U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:11 PM

8,744 posts, read 5,313,638 times

Advertisements

I love Siggi's. You have to be careful, though, because it is easy to find the 0% and 2%, but only a few stores seem to carry full-fat (4%). I can get it at Sprouts and Whole Foods.

Otherwise, my failsafe is Mountain High Plain.

I grew up eating sweetened, flavored yogurt, but my palate has changed. Now I prefer plain unsweetened yogurt over fresh fruit, or with a little raw honey or pure maple syrup, to any preflavored variety. I like it totally unsweetened, too.

I think there are two reasons for the prevalence of nonfat, sugary yogurts (and other foods). One is of course that people have been told that "fat is bad," and supposedly Americans have a huge sweet tooth and want everything sweetened.

But the other side of the coin is that it is financially advantageous for dairies to make products out of nonfat milk. If they sell whole milk or make products from whole milk, that uses up all the milk. But if they separate it into nonfat milk and cream, they sell the nonfat milk for just as much as the whole milk, AND make the cream into ice cream, whipping cream, and butter, all of which are very profitable.

Sugar is very cheap. Use it as a "filler" and you need less of the expensive ingredients like milk/cream in yogurt, peanuts in peanut butter, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:56 PM

63,029 posts, read 59,824,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I buy full-fat Greek yogurt at Trader Joe's, or I buy Fage. I can't eat regular yogurt anymore; gotta be Greek.
Same here. Only like Greek full-fat, plain. Fage or Trader Joe's here too.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:09 PM

84,434 posts, read 77,596,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I love Siggi's. You have to be careful, though, because it is easy to find the 0% and 2%, but only a few stores seem to carry full-fat (4%). I can get it at Sprouts and Whole Foods.
I tried Siggi's recently, and wasn't impressed, but I'll try again, and will be careful to look for the full-fat variety. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:15 AM

4,937 posts, read 5,953,112 times
I found Noosa and the Lemon flavored is pretty good.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 AM

24,633 posts, read 32,256,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I haven't seen Tillamoo yogurt in the stores. Is it mainly a product marketed in Oregon? I hear their ice creamery by their cheese factory is yummy!
I'm buying the Tillamook yogurt in Oregon. I hear from all over the country that people love their ice cream and cheese, so I assumed that the yogurt went all over, too. Maybe it doesn't.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:29 PM

26,157 posts, read 16,378,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains
I found Noosa and the Lemon flavored is pretty good.
Good im glad ya found some

Old 02-10-2017, 11:39 PM

4,937 posts, read 5,953,112 times
I found another good one today: Wallaby organic Greek whole milk yogurt, blended berries.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:00 AM

63,029 posts, read 59,824,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
I really love Noosa yoghurt. (They spell it with the "h".) It's delicious, and they have some unusual flavors along with more common ones.
I just saw and bought this for the first time this week! Key lime, and it was delicious.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:23 AM

27,806 posts, read 31,386,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
YES!! Best whole fat yogurt (plain): Straus Family Farms! They also make a flavored yogurt, but their yogs don't come in those 1-serving sizes, only in the large family size. Their one flavor (and it's a good one!) is pomegranate-blueberry.

You can find Straus Family Farms yogurt at Whole Foods, your local Food Co-op, and similar outlets.
I'll vote for Strauss too, but I don't know how far they distribute. They make my fave Greek and regular yogurts.

I also love the smari and siggis Icelandic style whole milk yogurts. They make lots of fat free ones, you have to look for the whole milk ones too.

And the Fage Total is great too.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:36 AM

9,154 posts, read 9,162,120 times
I buy Green Valley Organics. I don't know how it compares to any other plain yogurt, because I haven't eaten many of them. But it's lactose-free, which is good for me. I eat it with berries (today, raspberries) and walnuts usually.

https://greenvalleylactosefree.com/p...e-plain-yogurt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or