Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 05:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

this is an odd thread to me....

while on one hand,,, I was raised in a house,,,if I didn't eat whats on the plate,,,then id go to bed hungry,,plain and simple

on the other hand...making a wince or a face in something you don't like is natural..... I come close to dry heaving when that orangey evil squash is on my plate.... or peas

someone that is overly picky......its a luxury. but...ive got to believe most on here when they say they don't over react ...

only a couple times did someone get over dramatic in my house...and it wasn't a kid. ( a deer liver and heart soaking in the sink, seemed to offend a family members girl-friend.

kids I always give options,,,and never push them to eat something they don't like ...or tell them they cant have something,,,within reason

Old 03-18-2016, 06:35 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Can you not understand how "orange foods" are to him as organs are to you?
I can get not liking organs, because there's a whole smell and texture issue. But a color? That doesn't determine the flavor or texture. If he closed his eyes, he wouldn't know if something was orange or purple or rainbow colored.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I am a picky eater. I don't like mayo and avoid it like the plague. I don't really like creamy sauces or overly rich ones based on dairy. These two foods to me add unnecessary heaviness. I generally feel the same about sour cream on my food, but a dab in carrot or tomato soup is good to round out the flavor. I don't like cream based soup. For me creamy sauces feel,like they are trying to hide something.

I don't like chewy food (besides gummies). This means no clams, mussel or most octopus and squid. I also don't like oysters due to texture. Mushrooms as well. It is a no on the texture. I'll eat a few if I can't pick around them.

I also don't like the earthy taste of beets. They taste like dirt to me, though that varies based on the color of the beet and the preparation.

And no organ meats. .

After that I am fairly open. I can't think of a spice I don't like. I'd rather have no -European food in just about every case. I love bitter and tart flavors. Persian and afghan food is like an explosion of interesting combos.

I don't make faces. I had plenty of training growing up on eating weird (to me) food politely. But I prefer to have an idea of what is in my food before I eat it, to ward against things I dislike.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 PM

275 posts, read 252,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I think picky eaters are entertaining, and most voice their affliction like a badge of honor - "Oh no, none for me - I don't eat anything purple."

I'll try just about anything edible at least once, unless it's too fast for me to catch.
LOL

I am the pickiest eater EVER. I know it. I admit it. I don't make others feel bad, but for example at work, if someone is passing something around the office it goes like this "Do you want to try? Do you? Do you? Hey, so and so, want some? Hey, BookEditor, will you eat this?" It's funny.

I hate many textures. I hate all sea food. I hate tofu. And peanut butter and think raisins are the worst thing invented. I also hate whipped cream. See? I hate it all.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:46 PM

275 posts, read 252,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
this is an odd thread to me....

while on one hand,,, I was raised in a house,,,if I didn't eat whats on the plate,,,then id go to bed hungry,,plain and simple

on the other hand...making a wince or a face in something you don't like is natural..... I come close to dry heaving when that orangey evil squash is on my plate.... or peas

someone that is overly picky......its a luxury. but...ive got to believe most on here when they say they don't over react ...

only a couple times did someone get over dramatic in my house...and it wasn't a kid. ( a deer liver and heart soaking in the sink, seemed to offend a family members girl-friend.

kids I always give options,,,and never push them to eat something they don't like ...or tell them they cant have something,,,within reason
Honeydew melon. I am willing to bet I make a face at honeydew.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEditor View Post
Honeydew melon. I am willing to bet I make a face at honeydew.
I love watermelon, could eat it everyday for a month,,,

,but a cantaloupe?? I wont eat.. or honeydew

Old 03-19-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEditor View Post
LOL

I am the pickiest eater EVER. I know it. I admit it. I don't make others feel bad, but for example at work, if someone is passing something around the office it goes like this "Do you want to try? Do you? Do you? Hey, so and so, want some? Hey, BookEditor, will you eat this?" It's funny.

I hate many textures. I hate all sea food. I hate tofu. And peanut butter and think raisins are the worst thing invented. I also hate whipped cream. See? I hate it all.
hey lets get bookeditor....he wont eat it,,,he hates everything!!
(rings of an old commercial)

Raisins??? that's natures candy!!

whipped cream?????? you need a food therapist!!

Old 03-19-2016, 01:05 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I love this thread - it has been very amusing.

For the person who said they hate cilantro. My whole family is the same, one of my kids will break out in hives if he has anything with cilantro in it.

I know a 55 year old man who eats like a 5 year old. He will not eat a vegetable and the only fruit he will eat is watermelon. His diet consists of chicken wings, burgers, pasta and that's about it. Not surprisingly he is 360 pounds and has numerous health issues.

My granddaughter who is 7 is very picky and I blame her parents for being lazy and only serving her hot dogs, macaroni and cheese and happy meals. :-( She wouldn't even try steak until I bribed her. Turned down a taste of New York cheesecake!

As for me I would try most anything except certain animals (dogs, monkeys) and I wouldn't even try organ meats even though I will occasionally eat liver that is smothered in mushrooms & onions. Doesn't mean I will eat it regularly but I will try new foods.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:10 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Interesting question!

I just thought I'd post to say:

1. Picky eaters I know usually just say something like, "No, thanks, I don't like fish."

2. The even more interesting question would be: Does that aversion and narrow-mindedness extend to other areas of their lives?

Old 03-19-2016, 02:17 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I can get not liking organs, because there's a whole smell and texture issue. But a color? That doesn't determine the flavor or texture. If he closed his eyes, he wouldn't know if something was orange or purple or rainbow colored.
Actually, expert have established that the appearance of food has a big influence on our enjoyment of it. For whatever reason, orange is an unappealing color for this guy when it comes to food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink