Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon

Sodium Nitrite in Vegetables | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

2 articles regarding nitrates, it appears humans produce more nitrates in their own saliva than they could ever eat at one time........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 09:59 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Sodium Nitrite in Vegetables | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

2 articles regarding nitrates, it appears humans produce more nitrates in their own saliva than they could ever eat at one time........
People who want to eat cured meats will continue to do so; for others, there is this from the second link (Sodium Nitrite in Vegetables | Healthy Eating | SF Gate). Bolded in the text was done by me.

"Risks

Normally, sodium nitrate in vegetables does not pose the same health risk as nitrites found in processed meat
. The nitrites added to processed meats as preservatives and color enhancers can combine with proteins called amines to form compounds called nitrosamines. Nitrosamines have shown cancer-causing potential in animal studies. Nitrates and nitrites themselves do not have cancer-causing potential. Vegetables contain ascorbic acid, a form of vitamin C and an antioxidant which helps prevent nitrosamine formation, although it might not completely prevent it. Store fresh cooked vegetables high in nitrates for no more than one to two days in the refrigerator or cook only as much as you plan to eat at one time."

That's in agreement with Dr. Greger's Nutritionfacts.org link posted above. Still, I'm not here to convert cured meat eaters away from their love of the foods.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:40 PM

This Kresser character seems like he is trying to fool his readers. For example, he states:

"There have been major reviews of the scientific literature that found no link between nitrates or nitrites and human cancers, or even evidence to suggest that they may be carcinogenic."

Notice that he does not really tackle the problem of nitrosamines.

But again, for those who like processed meats, eat away and enjoy. I'm not here to change you.

Last edited by pacific2; 12-20-2015 at 10:54 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 12:58 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Nitrates are not nitrites!

This is a very frequent issue of confusion.

Nitrates (NO3-) are common in green vegetables, since they are the breakdown product of both fertilizers and organic nitrogen sources in soil. Some inorganic nitrogen fertilizers are in the form of nitrate to begin with.

Nitrites (NO2-) are present in trace amounts in soil, but are commonly used as an additive in cured meats. Nitrites are inherently unstable in the environment.

Nitrites are carcinogenic. Nitrates are not. But here's where it gets interesting - bacteria in the human intestinal tract can convert a small amount of nitrate into nitrite.

One oxygen atom makes all the difference between water and corrosive hydrogen peroxide. It's important to get terminology correct.

The fact that bacteria in the body can convert nitrate into nitrite means that nitrates have the potential to be toxic. But don't confuse them for nitrites.

Sodium nitrite is used in cured meats. Sodium nitrate is a fertilizer.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:13 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
it appears humans produce more nitrates in their own saliva than they could ever eat at one time........
Yup, just like humans produce more cholesterol from their liver each day (3,000 mg!) than they could ever eat probably in a whole day. Cholesterol is absolutely essential for normal brain function, and even life itself.

Nitrates are just protein in another form. If the OP gets headaches from eating salted meats, perhaps a blood pressure check is in order. All this is a lot of Bravo Sierra!

Old 12-21-2015, 06:15 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
What about the addition of h2o to no3 or no2? I would think this would play some roll. Veggies are filled with water.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
What about the addition of h2o to no3 or no2? I would think this would play some roll. Veggies are filled with water.
This short (2:48 min.), but comprehensive and well-researched video clip by Dr. Michael Greger, might help to clear things up for you. Check Post #2 for the transcript, if you wish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7zTJ5LnO1E

Old 12-21-2015, 10:48 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't give a hoot. Bacon and sausages are never exiting my diet.
Would this apply if the bacon was uncured and the sausage made with no nitrites? Or are you a vegetarian? I quit buying store bought sausage several years ago any make my own now. Nothing but pork meat and spices and no curing salt (nitrite). I know exactly what goes into it. As for bacon, it's a bit too much trouble to make on your own although it is possible. I know I've done it. It takes a week a dry brining and then smoking. The nitrite is normally used to inhibit bacterial growth during the cold smoking (less than 200F). You could buy un-cured bacon as well.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:25 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Would this apply if the bacon was uncured and the sausage made with no nitrites? Or are you a vegetarian? I quit buying store bought sausage several years ago any make my own now. Nothing but pork meat and spices and no curing salt (nitrite). I know exactly what goes into it. As for bacon, it's a bit too much trouble to make on your own although it is possible. I know I've done it. It takes a week a dry brining and then smoking. The nitrite is normally used to inhibit bacterial growth during the cold smoking (less than 200F). You could buy un-cured bacon as well.
Reread my commenting. I'm never going to stop eating bacon or sausage because of nitrates.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:05 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Reread my commenting. I'm never going to stop eating bacon or sausage because of nitrates.
LOL, Your choice of words threw me off. I thought it said "existing" instead of "exiting". My mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink