Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:09 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times

Advertisements

I didn't know that Spam had nitrites. I do know that cold preserved meats usually do, but I don't eat them regularly. I ate Spam on a regular basis when I was a kid and I occasionally still enjoy it as an adult. I put some oil on a pan and I fry up slices of it and then fry some eggs and put it in a sandwich. People seem to love those sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 12:34 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Would this apply if the bacon was uncured and the sausage made with no nitrites? Or are you a vegetarian? I quit buying store bought sausage several years ago any make my own now. Nothing but pork meat and spices and no curing salt (nitrite). I know exactly what goes into it. As for bacon, it's a bit too much trouble to make on your own although it is possible. I know I've done it. It takes a week a dry brining and then smoking. The nitrite is normally used to inhibit bacterial growth during the cold smoking (less than 200F). You could buy un-cured bacon as well.
most fresh, uncured sausage in the stores in made with just ground pork and spices..

ive made hundreds of thousands of pounds of sausage and sell in my stores

Old 12-23-2015, 10:01 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Cure contains sodium nitrite and sodium nitrates which are used only if the product is subject to form botulism during the curing or processing time. Bacons, hams, and other meats 'cold cured' will typically have them. Ironically over time the sodium nitrate breaks down into sodium nitrite, whereas no nitrates will be present. Typically custom meats contain just enough cure to ward off botulism, however a lot of mega-processed foods contain a lot more- just to be safe (and to avoid serious lawsuits).

Bacon is a usual suspect in the nitrate / health debate, but a lot of that also has to do with the fact a lot of people like burnt bacon (which is ANOTHER story in of itself). Burnt meats are no good for us. Look it up. Bacon included.

This topic has been brought up before, and I see some are pointing out how vitamin C (present in most vegetables with nitrites) makes the issue moot. It is interesting to note that ever since I can remember, I was always told to drink OJ when I eat bacon. My mother in law learned that from her family in Germany back in the 40's-50's and my grandparents said the same thing.

As always- moderation is key, and frankly a lot of the mega-processed products are more than likely worse than custom processed meats. The mantra is all in moderations and in the old adage rings true- 'You get what you pay for'..

I use cure when I make homemade pastrami and any smoke cured sausages. There is no avoiding it (unless I want to risk my family and friends with botulism). The amount used is only the amount necessary to ward that nasty off, and then if properly stored and prepared the impact is certainly negligible.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:39 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I can't stand processed meats but you can get sausage and, I think bacon without nitrates. And kosher hot dogs are great!

I never knew that about nitrates in celery! That does sorta blow my mind. I read the quote from the article with a bit of glaze in my eyes.

Here's the thing. When you buy lunchmeat or something and it's labeled 'NO ADDED NITRATES," it means they really added celery squeezin's. Because they contain nitrates. I can't believe they get away with that, but...

Old 12-23-2015, 07:36 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Don't be fooled by the crap.. Look it up for yourself.. Geez...

Old 12-24-2015, 04:37 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But I'm not asking whether they're carcinogenic. I'm asking why I have negative effects only in some cases.
I am only surmising, from my experience with hormone replacement, that the body knows the difference. I took HRT for only a few months before getting a serious DVT. My doctor said there is no difference, chemically, between hormones one's body made for 50 years, and the pill form. I will never believe it. The body wants natural things, not chemical imitations of things.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Nitrates kill good bacteria from your stomach. The less good germs you have the weaker your immune system and the more allergic you are to different foods as your body has to do more fighting. The less preservatives the better, the more healthy germs we keep in the body the healthier our immune system.

Same goes for antibiotics. It kills all the good germs in the body and the bad ones become more powerful over time as it adapts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink