Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 01:33 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times

Advertisements

And I would cook them at a lower temperature for a longer period of time. Such ovens are also notoriously uneven. And you don't want hot-spots, or burnt skin with raw meat by the bone.

I'd go 350f for 45 minutes (assuming room temp wings to start) and simply grab the biggest wing after 45 minutes and open it up to see how the interior is doing. If you can cover them with foil for most of the process -- removing it to crisp up the skin -- that would also be helpful.

But fret not. Some of my favorite meals have been improvs in foreign hotel kitchenettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 01:40 PM

503 posts, read 771,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And I would cook them at a lower temperature for a longer period of time. Such ovens are also notoriously uneven. And you don't want hot-spots, or burnt skin with raw meat by the bone.

I'd go 350f for 45 minutes (assuming room temp wings to start) and simply grab the biggest wing after 45 minutes and open it up to see how the interior is doing. If you can cover them with foil for most of the process -- removing it to crisp up the skin -- that would also be helpful.

But fret not. Some of my favorite meals have been improvs in foreign hotel kitchenettes.
Will try this. I am a mediocre cook and it has been a challenge providing edible and somewhat healthy meals for my family. Only 2 weeks to go...

Most people eating the wings will have consumed a beer or two, so if they taste terrible it won't be the end of the world. I just don't want to poison anyone....

I do know that if I ever have to stay in a hotel for an extended period I will bring my crock pot.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:47 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
There's always someone worse -- I once met someone who really could not understand why 1 minute at 3,000f wasn't the same as 10 minutes at 300f.

All you're really trying to do is get the interior up past 165f.

1) Thaw them. Brine them if you can.

2) Season them before they go in the oven. Line the pan if you can with parchment, foil. If you can't, oil the pan. If you can't even do that, smear some chicken fat around the pan.

3) Season the wings. Bake them.

4) Check them occasionally and rotate the tray, just in case the oven is uneven. Every 20 minutes or so. (But don't leave the door open a second longer than you have to.)

5) When you think they're done, remove the largest wing piece and cut it open. Look at the meat around the bone -- red? pink? not firm? Put it back and cook another 20 minutes.

Remove, let stand for five minutes, and serve with sauce.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:15 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Why would anyone put chicken wings in salt water? Never heard of such a thing. Sounds pretty unhealthy...all that salt.

I cook wings with no salt at all.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Why would anyone put chicken wings in salt water? Never heard of such a thing. Sounds pretty unhealthy...all that salt.

I cook wings with no salt at all.
It's called "brining". I'm on my phone and can't give ypu links to check out - but do a wrb search on it. It's a great method for poultry.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:42 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,036 times
It's going to take longer to cook thoroughly when cooked from a frozen state but doable.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:28 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
It's going to take longer to cook thoroughly when cooked from a frozen state but doable.

Doable if you are going to accept a mediocre product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink