Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:21 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,805,165 times

Advertisements

Why are so many people still recommending boneless/skinless chicken breasts? Stop depriving your body of fats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 08:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,250,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Why are so many people still recommending boneless/skinless chicken breasts? Stop depriving your body of fats.
Some of us LIKE boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,438,897 times
Supply and demand. There arent enough people in your area that desire a product like this to justify creating a restaurant to fill that niche. If more people wanted it, then it would exist. Thats how markets work.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Some of us LIKE boneless, skinless chicken breasts
I'm sure some people do, but I'd bet that most are under the misguided assumption that boneless & skinless breasts are far healthier than the tastier, juicier thighs.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:29 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Soup can take a reasonably long time to cook (depending on the soup). And most soups need a fair amount of salt to taste like anything.
Eh, make it in a crock pot, and you don't even have to be there while it cooks. There are plenty of options for flavoring soups without excess salt, if that is a concern. Homemade soup is among the easiest of things to do when you're pressed for time, if you have a slow cooker, because if you make a hearty one, it's an easy one-bowl meal.

OP,look...you will always have to interrupt your busy schedule to eat. Whether you stop what you are doing to go purchase pre-prepared restaurant food, or stop what you are doing to grocery shop for fresh food that requires minimal prep,you are taking the time. It's up to you which you choose. But cutting down on the restaurant route in favor of more healthy options isn't nearly as hard or time-consuming as some make it out to be.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Quote:
As noted on about a trillion recent threads, some find the taste of dark meat unappealing. I don't care at all about cutting fat, but it will be a cold day in hell before I voluntarily eat a chicken thigh or drumstick. Or duck, for that matter, or any other source of dark meat.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,915,556 times
Quote:
In this particular instance, I think it's because they cook more quickly. My favorite way to cook dark meat is to braise it, bone-in/skin-on, which takes more time and effort than pan-frying a BSCB then saucing it quickly with wine, lemon, vinegar, butter, etc.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As noted on about a trillion recent threads, some find the taste of dark meat unappealing. I don't care at all about cutting fat, but it will be a cold day in hell before I voluntarily eat a chicken thigh or drumstick. Or duck, for that matter, or any other source of dark meat.
I'm trying to understand. Is it that you weren't raised eating these meats and never developed a taste for them?

I absolutely love duck. I can consume an entire one within a few hours. Sweet, greasy meat!

Old 12-15-2015, 08:49 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,466,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Good for you!
You're one of the fortunate ones.

While I dont have any health issues and I do run almost everyday for exercise. I'm increasingly becoming annoyed and how I have almost zero options when it comes to eating decently. I just HATE the food around me. I try and select the healthier stuff at panera an some other places, but when I get it... it's still crap. Even salads are wilty and the tomatoes are like a pale red and the lettuce is like that cheap ice berg crap. ugh

Sorry for my venting
No, your venting is good to hear and more Americans should demand better food choices than what we currently have. We should all be appalled by what stores and restaurants are providing us. Even the stuff they advertise as healthy really isn't. Why can't there be healthy fast food chains? And why do the few restaurants that do serve healthy food have to be so ridiculously expensive?

Accessibility to healthy food should be a right, but it can be hard to find or not affordable for those on a budget. Ultimately it's up to the individual to make healthy food choices, but it certainly could be made easier if businesses made it a priority and wanted to invest in its community by providing nutrition to people instead of crap. The problem is the processed crap is making them money, so why would they change?

It's a shame though. We could easily tackle the obesity epidemic if crap was the exception rather than the norm. The best preventative medicine for obesity would be to not even make purchasing crap an option. Obviously that will never happen because then people would be up in arms about the government infringing upon their freedoms.

There is no winning here. You just have to do the best you can in spite of being bombarded by unhealthy choices.

Last edited by maniac77; 12-15-2015 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
No, your venting is good to hear and more Americans should demand better food choices than what we currently have. We should all be appalled by what stores and restaurants are providing us. Even the stuff they advertise as healthy really isn't. Why can't there be healthy fast food chains? And why do the few restaurants that do serve healthy food have to be so ridiculously expensive?

Accessibility to healthy food should be a right, but it can be hard to find or not affordable for those on a budget. Ultimately it's up to the individual to make healthy food choices, but it certainly could be made easier if businesses made it a priority and wanted to invest in its community by providing nutrition to people instead of crap. The problem is the processed crap is making them money, so why would they change?

It's a shame though. We could easily tackle the obesity epidemic if crap was the exception rather than the norm. The best preventative medicine for obesity would be to not even make purchasing crap an option. Obviously that will never happen because then people would be up in arms about the government infringing upon their freedoms.

There is no winning here. You just have to do the best you can in spite of the bombardment of unhealthy choices.
You kind of forfeit the right to a healthy lifestyle when you live in a metropolitan area. Living off the grid while hunting and gathering/growing your own food is still an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink