Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:45 AM

24,606 posts, read 10,921,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand the point of price matching, at least on cheap items. If the store you go to agrees to price match, you're not saving any money, you're only getting the same price you would have gotten at the cheaper store, and most of the time, you have to present proof that the price of the item is actually cheaper at the other store, with a grocery store ad or something. So why go to the trouble of getting the ad at the old store, comparing the prices at the two stores, then showing the cheaper price at the other store? That's a lot of trouble to go to for a $0.50 (or whatever) savings. You might as well just shop at the original store that had the cheap price.
I disagree with you.
Last week;
8oz mushrooms .69/1.99
Red bell pepper .50/1.49
USA Choice Rump Roast 3.99/6.49
Black Label Bacon 2.99/4.99
Knudsen juice 2for1/4.99

I download three stores on Wednesday into IBooks, make my shopping list and my price match list while I am on CD. Considering that it would take me over an hour to drive around it works for me. Plus local produce tends to be fresher and nicer then Aldi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:01 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,630,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
in regards to price matching, I think the most expensive items should be priced match, but you dont really need to do that..I scan all of my walmart receipts using the walmart app savings catcher, which scans for prices at all of their local competitors.

If you purchase something at wallys(as I call it) and use the app, it will scan your receipt and give you the difference of the price if it is lower....sometimes, the difference is only .02 cents, but it adds up over time...last year, I got $48.33 back in savings and used that to buy my son a 12 month xbox live card when his subscription expired...
I use Savings Catcher as well, but it doesn't always catch every sale price. However, Savings Catcher has on occasion revealed a lower price that I wasn't aware of or that wasn't advertised but which Savings Catcher knew was still still in effect from a previous ad. Because of this, I will always do my own price comparisons and matching at the store, but I do still enter/scan all my receipts to Savings Catcher.

And yes, it does add up over time. Because I don't rely solely on Savings Catcher my balance has never been as high as yours, but last year I did once reach ten dollars before I cashed in my balance on an online order. Previous to that I usually just presented the printed barcode at the register with smaller balances ranging from less than a dollar to a few dollars. Overall I think I've probably gotten back around 30 dollars over time through Savings Catcher.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:58 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
A lot of items I buy there have gone up 10 to 20% in recent months. They used to be the cheapest but some low cost markets like Sav A Lot have better prices on many things.
It's "Market fluctuation" watch the price of canned food, and other items, keep a list and you'll see how the price goes up some months and down the next.

Winco is better about it as is Fred Meyer (Kroger) they change the prices nearly weekly....

Old 02-16-2016, 12:04 PM

21,895 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Doesn't everything always go up everywhere? I can't go to the grocery or gas pump without paying 50 cents more, yet I haven't had a raise in years.

I WOULD be interested in knowing if WalMart or Save-a-Lot have the cheaper prices, though. Has anyone ever done a comprehensive survey of this?

Old 02-16-2016, 01:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Grocery prices are going up at all grocery stores, because the suppliers to the stores have been raising their prices. One reason that produce prices in particularly have gone up, is the drought that is going on in California which is the big supplier of fresh produce for the country. It has forced growers to quit growing some crops and putting in Almond orchards, etc. This has forced produce prices up all over the country. This results in things like canned goods, prices being raised also.

Walmart has gone into on line sales in a big way. Walmart is selling things on line cheaper than they sell them in the store. We have found that we lowered our grocery bill about 20%, by buying our non perishable groceries on line with free shipping and delivered to our door. Don't have to drive an hour each way, to find a large grocery store this way which is another big savings, and we don't have to spend a lot of time shopping in the store. Ordered on Tuesday last week, and got everything for the month on Friday.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,554 times
Angry Walmart is no longer Low

I recently told my husband the same thing. The turkey bacon was once 2.38 and now it is 2.98. I am always in Walmart, but have started shopping at other places. Target may be high on some things, well most but the quality is better. Walmart's produce is terrible and after a while having to take things back is a waste of gas. The clothing is not that great either. My kids when they were small dressed really cute; boys. Now, even the clothes are not good and the women's section is an old woman's closet. I rather shop elsewhere.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:50 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
lets keep upping the minimum wage ... and obamacare .... taxes are always going up..

we are lucky grocery prices are as low as they are

buying groceries is sooo subjective,,,whether you are buying sales/off sale...
and don't be buying your meats at walmart

I'd like to see the salaries, raises, and benefits the WalMart execs get while they're trying to place the blame for price increases on fuel & labor costs.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that even if we brought back slavery they wouldn't reduce prices to account for reduced labor costs.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:19 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
......... if WalMart or Save-a-Lot have the cheaper prices, though. Has anyone ever done a comprehensive survey of this?
No store is cheaper on every item. If you are serious about saving money, you have to know what stores tend to keep prices lower on what items.

In my area Costco has the best price on 5 pound blocks of Tillamook cheese, by at least a dollar.

Grocery Outlet is a dollar and a half cheaper for the bread my family likes and the best price on corn tortillas.

Cash and Carry always has the cheapest price on good quality meat and apples.

Walmart has the best price on Tapatio hot sauce and bananas.

Costco and Cash and Carry circle around each other with produce prices. Sometimes one is cheaper, sometimes the other for the same produce.

You have to know what you buy and how much it costs in order to find the cheapest place for you to shop. What is cheapest for you might not be cheapest for another family that eats different foods than you do.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Yes! You really have to pick and choose. Walmart is not a friend to those who are looking for good prices - they lure you in and you make a habit of shopping there and then you find that place like Aldi's have the REALLY low prices! I just bought a gallon of whole milk from Aldi's for $1.40 - I'm looking at the Walmart ad and seeing nothing less than$3.80 a gallon! And that's NOT organic.

So you always have to shop around for the sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink