Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

How many of you put your ketchup in the refrigerator? I notice some brands say "refrigerate after opening" and others do not. I personally HATE cold ketchup, but many in my family insist on putting it in the fridge. It sits on tables in restaurants all the time with no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 02:47 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
How many of you put your ketchup in the refrigerator? I notice some brands say "refrigerate after opening" and others do not. I personally HATE cold ketchup, but many in my family insist on putting it in the fridge. It sits on tables in restaurants all the time with no problem.
I do now I live in Texas but in the Uk it was kept in the cupboard

Old 02-04-2008, 02:52 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
From the heinz website FAQ's --

"Should ketchup be refrigerated?
Because it is a very acidic product, ketchup does not spoil easily. Once opened, in order to maintain the product's quality more effectively, we do suggest that ketchup (and any other processed food) be refrigerated after opening because refrigeration retards spoilage."

I've always refrigerated it, it seems gross to have an open bottle in the cupboard to me, but it looks like I'm wrong about that. Hard to break old habits though!

Re: restaurants leaving it out

Restaurants go through a bottle of ketchup a whole lot faster than the one in your pantry at home...

Old 02-04-2008, 03:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
From the heinz website FAQ's --

Re: restaurants leaving it out

Restaurants go through a bottle of ketchup a whole lot faster than the one in your pantry at home...
You're right about that, but putting cold ketchup on hot fries just ruins it for me.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:54 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Well if I were you, I'd buy the smaller size bottles and not refrigerate them!

I usually get the ketchup out for a while so it's not totally cold, and I suppose you could try microwaving it briefly in a small dish if you live with people that will just NOT stop refrigerating it.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:51 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
How many of you put your ketchup in the refrigerator?....
.....It sits on tables in restaurants all the time with no problem.
Most restaurants put them in the fridge at night & plus, like someone else said, they get used ALOT faster then at home!
I like roomtemp ketchup, too & I have a little squirter that I transfer my ketchup in so that it can sit out. I refill it about once every week! It's cute, too!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
oh, it HAS to be in the fridge! then instead of spreading it over the fries, you serve it on the side and dip the fries in it. Sometimes you add mustard and mix. In the words of Emeril - "oh yeah baby"!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:53 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
I keep mustard out for the same reason. So I feel your pain. But mustard is a lot more acidic than ketchup, since it's made with more vinegar. I read the label before deciding to leave the mustard out and it said something like, refrigerate for best flavor. But I go through a bottle quickly enough (less than a month) that that's not a problem.

I think the suggestion of microwaving a small amount in a bowl is a good one, if you don't mind having another dish to wash.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 AM

230 posts, read 875,425 times
I keep the ketchup in the fridge, and take it out long enough before the meal so it can come up to room temp. Same with other condiments like mustard, mayo, relish, etc. I have a compulsion about refrigerating everything that is open, even things I have been told don't need to be refrigerated, like honey and molasses, I don't know why. I know a couple of people who don't refridgerate butter! They say it won't go bad, but I just can't wrap my mind around the idea of leaving a dairy product on the counter for days on end.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Ketchup at room temp--it doesn't have to be refrigerated. All other condiments: mayo, mustard, DO need refrigeration! Margerine (it's not dairy-it's shortening!) can be left out, but not butter--it's a dairy product--keep cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink