Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:54 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

My head implodes when I am buying meat. Why can't they standardize what they call the cuts?!!!

I'll have a recipe and it will call it "X", I get to the store and there is no "X", get the butcher and says it's "Y."

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Here, we prefer to call it a "Kansas City strip."

It's not my steak of choice, though...usually do a ribeye.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:16 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Here, we prefer to call it a "Kansas City strip."

It's not my steak of choice, though...usually do a ribeye.

ARGH!!!!!!

At least the ribeye is consistent.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-15-2016, 08:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Depending on what source you look up, one oft-touted theory is that the strip steak was initially widely known as the Kansas City strip, but that it was a NY steakhouse brainchild that their upscale customer base wouldn't go for a cut that brought to mind a cowtown full of smelly stockyards (NYC being so fragrant and all), so the "NY strip" was born for menu appeal.

I haven't bothered to Snopes it.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:43 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I wouldn't doubt it. The Delmonico label originated at Delmonico's restaurant in NYC a long time ago. I think they were the first place in the US that you could actually 'order' a meal other than only having what was prepared for that day. The Delmonico cut became the 'house name' for various cuts of beef, ribeye, strip etc.. It was just made to order.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:14 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
now im going to confuse the hell out of everyone,,

in the 1980's in maine,,,this steak was the best selling steak out of a meatcase,
and we called it a bone in new York sirloin -not the new York strip (sirloin)

this steak(bone in top sirloin) comes from a primal called the top/butt 50 years ago this was called rump steak

now ...most places don't even sell it,,,,but they sell the boneless version called boneless sirloin steak (they dropped the "new York" from this description 15 yrs ago

Attachment 164150

Attachment 164151

the bone in is the top pic...
the boneless is the bottom pic

these will go on sale for 3.99lb-5.99lb depending on the grade

this was a very popular steak because it was fairly cheap and fairly tender for being a leaner steak
In Montana we would call that a breakfast steak. It would be served med rare with hash browns and sunny side up eggs.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:24 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My head implodes when I am buying meat. Why can't they standardize what they call the cuts?!!!

Buying meat is a lot like the old "Three card monty". There are a lot of supermarkets that love nothing more to sell you less tender and less expensive cuts of meat and charge you a lot more.

For example, London broil is a dish that is prepared using flank steak with is pretty expensive (usually $6/ lb). Go to the local supermarket and they have bottom round steak labelled as London Broil at $3.99. What is insulting is that the store also has bottom round roast that same week for $2.49/ lb on special.

For the most part, I have quit playing the game. I generally go to ethnic markets (mostly Mexican) and ask them to cut the meat the way that I want it cut. I got to deal with my poor Spanish and their poor English but I generally get what I need as several of the customers are bilingual. And what I also appreciate about the ethnic markets is that they take the "country of origin" labeling seriously and are very honest about the source of their meats. This beats the Kroger labeling of "produced in the US, Mexico, Canada or Brazil" that I saw recently.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:11 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I'll have a recipe and it will call it "X", I get to the store and there is no "X", get the butcher and says it's "Y."

That's deli meat mentality. You cannot standardize cuts because there are too many variations. The best thing is to go to a real butcher and look at the big slab of flesh and tell them which section that you want and then take home and trim it yourself. Any trained cook or chef prefers to trim their own meat rather than get these weird cuts. I cringe whenever I find all these tendons and criss crossed and meats that are bruised because the workers mishandle the meats.

Of course you can pay for USDA choice which is having a trained butcher trim and cut the meat properly but it's still requires picking one that's got good marbling without a cracked bone in the middle.

Same goes for fish and chicken

Old 01-15-2016, 02:32 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I prefer to cut my own. As soon as the hog and deer disappear that are already in there I'll go get me a half to cut up.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:01 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Of course you can pay for USDA choice which is having a trained butcher trim and cut the meat properly
That isn't what USDA choice means.

The USDA gradings are a measure of intramuscular fat in the beef -- nothing more. Supermarkets work this angle and deceive their customers all the time. They use terms like "Rancher's Prime" or "Cowboy's Choice" or "Choice cut." None of which mean anything about the quality of the meat.

The order of meat is this: Prime -> Choice -> Select -> Standard -> Dog Food

(Note, "Dog Food" is not an actual grade. But the others are.) Most of the beef sold in supermarkets is Select. Sometimes you can find choice. Prime represents less than 1% of the beef sold in this country. So unless you trust your vendor, buyer beware.

Furthermore, "Angus" just means a breed of cow. So that doesn't really mean anything about the quality of the steak on your plate. It's just more marketing from the people who brought us "Rancher's Prime."

And then you have the Japanese beef grading system, which is completely different. Anyone about to spend $100/pound (or more) on Japanese beef would do well to learn their grading system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink