Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 12:47 PM

6,220 posts, read 3,587,875 times

Advertisements

OP you need to realize that milk naturally contains lactose, or milk sugars, therefore you will not find yogurt with 0 grams of sugar on the label. You need to read the ingredients for added sugar. I like White Mountain Foods Bulgarian Yogurt and labneh, a slightly sour, very thick Middle Eastern yogurt. The only ingredients in White Mountain yogurt are milk and live active cultures.

Read more about milk sugars here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 12:55 PM

9,330 posts, read 14,246,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
It's not at all hard to find plain yogurt, if that's what you're looking for.
No, I am looking for yogurt that has a sour taste.

I understand that cow milk has lactose which is a natural sugar, apparently some 4-5 grams per serving, which is already too sweet for me in terms of what I expect in yogurt.

I am reading now about sour milk. It appears that one modern method is to add lemon or vinegar. I could try HedgeHog_Mom's method and add lemon.

I am also reading about unpasteurized "clabbered" milk, a method used in preindustrial times, and quite possibly still in small villages in certain countries.

Perhaps that explains better my experience and what I am looking for.

Is it possible to buy unpasteurized milk?

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:03 PM

41,882 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Plain yogurt, by definition, has nothing added to it: no flavoring, no fruit, no sugar, no sugar substitutes. That's why it's called plain yogurt. Because it's plain.

You'll never find yogurt with no sugar, because yogurt is made from milk and milk inherently contains sugar.

Perhaps you should do a little reading up on the subject before complaining.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:03 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
OP you need to realize that milk naturally contains lactose, or milk sugars, therefore you will not find yogurt with 0 grams of sugar on the label. You need to read the ingredients for added sugar. I like White Mountain Foods Bulgarian Yogurt and labneh, a slightly sour, very thick Middle Eastern yogurt. The only ingredients in White Mountain yogurt are milk and live active cultures.

Read more about milk sugars here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose
Yes, exactly. There is no added sugar in plain yogurts, just the naturally occurring milk sugar.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:41 PM

9,330 posts, read 14,246,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Plain yogurt, by definition, has nothing added to it: no flavoring, no fruit, no sugar, no sugar substitutes. That's why it's called plain yogurt. Because it's plain.

You'll never find yogurt with no sugar, because yogurt is made from milk and milk inherently contains sugar.

Perhaps you should do a little reading up on the subject before complaining.
Thanks for suggestion, indeed most of you have been very helpful in this research.

I learned (or re-learned) that I am lactose intolerant and perhaps yogurts that I have liked in the past and far away with a sour taste in some way neutralized the effect and taste of sugar inherently in milk, such as unpasteurized clabbered milk and/or with acids added or induced.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,931,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

It depends. Unpasteurized (generally called raw milk) varies according to which state you're in. Here in Texas, last time I checked, you could buy raw milk directly from the dairy--usually a small family run type of dairy. It's not legally sold in grocery stores due to potential health issues. Some people do prefer it though. It may be what you're accustomed to--especially if you've actually met " the yogurt cow".

Old 02-06-2016, 02:05 PM

770 posts, read 830,986 times
Quote:
Thank you both for your answers.

I see that Siggi's plain yogurt has 4 grams of sugar, so about the same as Fage.

I'll try to make my own, as Hedgehog Mom suggests.

In Greece, there is a store-bought brand called Dodoni, that's the taste I am looking for, not available in the US but even if it were produced here, they would probably add sweetners of some kind, natural or not, in accordance with national taste preferences (or perhaps social training?).

I remember once in a small village some people coming around selling fresh yogurt, and accompanying them was the actual cow from which they had made it.

I eat siggi's plain 4% yogurt daily and mix in fresh berries. They don't add any sugar the sugar you see on the label is naturally occurring you need to read the ingredient list.

siggi

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size1 container (125g)
Calories100
Calories from fat45
* % Daily Value
Total Fat5g 8%
Saturated Fat3g 15%
Trans Fat0g
Cholestrol25mg 8%
Sodium45mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate4g 1%
Dietary Fiber0g 0%
Sugars3g
Protein11g 22%
Vitamin A0% Vitamin C0%
Calcium16% Iron0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Ingredients
Pasteurized Whole Milk, Pasteurized Cream, Live Active Cultures

Live Cultures
B. lactis, L. acidophilus, L. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, L. delbrueckii subsp. lactis, S. thermophilus

Old 02-06-2016, 02:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
Quote:

I understand that cow milk has lactose which is a natural sugar, apparently some 4-5 grams per serving, which is already too sweet for me in terms of what I expect in yogurt.

I am reading now about sour milk. It appears that one modern method is to add lemon or vinegar. I could try HedgeHog_Mom's method and add lemon.

I am also reading about unpasteurized "clabbered" milk, a method used in preindustrial times, and quite possibly still in small villages in certain countries.

The longer you let the yogurt culture (the stage where it's kept warm, about 100 degrees, which I do by putting it in the oven with the oven light on), the more sour it will get.

I'm not sure how adding lemon or vinegar to the mix when you're making yogurt would work, it might kill off the active cultures in the yogurt and keep it from thickening.

You can add vinegar to milk and end up with sour milk to use in baking, but it's chunky and gross. I use it in pancakes but I wouldn't drink it that way.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:36 PM

6,220 posts, read 3,587,875 times
Quote:

I think labneh is pretty tangy, but sounds like you might like buttermilk. In America people pretty much only use it for baking, but in India I hear it's popular to drink. I don't know if you can make yogurt with it though.

State laws vary as to being able to buy raw milk. It's legal in CA grocery stores but I don't know about other areas.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,931,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
In America people pretty much only use it for baking, but in India I hear it's popular to drink.
Lol! We drink it in Texas and the South--and we're not in India!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink