Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 02:23 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,569 times

Advertisements

sauerkraut, kim chi, oysters, capers, steamed clams and mussels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 08:38 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
I watched my Dad eat a raw oyster when I was a teenager. I thought he was gonna gag the thing right back up. I think if I hadn't seen that I may be more open to try one. IDK.

Here's a trick: First time you get oysters, order them steamed - on the half shell. Steaming makes them warm and also shrinks them slightly and makes them more firm. They aren't cold and slimy like the raw oysters. When you get them steamed you learn to enjoy the actual flavor.

Then once you realize you like the taste, you can graduate to raw oysters.

For several years I would only eat steamed oysters. One day I was eating steamed oysters and at the same table my dining partners got raw oysters, which caused me to sample 1 raw oyster. After trying the 1 raw oyster, from that day forward I always order raw oysters instead of steamed. I learned that day through side-by-side comparison that steaming takes away some of the flavor. The raw oyster has a better flavor, I learned. And since steaming shrinks it somewhat, you are getting a larger oyster when you order it raw.

I know it sounds gross, but if you chew the oyster instead of letting it slide down, then you will enjoy it more. The flavor is extremely good. It takes a couple oysters before you can let go of the 'ick' factor due to the sliminess. Then you are hooked because they taste soooo good.

Fried oysters I don't care for - the flavor is much different.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:52 AM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
a dip made of finely chopped green olives and mayonnaise, for dipping bread

Old 01-01-2016, 09:55 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,026 times
Mild (like, really, really mild) goat cheese.

Strong goat cheese, however, deserves to be shoved into a lead canister and buried beneath the floor of the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:10 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Here's a trick: First time you get oysters, order them steamed - on the half shell. Steaming makes them warm and also shrinks them slightly and makes them more firm. They aren't cold and slimy like the raw oysters. When you get them steamed you learn to enjoy the actual flavor.

Then once you realize you like the taste, you can graduate to raw oysters.

For several years I would only eat steamed oysters. One day I was eating steamed oysters and at the same table my dining partners got raw oysters, which caused me to sample 1 raw oyster. After trying the 1 raw oyster, from that day forward I always order raw oysters instead of steamed. I learned that day through side-by-side comparison that steaming takes away some of the flavor. The raw oyster has a better flavor, I learned. And since steaming shrinks it somewhat, you are getting a larger oyster when you order it raw.

I know it sounds gross, but if you chew the oyster instead of letting it slide down, then you will enjoy it more. The flavor is extremely good. It takes a couple oysters before you can let go of the 'ick' factor due to the sliminess. Then you are hooked because they taste soooo good.

Fried oysters I don't care for - the flavor is much different.
Actually, I only like oysters raw. I've had them cooked in several different ways, but never enjoyed them hot. Steamed, rockafeller, fried, oyster stew, in dressing, po boy, grilled. Nope - just want 'em icy cold with a little lemon and maybe some hot sauce and/or horseradish.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:06 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Grits, with butter, salt and pepper. I am not a picky eater, but I never expected to prefer grits over hash browns at breakfast.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:09 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Alligator nuggets, which I had for breakfast one day when we were in NOLA en vacances.

It does NOT taste like chicken.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:44 PM

251 posts, read 246,134 times
Green Enchilada Sauce, used to gross me out, but I gave it a try and major yum!!!

Sauerkraut too, I really like it now also.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:03 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a dip made of finely chopped green olives and mayonnaise, for dipping bread
My family puts this on hamburgers; always has, as long as I can remember. LOVE it.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:26 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,037 times
Escargot, never ever in my wildest dreams did I think these little baby's could be so delicious..
I tried just one on a cruise and ended up ordering 3 more appetizers for myself..
I could have eaten them like popcorn...

I can't wait to try them from a restaurant where they are not mass produced..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink