Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:58 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
More hyperbole with no factual data. You can't make statements like this and expect everyone to believe them. I know quite a few folks who grow organic produce.
You expect facts?

Here's a fact - organic food is about 5% of total sales and about 5% of recalls.

There is no organic food "crisis" that would warrant "irridation" (whatever that is)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Meats have been irradiated for years, George Bush signed that in while he was in office.
it may have been approved, but once it was required to be labelled irradiation,,,,i don't see it in use

who will want to buy irradiation food?? the liberal media would go nuts about this,,
look what they did with pink slime,,, they broad-brushed the whole industry, that was totally wrong..

I'm a grocery store supervisor and know of no foods that are being irradiated (perishables)

yes it would be safer,,,but then again,,,if its required to be labelled most wont buy it

ORGANICS have been a farce for years.... a very expensive food religion, that is finally being exposed

soak your veggies in water n vinegar

Old 04-25-2016, 05:26 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
A better question is, "is it time" to stop mega-farming and mega-processing? Because that's where the mega-recalls come from.

And it's spelled irradiated.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:37 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
A better question is, "is it time" to stop mega-farming and mega-processing? Because that's where the mega-recalls come from.

And it's spelled irradiated.

And how many people will starve worldwide to death as more land is committed to producing smaller quantities of food?

Old 04-25-2016, 08:44 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And how many people will starve worldwide to death as more land is committed to producing smaller quantities of food?
I don't know, straw man. How many people will "starve worldwide to death"?

Old 04-25-2016, 10:09 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Yet, most of those who 'would starve to death' are already pretty much living in areas that are currently subsistence farming areas and are one failed crop away from starving to death. They are also in a lot more danger of losing control of their food sources with GMO seed than from their current 'natural' farming methods.

If someone is really worried about what they are buying at the grocery store, they might want to turn some of their wasteful lawn into garden beds, raise some of their own food, use natural insect control methods, and avoid those stores as much as possible. Committing more lawn yards to become more food producing land, right here in the US, would go a long ways towards reducing the ills inherent in a factory-food system. I'd rather take my chances on a tomato I grew that has a bug bite on it, than anything at all that has been irradiated to kill the evils on it.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:16 AM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You expect facts?

Here's a fact - organic food is about 5% of total sales and about 5% of recalls.

There is no organic food "crisis" that would warrant "irridation" (whatever that is)...
Do you have a source for the 5% of total sales and 5% of recalls???

You would expect that, but it seems to me the number is much higher for organic recalls. I am not sure the Federal government tracks organic versus non-organic recalls.

For example, the Pasco recall was just identified as a vegetable recall. The reason I clicked on the recall notice was that I just bought a lot of frozen vegetables at Costco for an extended camping and fishing trip. It was handy for me, since I do not buy organic. Once I saw it was all organic products I was clear.

There might be a bias, because when I check recall notices I probably do remember the organic ones since I cross them off my list.

Here is the Federal website for recalls: See Recent Recalls | FoodSafety.gov

Looks like another organic recall today:CVS Pharmacy Announces Voluntary Recall of Gold Emblem Abound Organic Spiced Herbal Tea Due to Possible Health Risk

If you drop out the "label" recalls it looks like there were two organic and two non-organic recalls. Granted it is a small sample, but probably worth checking the site over time. And remember lots of organic recalls like the Pasco recall, fly under the radar because they are just identified as "vegetable recalls".

Interesting that no recalls for pesticide residues above legal limits.

I think there is a tendency to view "natural" and "organic" as healthy. That might account for the lack of proper processing for organic products.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:31 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
I still prefer organic. I've eaten organic as much as possible all my life, and the only time I've ever gotten food poisoning was with fast food (very much non-organic).

Old 04-25-2016, 01:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
...look what they did with pink slime...
I never had a problem with "pink slime," but I also don't have a problem with eating insects.

I don't purchase "organic" foods, but I certainly don't think there's a problem with "deaths and sickness caused by eating organic foods."

Old 04-25-2016, 04:08 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Today...ANOTHER organic food recall.

Listeria sparks recall of vegetables frozen in Pasco, sold at Costco | The Seattle Times

If you click on the recall. You will notice that it is ALL organic food products.

Organic food products are the most dangerous food products that we eat. Is it time to we at least give consumers the option of eating organic and other foods protected by Irridation??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_irradiation

I would buy irridiated meats, fish, as well as vegetables. I would be great to have this option for consumers that are concerned about their health.

Please, no OH MY GOD comments....serious comment would you buy irridated hamburger and not worry about food safety anymore.
I love posts like this (note the heavy sarcasm) that are written with such confidence yet such ignorance. Do you even know what listeria is? Listeria has ZERO to do with whether a product is organic, natural, gmo, non-gmo, loaded with pesticides, radioactive, or from Jupiter. It is a bacteria that grows on food products that are not stored, processed, and/or transported properly. It has ZERO to do with how they are produced!!! No pesticide or fertilizer does ANYTHING to prevent the growth of listeria monocytogenes!! Listeria is a BACTERIA that is all over: in soil, in water, in poop, in A LOT of animals, and it lives in a WIDE temperature range. The most common items that carry/are susceptible to listeria are deli lunch meats and cheeses (because of the gross, wet cases they sit in - listeria lives in the moisture), and sprouts (esp. alfalfa) for the same reason: bacterial breeding ground. MOST of the time, and in the case of the specific recall you use to make alarmist claims, the issue is in the storing and processing of said produce, not in what the farmers are doing. It's the processing plant that needs to have a finger wagged at it, not the organics industry. Educate yourself before you post.

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 04-25-2016 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink