Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:19 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times

Advertisements

Try nextdoor dot com.

It's a great site that takes your address (perfectly safe) and assigns you to a neighborhood. Then the system combines other nearby neighborhoods where you can share ideas about everything - restaurants, DRs and other professionals and businesses. People sell things, buy things, find lost pets, reports of crime - recently a lady reported her daughter being stopped by a strange guy when she got off the school bus. With the information she provided others saw the car and this guy was caught.

If there's a good Chinese place - this is a good way to find out about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 11:00 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
We watched "The Search for General Tso" last night on Netflix, per a suggestion on this thread. It was enjoyable and I thought it went along very well with people have been saying on this thread. We also ordered Chinese take-out to go along with the movie, the first Chinese take-out we've had in the 18 months we've been in CO. We didn't enjoy that nearly as much. We ordered two completely different dishes and they ended up tasting the same, and both were too saucy. We should have ordered General Tso's chicken, which I don't even like, but the film made me crave it.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I disagree. Sure, if you are looking at Chinese buffets that charge $8 per person, sure, they have declined in an effort to meet a very low price point.

However, there is a far broader variety of Chinese food available in MOST metropolitan areas as more Asians have immigrated to the United States in the past forty years. If you stick to the forums like City-data, you are less likely to find out about the more authentic Chinese restaurants. Instead, look for local forums that focus on good local restaurants. In addition to the coastal cities, there are good food message boards in the Chicago and Phoenix area.
^^^^^^What he said

Old 01-17-2016, 09:32 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
^^^

If you want to see some of the better Chinese places in Chicago, review these threads. There are a lot of good pictures. I had another in mind that I would link to but that local independent has had health department issues recently.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16931
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36869
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32686
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic...ree+happiness+

By the way, these places are all very reasonable, not the $30-50 a plate varieties.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:26 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
We watched "The Search for General Tso" last night on Netflix, per a suggestion on this thread. It was enjoyable and I thought it went along very well with people have been saying on this thread. We also ordered Chinese take-out to go along with the movie, the first Chinese take-out we've had in the 18 months we've been in CO. We didn't enjoy that nearly as much. We ordered two completely different dishes and they ended up tasting the same, and both were too saucy. We should have ordered General Tso's chicken, which I don't even like, but the film made me crave it.
Haha. I never eat it but the movie did make me crave it too. Some of the places looked like they were elevating it to the next level

Old 01-19-2016, 01:27 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
There are three places in my metro area that all have AMAZING Chinese food and they are my "go to" places if I'm in their sections of town. When we first moved here we tried several and were very disappointed, but when we finally found a good one we thought "Eureka!" Then someone told us about another place on the other side of town and it was even better. When at home, that's now our main place.

Then at my job someone recommended a place near the building and it was heavenly. So when I'm uptown for an event, that's the only place I go for dinner.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Are you telling me Pepperidge Farms Pirouettes are not authentic French pastries?

Peanut sauce is a very popular ingredient in SE Asian cooking. Granted, peanuts are new world native plants, but so are tomatoes, and that doesn't stop the Italians from making tomato sauce.

The only peanuts I saw in Thailand were crushed on the top of Pad Thai. But yes I have seen satay with peanut sauce in Thai restaurants in the US.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The only peanuts I saw in Thailand were crushed on the top of Pad Thai. But yes I have seen satay with peanut sauce in Thai restaurants in the US.
Yep, for some reason peanut sauce has become associated with Thai cooking, to the point that one sees the occasional menu with a "Thai" offering that is labeled Thai dish just because they threw some bottled peanut sauce on it.

Thai salad? Lettuce with peanut sauce!
Thai chicken wings? Wings with peanut sauce!
Thai stir fry? Sauteed meat and veggies with peanut sauce!

Thai means fish sauce, curries, kafir lime leaves, lemon grass, chili peppers, galanga, coconut milk, basil, tamarind paste, etc. not a bottle of freakin peanut sauce.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:33 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
^Hahaha, there's a takeout chain around here that has a "Thai salad"...comes with a peanut dressing. Otherwise it's just a salad

Old 01-20-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yep, for some reason peanut sauce has become associated with Thai cooking, to the point that one sees the occasional menu with a "Thai" offering that is labeled Thai dish just because they threw some bottled peanut sauce on it.

Thai salad? Lettuce with peanut sauce!
Thai chicken wings? Wings with peanut sauce!
Thai stir fry? Sauteed meat and veggies with peanut sauce!

Thai means fish sauce, curries, kafir lime leaves, lemon grass, chili peppers, galanga, coconut milk, basil, tamarind paste, etc. not a bottle of freakin peanut sauce.
Yes, although Thai food does vary greatly from region to region. Northern tends to be very sweet, Issan very sour and spicy, southern curries and Indian influenced etc

And Thai chicken wings should be more on the line of Pok Pok wings with fish sauce, sugar, garlic etc not peanut sauce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink