Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 814 times

Advertisements

Wal Mart expensive? You must never have shopped at Giant Eagle. They are usually 25cents to a dollar more on identical food items. And all they talk about is better quality to justify the higher price.
How do you justify a dollar more for the same exact can of oatmeal? As it is, my Wal Mart stored a couple of weeks ago. I now have three Giant Eagle stores within ten miles of each other and no competition from anyone else. I'm waiting for them to start raising prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 09:52 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How much time do you think it takes? I can say it doesn't take me over 1/2 hr. a week and think of the time save running from store to store or the amount of $$s you can actually save? As I have said, I am not a big Walmart shopper for a couple of reasons, but price comparing is a great way for a family to save money. Here is an example: This week, Aldi's had red potatoes for .20 lb. Roma Tomatoes for .79 a lb. and green peppers, a package for $1.49. Our local grocery store had broccoli for .89 lb. and white onions, 3 lbs. for a 1.49. Now with those prices why wouldn't anyone price match? Our granddaughter, is the mother of 3 little girls, works long hours as a nurse practitioner and still does price comparing.

For those who don't see the value or do not have a grocery budget, I guess price matching might seem like a waste of time, for many it is the way we eat good, healthy and still stay within a budget. I am sure there are some who can afford a good steak or good fresh seafood once in awhile by saving in other ways.
Obviously this is a priority to you and your granddaughter, and hey, good for you!!! I just don't have the desire, honestly. Usually I won't buy something I don't need if it's ridiculously overpriced. But if I want a steak, and it's a few bucks more than I'd like to spend, I go ahead and buy it

Old 02-22-2016, 12:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Obviously this is a priority to you and your granddaughter, and hey, good for you!!! I just don't have the desire, honestly. Usually I won't buy something I don't need if it's ridiculously overpriced. But if I want a steak, and it's a few bucks more than I'd like to spend, I go ahead and buy it
oh of course it is priority. As I have said; there are those who can afford to spend what they want or do not have a grocery budget. That is fine. I am simply saying, for the short time it takes to compare shop, it is worth it for many of us. It is like clipping coupons, some of us do and save several $S others don't bother. There is no right or wrong way. BTW, I gave my granddaughter as an example because I wanted to show even people with busy lives do compare shop. I actually know very few people who do not pay attention to where they get the biggest bang for their buck when buying groceries.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:15 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
[quote=skyegirl;43101834]Obviously this is a priority to you and your granddaughter, and hey, good for you!!! I just don't have the desire, honestly. Usually I won't buy something I don't need if it's ridiculously overpriced. But if I want a steak, and it's a few bucks more than I'd like to spend, I go ahead and buy it[/QUOTE]

bless you!! this warms an old butcher's soul

Old 02-23-2016, 06:02 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,774,439 times
I'll chime in about 1" 1/2 steaks, I buy them very rarely, that being said, when I want a great steak I head straight to one of the local butcher shops and indulge.
They're a good 45 minute drive but worth it. Our local butchers also carry huge baking potatoes, wood charcoal, fresh salad fixing, pickles, buns condiments, even homade tortillas and fresh made beans, salsa.etc.
A local Mexican lady handles the Mexican side. Different local farmers handle the produce. They even sell yard eggs..

Life is good in Texas.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I'll chime in about 1" 1/2 steaks, I buy them very rarely, that being said, when I want a great steak I head straight to one of the local butcher shops and indulge.
They're a good 45 minute drive but worth it. Our local butchers also carry huge baking potatoes, wood charcoal, fresh salad fixing, pickles, buns condiments, even homade tortillas and fresh made beans, salsa.etc.
A local Mexican lady handles the Mexican side. Different local farmers handle the produce. They even sell yard eggs..

Life is good in Texas.
When we want a really good, thick steak we either do like you or we buy from Sam's and have them cut it for us. We do the same when we want a really fresh piece of fish. Our fresh fish market flies fish in every 2 days. Of course it is rare we do either and if I didn't watch my grocery budget we wouldn't have the money to splurge at all.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:18 PM

Got our grocery ads today: finally Asparagus is affordable: one store 1.49 and the other $1.95. It looks like we can get away from cauliflower and snow peas for awhile. Spoiled brat was beginning to think I had hidden stock in some cauliflower farm or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink