Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That would be a contract bakery that produces items to the standards specified by Aldi. Whatever other products they make are irrelevant.
Actually, it is not irrelevant. The only thing that changes is the ingredients; the way the bakery is operated doesn't change depending on the contract. And even then the ingredients don't change all that much. The point is the baked goods are made locally, and are fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
It's incorrect because the name of the company is Aldi and not Albrecht Discount. People drive a Ford and not a Fords. The name of the smartphone company is Apple and not Apples

Nobody cares.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Aldi peddles some outrageously low grade garbage, beware, have mercy on your taste buds if you have any left. Aldi abuses some foodstuff beyond recognition. Aldi bread reeks with chemicals and it tastes like bitter chemicals.
wow, where are you getting the data to back your claim up? As for the breads, I love their Italian bread. The loaf is a little large for us to eat before it spoils or we get tired of it, but still love it. We also buy their bagels; again, so much cheaper than other places, with every bit as much flavor. Bread, regardless of where you get it depends on some knowledge to assure you are getting the product you hope you are. O course this goes for all foods. Their cheeses are good as well. The price of Havarti compared to super markets is about 1/2.

Last edited by nmnita; 04-06-2016 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I love their Italian bread. The loaf is a little large for us to eat before it spoils or we get tired of it, but still love it.
When I buy a too-big loaf of bread, I freeze half of it when I open it.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Please don't call it Aldi's. The name is from Albrecht Diskont. Calling it Aldi's is even worse than calling Kroger Kroger's.

I recently noticed that different Aldi and Walmart stores in the same city often have different prices on some items. So if you want to get the best deal on everything you have to compare the prices between different stores. For example, when gallon milk was 1.59 at some Walmarts, it was 2.39 at some nearby Walmarts. And recently raisin bread was temporarily 1.49 at some Aldi's and 1.79 at others. But they all seem to have the 1.79 price now.

Which of their varieties of bread is a little tougher than their regular cheap bread, so you can spread cream cheese on it without tearing the bread?
Isn't it actually ALDI?

The branding is always all caps.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I agree that adding an "s" on the end could be seen as incorrect. BUT, adding an apostrophe and an "s" is indicative of possession. Therefore, ALDI owns (possesses) the store and that makes it ALDI's.

My name is gypsy but when friends talk about visiting me at home, they don't say, "We're going to gypsy", they say "We're going to gypsy's".

Midwestern or not, some stores cry out for an s at the end. Native speaker or not, I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to it. When in Rome and all that...
my grandmother always calls Target, "Target's". Drives me crazy.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Making business names possessive when they are not branded that way is just a colloquialism, and isn't strongly correlated to any one region, but is somewhat correlated to education level.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:45 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
...somewhat correlated to education level.
I say Aldi's (ALDI's) because it's Aldi's location near me. How does that correlate with my education level?

Oh, and I like just about anything ALDI's store sells except canned goods.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
YOU even wrote Aldi's in your second paragraph.
To make it plural, not possessive. Apostrophes are often used to clarify that the s is not part of the name, even when it's used as a plural.

The reason why it should not be called Aldi's is that it implies you think someone named Aldi owns it. When a store brands itself without an apostrophe, we should follow that form to be consistent.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:09 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
my grandmother always calls Target, "Target's". Drives me crazy.
That's exactly the problem. You've hit it. Right in the target's bull's eye.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:37 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
I love shopping at Aldi. We do all of our shopping between Sam's Club (and that one does need an apostrophe and an "s"), Aldi, Food Lion, and our local grocery store.

I like to buy certain things in bulk, like dog and cat food. Can't beat Sam's Club for stuff like that.

Aldi generally has the lowest prices on things overall. For example, if I had a list of basic groceries and didn't feel like comparing prices, I would more than likely save money by shopping there. I think their products are great and haven't had any duds. Sometimes, they have unique products. Anyway, I do scan the sales ads for other stores before I go to Aldi, since some of the loss leaders at other stores are actually cheaper than the prices at Aldi. Overall, I do buy lots of produce, meat, boxed and canned goods, etc. from Aldi. I also love the pricing on their potted plants.

Food Lion sometimes has great sales, and I'm able to fill in what I don't find at Aldi there.

Lastly, my local grocer -- which is just a few blocks away from my house -- normally has higher prices, and the meat and produce are not good at all. However, they have the absolute best prices on canned goods when they have sales, so I go there for that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink