Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 03:05 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcuK7wW8bU

In terms of eating/cooking.

New Year's Eve for us is a night to indulge in foods we like that aren't necessarily that good for us (so we don't eat them more than once or twice a year). Like wonderful cheese. Or sometimes even Doritos. I love Doritos .

New Year's Day is traditional New Year's Day in the south. Black eyed peas - collards - rice - corn bread. Which - even if made in the traditional unhealthy southern way (with pork to flavor the veggies) - are still pretty good for you. Tasty too. And they're supposed to insure things like good luck - health - and wealth in the New Year. Being a superstitious person - I wouldn't miss this traditional New Year's Day meal for anything . Note that for those of us who live in Florida and some other parts of the south - fresh black eyed peas (much much better than canned) and collards/greens are on BOGOs at Publix this week).

For you football fans - these things can be cooked up in (big) batches ahead of time - and simply reheated when you're glued to your TV.

Happy New Year to everyone. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 03:18 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
For NYE, I really would just like to get a big sub from my favorite Italian Deli down the street and munch on that all evening. I'll be watching Burns & Allen and Jack Benny all night long, so that seems like it would be good while snuggling on the couch laughing. The husband will be in bed by 8:30, so I can pretty much snack on that sub for all night if I want.

NYD, I'm not sure yet, but the husband has been making noises in his sleep lately that sound suspiciously like "I want stuffed pork chops" so maybe I'll surprise him with that. I'll roast some Brussels Sprouts to go with it for him, and some roasted carrots for me. And rolls and gravy and stuff like that.

So it'll all probably be totally not what I just said or am planning at all, as usual!

PS - Happy New Year, everyone!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2015, 03:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Nothing different than any other day, our dietary limitations and needs do not take a day off.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:05 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Nothing different than any other day, our dietary limitations and needs do not take a day off.
If it's not too personal - give us a clue - and perhaps we might come up with some ideas? Robyn

Old 12-27-2015, 04:23 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
NYE dinner is always at our favorite Chinese restaurant. New Year's Day finds me watching the Mummers Parade all day and into the evening, so DH will make black eyed peas, rice, pork chops, corn bread, and probably collard greens.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:43 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
NYE my mom is staying over and we will have snacks like pigs in a blanket, cheese and crackers maybe some crab cakes. NYD I am making prime rib, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:54 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Absolutely nothing on NYE. We are having overnight guests, and will go out for dinner on the 30th, so that will be our special night out.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:12 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
we usually ring in the new year with a big bonfire by the lake.. steaks on the grill.. all kinds of fireworks...
and depending on guests...we will jump in the hot tub ... and maybe have an adult beverage or two

with classic rock music

we use to get the Ouija board out and beckon the spirits ,,,but that became too weird...

we will also review our new years resolutions ...

Ive always like the smell of pipe smoke,,,think im going to try it....

eat less carbs and more red meat

buy pallets of toilet paper,,,,so if a depression hits... this will be very valuable for bartering

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 12-27-2015 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 09:31 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I'm not cooking on New Year's Eve. I'm going out for a few hours and will eat something then. On the 1st, I'll make a (very late) SAB = standard American breakfast.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:07 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
We host the neighborhood NYE party every year from 6-10pm. Finger foods, beer and wine, mostly brought by the guests. This year we're expecting between 50-60 people. It will be crowded!

NYD I'm cooking a turkey tomake up for the one we missed at Thanksgiving when we were in South Africa. If the weather is nice, it's getting spatchcoked and cooked on the bbq grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink