

Any suggestions from either Australians or those familiar with their cuisine? Anything special that I should have on hand?

1st most important question in what State do you live?

Old 12-09-2015, 05:03 PM

358 posts, read 349,088 times
Show your guest a region speciality from your City or Metro or State. Show off what great things you have around you. When people come here to where I live in California we usually eat a lot of Mexican food as that is a local item that is done well.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:49 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,140 times
Yes, I agree about location. Each region has their own specialties. In California, you can find really good Mexican and Asian food. The Midwest has good steak, Maryland has good seafood, etc...

Old 12-09-2015, 11:19 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Ummm ... kangaroo burger? Grilled koala chops? Wombat stew? Crocodile soup?

If you can't those ingredients, how about a meat loaf in the shape of the Sydney Opera House?

Old 12-09-2015, 11:54 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
There you go. She can get Australian food back home; she may be disappointed to come all this way and not get something authentically American. I had some Brazilian friends over for dinner and made fried catfish, candied yams, collard greens, and buttermilk biscuits. I doubt your cousin can get that back home at any "American" restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink