Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:53 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You could do make your own sandwiches with a loaf of bread, a couple of kinds of lunchmeat, pre-sliced cheese, jar of pickles, and then you slice the tomatoes and have already washed lettuce. Bags of chips and apples, grapes, etc.,and a box of Little Debbies if you need a dessert. Lol!

Does it have to be an actual meal? I like antipasto trays with a couple of kinds of cheese, salami, pepperoni, olives, pickles, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. It's filling.
i think the sandwiches are a very good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 02:49 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
^^^

Not too long ago, a friend could invite other friends to their home and offer a light meal of the host's choosing and within the host's budget. The guest would enjoy the meal provided by the host as a sign of hospitality even if the meal was not that person's favorite meal.

Today, the host has to spend twenty minutes with each guest trying to find out each person's real or alleged food allergy, preference, diet du jour and the like.

Wonder why people don't meet for meals anymore?

great post!!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:41 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Op, buy a loaf of bread, various coldcuts, a brand new jar of mayo, some mustard, and people can make sandwiches. Buy some chips, bag of baby carrots, etc.

If people are willing to risk it, maybe you could chop up a tomato or onion to put in the sammiches.
Spit tea through my nose reading this.

Make your own sandwich or sub is the perfect solution.

I like the antipasto tray too. Crackers or sliced baguettes, cheese, cold cuts, olives, marinated mushrooms and/or veggies from a jar, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, pickled peppers... Then everyone can nibble along as you study.

Be sure to have some gluten free crackers (don't worry, you won't run out of these), wear disposable gloves when slicing the baguettes and open the jars in front of everyone.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:48 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Someone else hosts, so for better or for worse, they won't see my kitchen.

While i suppose somebody could make a suggestion that we switch to dealing with our own food...
1) for the time being anyways, it's already this way
2) we meet early enough that it's about dinnertime anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
With that budget, and being wary of home cooked meals, I'd probably get a couple $5 rotisserie chickens from Costco. A bag salad and/or side of Mac n cheese (frozen or from deli) will round things out and you're still within your budget.

You could probably do the same with chili and cornbread.
Well, while they're free to surmise what my budget was, the person providing the food spends his own money, so we're NOT required to share nor adhere to any sort of that.

Dang it.... in my OP i missed the "no" in front of Cocsto and wholesale clubs (e.g. Sams, BJs). Those are also too far away for me to buy from

Old 02-24-2016, 11:01 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

-I'm wary of making my own food due to time, and that the group may not "trust" home cooked foods from me
-I cover food every other month or so, so it things wouldn't really add up too much
-I did $12 for McDonalds, but I can up that to $20, $25, or $30 if the stuff was right
You mention the budget yourself in your OP. Hope you got some good ideas from this thread - even if people said costco you can still do the same from many grocery stores.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Spit tea through my nose reading this.

Make your own sandwich or sub is the perfect solution.

I like the antipasto tray too. Crackers or sliced baguettes, cheese, cold cuts, olives, marinated mushrooms and/or veggies from a jar, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, pickled peppers... Then everyone can nibble along as you study.

Be sure to have some gluten free crackers (don't worry, you won't run out of these), wear disposable gloves when slicing the baguettes and open the jars in front of everyone.
Pretty much this. I actually don't really see why a study group would need a meal - seems unwieldy. I would provide a selection of nuts, some clementines, cheese and crackers, hummus and crudite and call it good. A plate of cold cuts at the most - not everyone is going to like the same type of sub.

I showed up for a movie night at a friend's house one time with a wedge of Manchego, blood oranges and raw almonds, and my buddies went crazy over the plate I set up. They hadn't requested I bring anything in the first place, but they loved the simplicity and flavor.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:18 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
"I actually don't really see why a study group would need a meal - seems unwieldy."

I agree; kind of strange! If you're studying, just have some nibble-y snacks in bowls and drinks nearby.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:01 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
P

I showed up for a movie night at a friend's house one time with a wedge of Manchego, blood oranges and raw almonds, and my buddies went crazy over the plate I set up. They hadn't requested I bring anything in the first place, but they loved the simplicity and flavor.
What a good idea.

Just saw a Barefoot Contessa episode where she made up an antipasto tray and with cucumbers and so forth

Antipasto Platter Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

and a platter with toasted bread slices and Tuscan Mashed Chickpeas

Barefoot Contessa - Recipes - Tuscan Mashed Chickpeas

Those people who are worried about what the ingredients might be in the Tuscan mashed chickpeas or the cleanliness of OP's kitchen, could stick with the stuff out of the jar.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:31 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I think the best solution is order a couple of pizzas, have soda, water or juice available to drink. A bowl of chips is good as a snack.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Maybe you could served canned green beans.
With a snake head in it.

Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink