Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:33 PM

25 posts, read 33,720 times

Advertisements

Okra. I didn't like it when I was a kid because it wasn't cooked properly. Then I went to cooking school and learned how to make gumbo. The okra is added at the end and retains its firmness. It's wonderful with steamed white rice, not slimy at all. One of my favorite foods now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 06:05 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
What about an entire type of cuisine?

I never tried Indian food until I was in my early 20s. CRAZY when you consider that I grew up in New Jersey. But anyways, I gave it a shot at 20 and just came away feeling sick. Turns out I had the beginnings of a very slow-moving stomach virus but didn't know it at the time - took me a while to put two and two together on that, but I was queasy at even the thought of Indian food for a long time. The next time I tried Indian food, it was at a restaurant in a little town in New Hampshire - another dumb idea.

FINALLY, my best friend - who had grown up eating Indian food because her father was a doctor and had many Indian colleagues - put her foot down and demanded that I try it again. She knew all my hangups about food and what I enjoyed, and she basically told me what to order. Should have had her fix the problem years before that. I LOVE Indian food, it turns out.

Rogan josh, biryanis, chicken masala, samosas, naan, kormas, saags, pakora... good lord, the list goes on. And the fact that I cannot find a good spicy biryani after moving to Denver for the life of me is really saddening these days.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:07 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
sardines

Old 01-01-2016, 06:13 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,123 times
Ox tails. Ex and her mom used to make them. I think about 50% of it is the right gravy though.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Saurkraut. Looks and smells nasty, but mix in some bratwurst and its incredible.
don't always agree with you, but do on this one. Of course I ate it as a child, so I can't say it was an unexpected food. I guess the thing that sticks in my mind is probably escargot. I also never dreamed I would love bok choy. Like it, maybe, but we have gotten to the place we eat it several ways, cooked and raw. oh, also mussels and rattlesnake meat. As for someone saying Okra, I have tried and tried, spoiled brat loves it. I will admit, I do like it, not love it: pickled, which I do several jars in the summer. Oh, and last but not least: Mangos. I used to think I would hate them: they are now my favorite fruit I think.

Last edited by nmnita; 01-02-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
My cousins and I were little and my Aunt and my Mom dug up clams...and my cousin said they were p!z clams and that piece that hung out was their "man part"...My girl cousins and I were horrified watching him scarf them down dipped in butter...years later I tried them and they were delicious...I think he just told us that so we wouldn't eat any!!!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:52 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Unexpected to me. My mother always served mushy, canned peas. When I was in my 20s, I discovered fresh and frozen lovely sweet peas...and pea pods!

Old 01-02-2016, 01:33 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Sauerkraut, once I'd tried it with diced apple and caraway, and once I'd eaten something other than that nasty stuff that comes in a can.

And anchovies. You hear "ew" and "gross", but they're good! So are snails.

I hated grits when I was a kid, but as an adult had them prepared properly and they are fantastic.

And then there's beer, dry wines, and bourbon, none of which I liked when I first started drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I keep misreading the title of this thread as "Unexpected fools you fell in love with"..
That would be a longer list than the foods I fell in love with. LOL

Old 01-02-2016, 02:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
El Pollo Loco! When I was a kid we lived near one. My dad hates "Mexican" food and told us it was terrible. I finally went as an adult and found it to be delicious. Oddly enough my dad has now come around too, he was commenting how good the chicken is the last time I saw him.

One of my favorite fast food places. And it is easily the healthiest by a long shot. I wish it was closer to me.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:18 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Sautéed sweetbreads with a fine red wine reduction.

Actually it wasn't really unexpected, I come from a foodie background and will try just about anything once. If it's well prepared there is precious little that I won't eat.

When I was a kid I despised beets and brussel sprouts and now I am just mad for them!

I love escargot, what's not to love? It's usually just drowning in garlicky butter or a some nice white sauce flavored with Pernod or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink