Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:59 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Has anyone noticed it's hard to find bread in stores that is really soft anymore? I don't know if it's because less people are buying bread, so they sit on the shelves longer, or what. It used to be easy to find a soft loaf. Now I have to feel a lot of loaves to find one that is soft, but even then I rarely find one that's as soft as I'd like.

But speaking of white bread - my mom made homemade bread when I was a kid and the smell of the bread rising was wonderful.
The only bread loaf I ever had that was soft was Wonderbread, and that hasn't been in this area for years. We're stuck with the old dry bread now.

I'm still trying to figure out why bread has such a bad rap. People have been eating bread since the dawn of time. When I make my own, I never put sugar in it. Just flour, water, salt, and yeast. So is it the flour that's supposed to be so bad?

By the way, I've heard from a lot of people that if you can get your own mill and grind some wheat through it, like Bob's Red Mill wheat (whatever it's called), the wheat bread from that is supposed to be divine. Our food bank got in a bunch of cans of wheat at one time, but nobody knew what to do with them. I did, but I didn't have a mill, so......One of these days I'd like to grind my own wheat and see if the bread from that really is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Half and half well never be taboo in my house.

As for white bread, I'm only interested in it warm and fresh- baked, or in the form of a crusty loaf, baguette, rolls, etc.from a bakery. I don't care for sandwich loaves.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:39 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I love Pepperidge farm country white bread and that's the only one I'll buy as far as white bread goes. We mostly eat wheat or rye bread in our house. I have not had white bread in like 10 years.
I like the Pepperidge Farm brand of country white bread and also Oroweat country white bread....

Old 12-17-2015, 11:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I gave up white bread at one time, but now I eat bread in general rarely enough that I eat white if I want.

Baguettes, ciabatta, portuguese rolls, kaiser rolls, and bagels are what I usually go for. I'll eat white sandwich bread for grilled cheese and PB&J, too.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:00 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I don't mind whole wheat breads with some things...but toast, and PBJs, or grilled cheese, IMO, require WHITE bread.

Lol, about the half and half....gotta have it!
Agree! Don't forget the BLT's--must have white bread in my book!

Old 12-18-2015, 05:58 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
The Peasant White from this place is simply the best!

Bread Menu : Springmill Bread Company

(a side note - the "Seven Grain Crunch" is my favorite).

Old 12-18-2015, 06:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I'm an oddball in that even as a kid I didn't like white sandwich bread; it had to be rye, pumpernickel, or a real toothy, hearty, wheat bread. Every now and then I'll have a Hawaiian roll or some brioche, but that's about it.

I'm kind of hooked on Ezekiel bread right now; I'm not convinced it has any magical digestive powers, and for the most part I sit there asking myself why I like it so much, considering the acquired taste and the sheer amount of jaw effort required to consume it.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:56 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
People have been eating bread since the dawn of time. When I make my own, I never put sugar in it. Just flour, water, salt, and yeast. So is it the flour that's supposed to be so bad?
How can you make bread without some form of sugar in it?

The yeast needs the sugar (food) for them to do their job.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:34 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Fluffer Nutters were invented in Massachusetts where they make Marshmallow Fluff. I've lived here all my and never, ever had a Fluffer Nutter. Don't want one either.
That's what they call them in the ads now. I am definitely talking only MA, circa mid 1950s, genuine Marshmallow Fluff and PB.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:47 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Ah Wonder Bread, I grew up on that. I still eat white bread, better for sandwiches, better for toast with real butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink