Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 10:56 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,014,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We're screwed. There's only one meal left in the fridge and nothing in the freezer but some tomatoes from last years garden and some Italian ice.

We don't eat from cans or boxes except for some brown rice and an occasional can of beans. John likes his cereal but I rarely touch it.
Whew! I'm not the only one ... I won't make it past 4pm when everyone gets home from school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 12:09 PM

2,030 posts, read 4,524,389 times
Our freezer is small so only a week or two of meat and another week of frozen entrees. But if we become vegetarians, we probably have enough canned vegetables, rices, pastas, crackers, soups, etc. to keep going for another month (possibly more). If we had to, we could live off of condiments for another week (pickles, ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish, salad dressing, steak sauce, tarter sauce, salsa, chili sauce, etc. etc.).

This estimate is based on a two-person household. I'm sure it could be stretched out further if we cut down portions.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:35 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

(Crab and matzoh? Knowing a little bit about Jewish kosher laws - isn't that crab a no-no?)
Show me any religious person of any faith who follows all "the rules" and I have a bridge to sell you...

Old 08-23-2016, 02:42 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,693,809 times
How many of you have a generator to keep your fridge & freezer running if the power goes out and enough gas on hand to keep the generator working if gas stations close down for lack of power ?

Having been through Hurricane Irene and Superstorm Sandy we've got enough food on hand for a few weeks and can keep our generator going for several days before we need to find gas for it. Thinking of putting in daisy chained propane tanks so we don't have to worry about gas.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:47 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,800,894 times
Until i went to the food pantry today- we were down to the last random things that really dont make up much. Now we can go about 1week+. 2 adults, 3 children

Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 PM

20,815 posts, read 28,136,000 times
Probably 1 weeks worth of fresh food, 2 weeks worth frozen, a few days dried goods. It's 2 of us and on LI where I am from Grocery stores, BJ's, Costco are all very close. I have noticed from reading here that many have to drive at least 1 hour to get groceries hence the reason for stocking up plus many might have a large family.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:31 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,486,158 times
If I had to eat canned vegetables and fruits (yuck!) we could go 25-30 days.

I have a small deep freeze 3/4 full of meat and a well stocked pantry of dry goods.

The worst would be no cream in my coffee and I'd probably run out of cheese

Old 08-23-2016, 03:37 PM

772 posts, read 1,051,913 times
I have enough food ingredients for at least 3 months.. Dry stuff like 50lb box of rice, 20lbs of beans, 5 boxes of 8/box cans of tomatoes, 3 gallons of olive oil, at least 10 packets of all sorts of pasta/spaghetti. Frozen stuff like a few bags of oven fries, boxes of frozen pizza, bags of frozen vegetables, a lot of beef, a lot of chicken drumstick and thighs (no one eats white meat chicken in my house), Fish from costco, tubs of ice cream :-). And at least 2 weeks worth of ready to eat groceries in the fridge like milk, bread etc. I dont seem to know how not to buy stuff way in advance. DH jokes that i buy groceries like I'm prepping for a zombie apocalypse:-)

Old 08-23-2016, 04:13 PM

30,462 posts, read 17,888,365 times
Living on an island in the middle of the Pacific, I really should stock up . . . right now, I have less than a week's worth of food stored (I could stretch for longer on what I have, but it would be somewhat uncomfortable).

Old 08-23-2016, 04:15 PM

30,462 posts, read 17,888,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
I have enough food ingredients for at least 3 months.. Dry stuff like 50lb box of rice, 20lbs of beans, 5 boxes of 8/box cans of tomatoes, 3 gallons of olive oil, at least 10 packets of all sorts of pasta/spaghetti. Frozen stuff like a few bags of oven fries, boxes of frozen pizza, bags of frozen vegetables, a lot of beef, a lot of chicken drumstick and thighs (no one eats white meat chicken in my house), Fish from costco, tubs of ice cream :-). And at least 2 weeks worth of ready to eat groceries in the fridge like milk, bread etc. I dont seem to know how not to buy stuff way in advance. DH jokes that i buy groceries like I'm prepping for a zombie apocalypse:-)
I like you already By the way, how is the fish from Costco where you are? Generally fresh/high quality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink