Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 01:32 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
another restaurant trick that a chef shared with us, since i love the taste and texture of stir fried vegetables in Chinese restaurants, is for broccoli to first immerse briefly in boiling water (with a wire basket, quick dip into boiling water and then quick take it out) which gives it the lovely bright deep green color, and then stir fry it.

the same chef shared a sauce for the broccoli of brown sugar, soy sauce, white pepper, fresh ginger and garlic. yummy
If you leave the veggies until the end they will still have the color and snap of fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 01:43 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplugnw View Post
no matter if its an attempt at making Philly cheese steaks, pizza in the oven or fried rice ?

they tell you how to make fried rice, but it does not come close to the restaurant. Philly cheese steaks are good when you make it at home, but it does not have that taste they have at any restaurant. the take and bake pizza tastes great, but still not like the restaurant. if anyone knows that would be good ?
come on it is just practice, if you made fried rice 200 times , took notes, tried small changes and had tasters you too could make the best fried rice.

Also they use huge amounts of salts and fats that you might be very unlikely to accept for a home cooked meal..

Old 03-29-2016, 02:13 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
Well if one of you have figured out what ingredient creates the exquisite, unique taste when you order a steak at a restaurant, let us in on your secret.

Grilling a good cut of steak is good if it has some nice seasonings and cooked correctly, but it just ISN'T the same taste as restaurant grilled. I bought some liquid smoke and added a couple of drops hoping that might be it, but it isn't.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
...I bought some liquid smoke and added a couple of drops hoping that might be it, but it isn't.
But Bullwinkle, that trick never works.

Try a Montreal steak seasoning recipe next time.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:14 PM

902 posts, read 1,103,613 times
some things can be made at home with results comparable to good restaurants

Ribs, however can not...... well in my opinion

not sure what "witchcraft" is being employed by restaurants but the "Baby Back Ribs" from almost any restaurant (even Chili's) are delicious and usually around $20

whereas you can buy a full rack of "baby back's" uncooked at the local grocery store for $10.... but it seems there is nothing that can be done to them to make them tender and delicious

Pizza is the same way..... good pizza can only come from a restaurant, something about the business license hanging on the wall causes the pizza to be crisp and fantastic....... without that piece of paper the pizza would be doughy, bendy and flavorless

Old 03-29-2016, 03:17 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
...Ribs, however can not...... well in my opinion...
Say WHAAAAAAAAAT??? I guarantee there are quite a few of us in this forum who can put those restaurant ribs to shame. I'll even give you a tip - wrap in foil for the last hour of cooking if you want them to be fall-apart tender (not something desired in the BBQ competition world).

Old 03-29-2016, 03:46 PM

298 posts, read 276,646 times
Because restaurant food is not home-cooked and you have to know the ingredients to use for the food you need to cook, not all culinary skills are useful for home food since at home all it takes is just boiling and frying and baking using the oven or griddle or grill.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:53 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
some things can be made at home with results comparable to good restaurants

Ribs, however can not...... well in my opinion

not sure what "witchcraft" is being employed by restaurants but the "Baby Back Ribs" from almost any restaurant (even Chili's) are delicious and usually around $20

whereas you can buy a full rack of "baby back's" uncooked at the local grocery store for $10.... but it seems there is nothing that can be done to them to make them tender and delicious

Pizza is the same way..... good pizza can only come from a restaurant, something about the business license hanging on the wall causes the pizza to be crisp and fantastic....... without that piece of paper the pizza would be doughy, bendy and flavorless
My key to cooking ribs at home is oven braising them first. They'll be tender and delicious. Sometimes I'll finish them on the grill. Other times - I'm too lazy to do that and will just serve them "as is". Robyn

Old 03-29-2016, 03:55 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
another restaurant trick that a chef shared with us, since i love the taste and texture of stir fried vegetables in Chinese restaurants, is for broccoli to first immerse briefly in boiling water (with a wire basket, quick dip into boiling water and then quick take it out) which gives it the lovely bright deep green color, and then stir fry it.

the same chef shared a sauce for the broccoli of brown sugar, soy sauce, white pepper, fresh ginger and garlic. yummy
That is called blanching vegetables - and is a very elementary cooking technique. Robyn

Old 03-29-2016, 04:18 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
But Bullwinkle, that trick never works.

Try a Montreal steak seasoning recipe next time.
Nope, that's not it either. I've tried a few (store bought and home made)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink