Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 11:06 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Aldi advertises plenty where I live. Their TV commercials, all based on how much more you get in your grocery bag for X number of $, are very clever, and I have shopped at Aldi as a result of seeing these commercials. There was an especially good one about a year ago, showing how much longer your receipt is when you spend, say, $50 at three different stores, the receipt from Aldi being so much longer than the receipt from the other two.

And they put a flier in my mailbox every week.
On LI we don't have Aldi TV commercials but they send a flyer in the mail every week. I can get $150 worth of groceries at Aldi for about $100. Certain things I buy they don't carry. I only like Dannon light and fit yogurt in Raspberry or coconut vanilla and Aldi does not have that flavor in their brand. Their cold cut meats are Meh, prefer to buy Boars head or black bear brand. The only meats I buy from there are the Spiral cut hams, chicken and ground beef or their frozen hamburgers which we really like. Garbage bags, paper plates, tissues, toilet paper and paper towels I buy there, dried pasta, PB, cereals, crackers, chips, hummus are a good deal there too. I do most of my major shopping at the bigger retail stores and use Aldi as a fill in.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,213,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
. I only like Dannon light and fit yogurt in Raspberry or coconut vanilla and Aldi does not have that flavor in their brand.
This is one gripe I have with them. They carry several yogurt brands, but every one of them has either corn syrup in it, artificial chemical sweeteners, or corn starch as a thickener.

They really need an organic yogurt with real cane sugar.

Corn starch added to yogurt as a thickener just screams low quality to me, as does HFCS.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:59 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have tried to like Aldi, but I just can't. I've tried it several times and their food just seems "off," low grade, or something. But then, I'm not a fan of generics at the regular grocery store, either. I know some of it is exactly the same, off the same assembly line as brand name, but some generics are very different than brand name so I don't even go there.
My thoughts exactly! I have trief shopping at several different Aldi locations over the years and been disappointed with the quality and taste of the food and the produce was always smaller than average and not you took size into account.

The two closest stores to me are Aldi and Whole Foods, both within 1/2 mile of my house.

Example: I noticed on an Aldi flyer that they had avocados for .39 cents each. I was making a large amount of guacamole so I went to Aldi but their avocados were TINY. The smallest that I have ever seen, and it would have taken 3 times as many avocados do there would be no cost savings. I went to Whole Foods and paid $1 each for very large, organic avocados.

I suppose for people who use canned goods and boxed dinners shopping at Aldi would make sense but I cook from scratch and purchase lots of fresh produce every week.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:07 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,020 times
I'll never be crazy about Aldi's.
Then again I hate shopping anywhere lol
I do get baking ingredients from Aldi's -
Way cheaper than anywhere else......
That's about all I'll get there.
Oh- their chocolates are really good-
Made in Germany

Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 PM

32,916 posts, read 36,310,068 times
I haven't been there in quite in quite a while because the location isn't convenient. I can find something to buy, though. I always leave the store with chocolate, Jaffa Cakes, dairy, baking needs, canned goods.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:07 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,311 times
I like Aldi's!! And they're opening a new one by me this Thursday. They are giving away Golden Tickets ala Willy Wonka - I want one.

I go several places for our shopping but from Aldi I like: Not from concentrate OJ, Fire roasted Hummus, Butter, Garlic Vinigarette salad dressing, fruits & veggies, big pack of toilet paper, and a few other things. I like that they have many repackaged Trader Joe's type stuff - like the Euro cookies, and chocolate.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
My thoughts exactly! I have trief shopping at several different Aldi locations over the years and been disappointed with the quality and taste of the food and the produce was always smaller than average and not you took size into account.

The two closest stores to me are Aldi and Whole Foods, both within 1/2 mile of my house.

Example: I noticed on an Aldi flyer that they had avocados for .39 cents each. I was making a large amount of guacamole so I went to Aldi but their avocados were TINY. The smallest that I have ever seen, and it would have taken 3 times as many avocados do there would be no cost savings. I went to Whole Foods and paid $1 each for very large, organic avocados.

I suppose for people who use canned goods and boxed dinners shopping at Aldi would make sense but I cook from scratch and purchase lots of fresh produce every week.
I too cook from scratch most of the time; I still love Aldis. No, not everything. You give the avocado size as an example; yes, they are small, and yes, if you need them for a crowd you are better off buying them somewhere else, but for just one serving, in a salad, on toast, whatever the small ones are a better value for us. Now, just 2 days ago we got huge cantaloupe for .99 each. It isn't quite ripe, will wait to see how it tastes. The one we got 2 weeks ago was as good as any we have had in years.

to be honest, I think this tread shows how subjective food is: what one loves, another can't stand. That is why we have so many great choices.

BTW: advertising; our Aldi stores have an ad in the local paper each Wednesday and on line. Other than that none. The rent a cart plan is something I personally love. It keeps people from just leaving their carts anywhere.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

About the only canned goods I use are tomato products--when it's winter and I can't grow my own and I haven't used anything boxed in 4 decades.I cook from scratch every day including my own bread, English muffins, everything. My grocery cart is 95% fresh produce and I LOVE ALDI. I only wish there was one closer to me. We go about every 3-4 months to get the things we can store on our garage shelves and in our extra garage fridge.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I LOVE ALDI. I only wish there was one closer to me. We go about every 3-4 months to get the things we can store on our garage shelves and in our extra garage fridge.

I am in the same boat. I am making my list up for my September trip to the midwest ... and waiting for the SoCal stores to open next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.