Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 02:20 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times

Advertisements

Please don't call it Aldi's. The name is from Albrecht Diskont. Calling it Aldi's is even worse than calling Kroger Kroger's.

I recently noticed that different Aldi and Walmart stores in the same city often have different prices on some items. So if you want to get the best deal on everything you have to compare the prices between different stores. For example, when gallon milk was 1.59 at some Walmarts, it was 2.39 at some nearby Walmarts. And recently raisin bread was temporarily 1.49 at some Aldi's and 1.79 at others. But they all seem to have the 1.79 price now.

Which of their varieties of bread is a little tougher than their regular cheap bread, so you can spread cream cheese on it without tearing the bread?

Old 04-06-2016, 02:45 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Please don't call it Aldi's. The name is from Albrecht Diskont. Calling it Aldi's is even worse than calling Kroger Kroger's...
Why not?????? It's Aldi's store location, just like the other is Kroger's store location.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:00 AM

3,952 posts, read 2,572,591 times
Quote:
Please don't call it Aldi's. The name is from Albrecht Diskont. Calling it Aldi's is even worse than calling Kroger Kroger's.

I recently noticed that different Aldi and Walmart stores in the same city often have different prices on some items. So if you want to get the best deal on everything you have to compare the prices between different stores. For example, when gallon milk was 1.59 at some Walmarts, it was 2.39 at some nearby Walmarts. And recently raisin bread was temporarily 1.49 at some Aldi's and 1.79 at others. But they all seem to have the 1.79 price now.

Which of their varieties of bread is a little tougher than their regular cheap bread, so you can spread cream cheese on it without tearing the bread?
Nobody calls it Albrecht Diskont. Aldi's is on their store sign. YOU even wrote Aldi's in your second paragraph.

The name is an interesting fact for sure. Thank you!

Old 04-06-2016, 03:59 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I do call it ALDI. But in analyzing the "origin of the name", ALbrecht DISkont, it wouldn't be incorrect to add an S now, would it?

Old 04-06-2016, 08:10 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I do call it ALDI. But in analyzing the "origin of the name", ALbrecht DISkont, it wouldn't be incorrect to add an S now, would it?

Agree.

I believe that the poster's implication was that Aldi is a German based company, like that is not COMMON knowledge. That is NOT going to keep me from shopping at places where they provide good value.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Nobody calls it Albrecht Diskont. Aldi's is on their store sign. YOU even wrote Aldi's in your second paragraph.

The name is an interesting fact for sure. Thank you!

The name of the store and the company is ALDI and not ALDI's. I have heard that it's a midwestern thing to add an "s" on the end of some store names. I'm not a native English speaker, but I'm sure that adding a "s" on the end is just wrong.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

It's incorrect because the name of the company is Aldi and not Albrecht Discount. People drive a Ford and not a Fords. The name of the smartphone company is Apple and not Apples

Old 04-06-2016, 08:41 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When shopping for a family it is definitely worth it to drive a bit out of the way for us to shop at Aldi. We take our big freezer chest and make it fun for the kids . Also helps we have a lot of storage shelves and extra fridge in the garage.

10 surprises you probably didn't know about Aldi | Clark Howard
I'm so glad you put this on here. I would have never known that they started accepting credit cards. I've only shopped at Aldi once and haven't been back because shopping there always involved a trip to the bank too. I never carry large amts of cash and don't own a debit card.

I've already made my list and did some price checking too. This week cantaloupes are less than half the price of the ones that I bought last week. I saw the savoritzs recommended, so I'm going to buy some of those too. I might try some of their frozen pizza too.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:00 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
The name of the store and the company is ALDI and not ALDI's. I have heard that it's a midwestern thing to add an "s" on the end of some store names. I'm not a native English speaker, but I'm sure that adding a "s" on the end is just wrong.
I agree that adding an "s" on the end could be seen as incorrect. BUT, adding an apostrophe and an "s" is indicative of possession. Therefore, ALDI owns (possesses) the store and that makes it ALDI's.

My name is gypsy but when friends talk about visiting me at home, they don't say, "We're going to gypsy", they say "We're going to gypsy's".

Midwestern or not, some stores cry out for an s at the end. Native speaker or not, I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to it. When in Rome and all that...

Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Please don't call it Aldi's.

I will call Aldi the way I see it on their signage. If I purchase a product from there, it is called Aldi's product.

https://www.aldi.us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink