Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 04:17 AM

406 posts, read 434,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I was thinking this. (I think Oregonwoodsmoke is a female, can't swear to it. I am, too.)

And then I was thinking: Where's the OP?

I know this: I made so much cookie dough and froze it we can eat fresh baked cookies every night if we want. And now I'M going to be chubs. My dear other half (male) has a massive sweet tooth.
My weight is irrelevant to the conversation. Im just finding that there are indeed people who genuinely seem to hate sweet foods which I find so puzzling. And in my circle I feel as if I have to defend my food choices over someone eating loads of bacon and such. I guess I just get tired of the food police.

Anyway thanks everyone. It makes me feel better Im not the only male out there with a preference for sweet. Not that Im hating on bacon mind you. Love the savory as well.

As I say elsewhere. My post really isnt about weight or healthy as such. Ive been ridiculed by the low carbers for eating fruit!

In short I guess this is just a rant about the food police as well when you go against social norms and it seems every food out there is being shamed as "junk" these days. The straw that broke the camels back in my instance was the fruit shaming lol. We're on such a "health" kick now that natural foods are called "junk" because of natural sugars etc.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:19 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Craving junk and having a sweet tooth does not mean one is overweight. That is directed toward a few posters that seem to think so.

OP, just turn down the wine. Why do you care what others think? I would also prefer soda over wine because I don't not like wine. I do drink a lot of beer but if it was between a beer I don't like and soda, I'd pick the soda. What's wrong with saying, "I don't like wine." That's exactly what I tell people.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:27 AM

406 posts, read 434,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
great attitude!!

the constant pounding of the health food Nazi's thru the years,,

you mention certain foods and its connected to X

regular soda???? (gasp) how dare you will all that sugar!!!
now we cant even drink diet soda,,,because that's been shamed and guilted..

we had a food shamer at our thanksgiving meal,,, the poor kid was almost in tears,,,couldn't have a slice of pumpkin pie,,
so, I sliced some pumpkin pie and gave it to the kid,, (wasn't even her kid) and no the kid wasn't obese or diabetic or allergic to pumpkin... she just thought she knew better
This is exactly what Im talking about. Couldnt have said this better myself. Food policing is getting ridiculous. Especially when research is done "junk food" is a social construct.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Yeah I understand. I get this but my point is about people who genuinely seem to despise sweet foods. Ive been ridiculed for eating fruit (healthy, no?) over say, bacon.

What about raw vegans who consume copious amounts of coconut sugar, for example. Still poison? Im genuinely asking.
You need to find a better group of more mature people to hang around who don't ridicule people. And you have to realize that what people think of you is their problem, not yours.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:56 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
I was just wondering if there was anyone out there like me. Im a male with a sweet tooth. Like tonight at dinner with some new acquaintences I begrudgingly sipped on the wine offered but much more enjoyed the soda that was being served for the children. The host looked at me like I was a space alien for not wanting the wine. With alcohol I tend to hate most beers unless I am incredibly thirsty then I will crave a light beer. I hate most wines except for dessert wines. I love wine coolers such as Seagrams and prefer hard liquor to beer.

I enjoy chocolates, ice cream, pastries, etc. Dont get me wrong I also love meats and bacon and savory foods like most guys, but somehow feel out of step somehow from the general population in preferring sweet tastes. When push comes to shove I love sodas but will drink diet or water or teas but cannot stand bitter drinks. Again it varies. As I said I will crave a light beer if Im super thirsty but will trade that in for a soda any day.

Yet I feel "scolded" for this in that somehow my taste is "girly", typical " American", or "not sophisticated". Does anyone else with a sweet tooth feel the same?
If this is the biggest problem in your life, you are doing just fine.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Do you really think you're uncommon, that most people don't prefer sweet to bitter?

Dude, open your eyes. 95% of people prefer sweet, we're just adults who recognise you can't eat only sweet food or we'll get diabetes.

As far as 'manly' non-bitter drinks, you could pretend you got breathalysed and were really given a stiff talking to, or saw some awful accident and you won't drink anything if you're going to be driving. If you're at a bar, experiment with mixed drinks, like bourbon and coke. With wine, go for unoaked whites, like sauvignon blanc, or soarkling wines.
Diabetes is not the result of eating sweet foods, it is a disease of the pancreas and you don't *get* it, your body develops diabetes because of the breakdown of the pancreas. Best to read up on disease before telling someone how they *get* it.

Why would you *pretend* anything? If you do not drink just say you do not drink or you do not like wine or whiskey or whatever is being offered. If you have to lie about what you will or won't drink you are spending time with people who are not your friends.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
All men like sweets. If a man genuinely does not like sweets (and isn't just saying so), he is the oddball.

How many men will turn down a slice of cherry pie ala mode? Not many. And I can tell you from experience, it isn't safe to leave a box of Sees chocolates out and open when there are any men around. The whole box will disappear down manly gullets.

No man that I've ever been around will turn down a piece of cake, a bowl of ice cream, or a cinnamon roll.

If you don't like wine, just say "no thank you". If you are too embarrassed to ask for soda, then drink water. You don't have to drink wine if you don't like it. If your friends ridicule you, I suggest that you trade them in for new friends.
Mr. CSD is an oddball then because he does not like sweets and he will turn down a slice of cherry pie ala mode any time it is offered. He does not eat chocolate, will only eat a few types of very plain cookies the rare times he eats cookies and will choose a banana, applesauce, popcorn or cottage cheese over banana bread, cake, ice cream or a cinnamon roll.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Xil

118 posts, read 274,267 times
Tell them you don't apologize for your tastes. You know what they say about opinions. Give them yours! Or just stick a fork in their eye & tell'm they're done!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
I'm male and I don't carry a sweet tooth anymore.

Sugar is super addicting and is pure toxic to your health. If you care at all about your well being its best to satisfy your sweet tooth with natural occurring sugars found in fruits. ANY sugar that is granular (meaning its been extracted) is pure poison to your body. If you like to read check out Pure White and Deadly by John Yudkin.

With that said I don't have a problem with drinking a beer every day when cannabis is inaccessible.

You are worried about sugar yet you will drink beer daily and smoke pot and think that is not toxic for your body?
That makes absoslutely zero sense and I hope you don't live near me, I would rather you be on a sugar rush driving on the same road then under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:36 AM

620 posts, read 638,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why would you *pretend* anything? If you do not drink just say you do not drink or you do not like wine or whiskey or whatever is being offered. If you have to lie about what you will or won't drink you are spending time with people who are not your friends.
Yeah, I don't get this. Why does anyone have to make excuses for their preferences? A simple "no thank you, I would prefer a Coke, if you have it" should suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink