Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:11 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times

Advertisements

Have only had the Jambalya one and I think it's pretty good combined with smoked sausage. It's a little high on the sodium, but that's generally the case with boxed mixes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:29 AM

620 posts, read 638,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Too salty, and very poor quality 'rice'. I mean it's way, way different than real rice you'd get from an Asian store. Is it really rice?
You realize there are many, many different variations of rice, right? All of them "real" and many of them "way, way different" than Asian varieties.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:37 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Have only had the Jambalya one and I think it's pretty good combined with smoked sausage. It's a little high on the sodium, but that's generally the case with boxed mixes.
Adding extra 'stuff' (tomatoes, onions, green peppers, vegetables, etc.) and making a *big* batch gets you plenty of leftovers for quick meals later, and cuts down on the sodium ratio. If the extras take away more of the heat and spiciness and flavor than you would prefer, adding other spices, peppers, hot sauce, etc. without sodium will bring it back.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 AM

620 posts, read 638,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Adding extra 'stuff' (tomatoes, onions, green peppers, vegetables, etc.) and making a *big* batch gets you plenty of leftovers for quick meals later, and cuts down on the sodium ratio. If the extras take away more of the heat and spiciness and flavor than you would prefer, adding other spices, peppers, hot sauce, etc. without sodium will bring it back.
And starting with the Lower Sodium variety helps a lot too.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:52 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky, but then why start with a prepackaged mix? If you are adding ingredients to dilute flavors/qualities you aren't fond of and then adding other spices to pump up the flavor, why not just begin with regular rice and regular beans? You will pay 1/10 as much and get exactly the flavors and sodium levels you are looking for.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
I love these but just like a few others said, I find them too salty so I add more plain rice. I cook them in a covered pan with a large cooking area and they seem to cook in close to the times stated on the box. I also add whatever else is hanging around the kitchen like leftover meat or veggies. Tasty and fast.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:35 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
We like the Red Beans and Rice, but they take way longer to cook than the directions on the package. More like an hour (instructions say 25 minutes).
We tried the Gumbo last night, which also says cooks in 25 minutes. I cooked it for an hour and 15 minutes and it was still more of a rice "soup" than a gumbo. I probably should have cooked it another half hour, but we were getting hungry. lol
Anyone else use their products and have issues with the cooking time?
You are not following the directions properly if it is taking an hour for the Red Beans and Rice to get done.

Try Uncle Ben's Red Beans and Rice in an orange envelope, 90 seconds in the microwave.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:42 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
We like the Red Beans and Rice, but they take way longer to cook than the directions on the package. More like an hour (instructions say 25 minutes).
We tried the Gumbo last night, which also says cooks in 25 minutes. I cooked it for an hour and 15 minutes and it was still more of a rice "soup" than a gumbo. I probably should have cooked it another half hour, but we were getting hungry. lol
Anyone else use their products and have issues with the cooking time?
Altitude?

Old 12-17-2015, 02:48 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
trying using it for stuff green peppers...it is to die for
That's what I do! But I mix it with some less salty brown rice or a wild brown mixture.

Yes! To die for!

Old 12-17-2015, 02:52 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky, but then why start with a prepackaged mix? If you are adding ingredients to dilute flavors/qualities you aren't fond of and then adding other spices to pump up the flavor, why not just begin with regular rice and regular beans? You will pay 1/10 as much and get exactly the flavors and sodium levels you are looking for.
I get what your saying. However, not all cooks are as confident as you might be. Doctoring a packaged mix, soup or sauce, are time honored traditions among those of us who cook daily.

For example, I am not of Italian heritage and I have never, ever made tomato sauce from scratch. I buy a good brand and I play with it.

Never had any complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink