Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Do you commercially produce canned/jarred goods at home?
Oh heck no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 05:28 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Everything pretty much. I grow some tomatoes but that's about it. 99.95% reliant on commercial food.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:52 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Most of us realize he is referring to processed.
One cannot be too sure, but I took that way as well.

Apart from a few subsistence farmers who might be left in pockets of pre-industrial economies, even farmers buy food with money (commercial).

The question, then, to what extent is the food that one usually consumes industrially processed?

Even if I make bread from scratch with my own yeast cultivated at home, I am still commercially buying with money wheat grains, harvesting, milling, packaging and distribution (some people mill at home, but they still buy harvesting and the rest). Even the water is distributed by a local county authority to whom I pay money, I don't draw it from a well that I dug from myself or from a local river.

Still, the end product is less industrially processed than store-bought bread.

Is it worth it?

I don't know for sure, but right now it's a lot of fun.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:31 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
I rely heavily on frozen, canned, packaged and bottled this and that. Short of starting my own subsistence farm and eating only what I raise myself, I don't see a lot of other choices.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:35 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,187 times
canned beans (chickpeas, white beans, kidney beans, black beans...)
pasta
canned tomato paste and tomato sauce
canned mushrooms
jar of sauerkraut
Food For Life or Ezekiel bread
Stacey's organic whole wheat tortillas
Plantation brand blackstrap molasses
Silk Cashew Milk
canned coconut milk (usually Thai Kitchen brand)
Sir Kensington's classic mayo
Always frozen peas, frozen mixed vegetables, frozen berries or mangoes (usually store brand, sometimes organic)
Annie's Homegrown Catsup
various dried spices and herbs
Wild Planet tuna, sardines, mackerel
Crowned Prince oysters

Old 06-09-2019, 08:23 AM

24,467 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Cans:
Tomatoes and paste
Beans
Pineapple

Jars:
Pickles and capers
Hering
Apple jelly
Corn syrup

Box (in plastic containers):
Pasta/rice
Flour
Sugar
Seeds
Dried fruit
Yeast

Old 06-09-2019, 09:16 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Mayonnaise, water chestnuts, coconut milk, rice noodles, Thai red chili sauce, pineapple, olives.

In jars, large assortment of pickled veggies, apricot jam, mustard, BBQ sauce.

Mostly stuff I can't grow myself. Except for mayonnaise. We use very little of it and can't use up even a small batch of homemade. My family likes Sweet Baby Ray's just as much as they like anything homemade, so Id don't bother to make BBQ sauce.

I've got lots of ingredients that I don't make or prepare myself: flours, nuts, grains, veg oils, but I don't think that is what OP is asking about.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:59 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,022 times
Quote:
How dependent on these foods are you for meals.
Addressing this part of the OP's post, the canned beans (black and garbanzos) are often the basis of a quick meal. The same with canned tuna. I often throw together bean/tuna patties. Canned soups at times for lunch, but we don't use canned soups for cooking. The quinoa/farro/dried pastas are used a couple of times a week. I find that I turn to my pantry a lot less now than I did when we were raising our family. We use fresh food items a lot more because there's more time available to shop.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Mayonnaise, water chestnuts, coconut milk, rice noodles, Thai red chili sauce, pineapple, olives.

In jars, large assortment of pickled veggies, apricot jam, mustard, BBQ sauce.

Mostly stuff I can't grow myself. Except for mayonnaise. We use very little of it and can't use up even a small batch of homemade. My family likes Sweet Baby Ray's just as much as they like anything homemade, so Id don't bother to make BBQ sauce.

I've got lots of ingredients that I don't make or prepare myself: flours, nuts, grains, veg oils, but I don't think that is what OP is asking about.
Pretty much the same: when I think of processed or commercial foods in my pantry, I assume that most of us do not make our own flour, oils, condiments etc.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:19 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
Pizza & other easy to reheat items n the freezer, for the days when we do not want to cook. I do use canned beans, although I often make beans from the dry state. I no longer make jams or jellies, so I buy those, as well as all the normal condiments. I eat a variety of fresh veg, but have no problem using frozen veg sometimes, it is very handy & does not spoil like the fresh one can.
Canned proteins like mackerel, tuna & salmon, chicken & even ham are good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink