Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:11 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

Mostly coffee for my Keurig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 07:29 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
some good points...

for anyone doing a local fundraiser, asking for help at local stores,,,and they don't help....this is part of the reason,
also, when town property taxes double because the small businesses have closed.... you will know why...

and when there are no more jobs in the area because the stores have closed.....this is why..

sounds extreme?

we have a local mainstreet... with many businesses that are struggling,,,not just because Walmart, and home depot is 8 miles away, its because more and more buy online,,,but hey its a free country,, I buy online too
but...when I see more and more CLOSED signs on brick and mortar stores,,,those people former business owners move away with family and kids,,
and you can see and its happening now....less kids...more consolidations of schools..= less teachers..

its all connected... maybe not so much in the big cities,,,but in small towns...yes

theres a grocery store that's going to be built 6 miles away ..it will cost millions, its his dream to build the store and offer the town more,
he will employ all he can from local contractors.. that NEED this work.. from electricians to flooring, to roofers, to pavers, to general building contractors ...this will provide again,,,much needed employment..this owner could save a small amount on hiring a much larger construction company a 100 miles away,,,but what message does that send to the locals??
it wouldn't be right..

this store will hire 35 more employees ... many part time single mothers, many an opportunity to get off state aid..

its all connected..
Seems like there are a fair number of people like me here. People who basically have pretty good local shopping - but use on-line shopping to get somewhat exotic items we can't buy locally (there are also some who live in such large metro areas that there's almost nothing they can't buy locally). Then there are people like you and oldtrader - where the local options are pretty slim.

I'm not sure a small local place can ever be price-competitive with a larger chain. So the question becomes one of how much more money locals are able/willing to pay. And perhaps - if an area is on the poorer side - whether an operator can make a profit if a large % of locals are shopping with things like food stamps. Grocery stores have notoriously thin profit margins. And there are economies of scale when it comes to larger operators.

Walmart succeeded in many smaller towns and semi-rural areas because it met the needs of its local customers when it came to choice and price. Do you think that the place that is being built in your town can succeed competing against an outfit like Walmart? Note that where I live - Walmart has tons of stiff competition. From similar operations - like Costco. And non-similar ones. Like Publix. Which offers better choice - a nicer shopping experience - and - in some cases - even better prices. Robyn

Old 12-19-2015, 07:41 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Exotic spices, vegetarian items. Ft. Myers is not famous for having anything for a variable palate.
Amazon is my friend.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:47 AM

106 posts, read 116,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Mostly coffee for my Keurig.
Me, too!

I did buy Soy Sauce from Amazon just because it was in a Hello Kitty bottle! And Jelly Belly jelly beans!
Attached Thumbnails
What Food Things Do You Buy On Line?-image.jpeg  

Old 12-19-2015, 07:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
I have never purchased food online, and don't ever plan to.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:57 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
I buy bulk organic walnuts and almonds online. I'm very close (10 minutes away max in heavy traffic) to a Whole Foods, Grower's Direct, Trader Joe's, and Mother's (local health food store), but the prices are much more reasonable at Amazon, where I make my purchases.

Last edited by pacific2; 12-19-2015 at 09:27 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Anyone that still shops for perishables at brick and mortar stores is kind of old fashioned.
Or interested in supporting their local economy.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:20 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
I live where there aren't a whole lot of shopping options, but I can find anything we need within the wider area. But for those items we love or gift to others who love them...special EVOLs, balsamic vinegars, gourmet coffees, specialty chocolates...yes, definitely online.

And to the poster who mentioned the Vermont Country Store, YES! Have a look at their online catalog and tell me you can't find something old-fashioned that you'd still love, but can't find locally! Just a mouth-watering selection of oldies but goodies!

Old 12-19-2015, 10:37 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
some good points...

for anyone doing a local fundraiser, asking for help at local stores,,,and they don't help....this is part of the reason,
also, when town property taxes double because the small businesses have closed.... you will know why...

and when there are no more jobs in the area because the stores have closed.....this is why..

sounds extreme?

we have a local mainstreet... with many businesses that are struggling,,,not just because Walmart, and home depot is 8 miles away, its because more and more buy online,,,but hey its a free country,, I buy online too
but...when I see more and more CLOSED signs on brick and mortar stores,,,those people former business owners move away with family and kids,,
and you can see and its happening now....less kids...more consolidations of schools..= less teachers..

its all connected... maybe not so much in the big cities,,,but in small towns...yes

theres a grocery store that's going to be built 6 miles away ..it will cost millions, its his dream to build the store and offer the town more,
he will employ all he can from local contractors.. that NEED this work.. from electricians to flooring, to roofers, to pavers, to general building contractors ...this will provide again,,,much needed employment..this owner could save a small amount on hiring a much larger construction company a 100 miles away,,,but what message does that send to the locals??
it wouldn't be right..

this store will hire 35 more employees ... many part time single mothers, many an opportunity to get off state aid..

its all connected..
I'm in your camp. Plus I talk to the butcher and the produce manager about items. There is an IGA store about 40 miles from me near Canyon Ferry lake where I ice fish. I know he has THE BEST brats around. That's his specialty, makes it all in store and fresh. No pre-packaged crap, all hand-crafted. I'll buy 10lbs when I'm there.

In Westby MT where I pheasant hunt I go to Al's grocery- another IGA in a town of 500 people. He has the best smoked pork chops and fresh bacon ever- again all handmade in store.

Who wouldn't want to take advantage of that? Plus as you indicated the money spent locally tends to stay locally, and for some towns that's a huge deal. I kinda like my small town, so I try to support it whenever I can. Being involved in Scouting i know all too well how much support they provide to the community. Does Amazon donate to the local woman shelter or to the local youth clubs? Nope.

I like to support our local merchants, from grocers to breweries. I no longer buy 'big corporate' beer. I support our local brewery's and fill my growlers there.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:42 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Alaskan seafood
Dried Blenheim apricots from California
Keurig coffee
Cat Food
Popcorn
Chocolates from DeBrand Fine Chocolates
My husband's feeding tube food
Salad dressing from Lucini

I think that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink