Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:47 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with foods that you used to hate and now you like? Suddenly, I like pickled beets and I have no clue why. I use to think they tasted like garbage. Anyone else have a food experience like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Pho, Vietnamese noodle soup. Did not like it the first time around (maybe a bad example) and now, love it.

Also, the same with Mexican food (think I had a bad example), and now, love it.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM

75 posts, read 91,651 times
There are several in fact. Used to hate broccoli, now I enjoy it, though I still don't like the smell of it when it is cooking. I didn't used to like hot foods, now I can't get enough. There some that go the other way too. I used to like chicken quite a lot, now, I rarely eat it and never order it in a restaurant. Liver, however, hasn't changed a bit. I hated it when I was a kid, hate it now.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Bitter melon. It's pretty easy to hate, but now I have it in stir-frys and with a good rich balance of other ingredients I really like the surprise jolt of the taste. I'm similarly warming up to how vinegars can brighten dishes. I never liked pickles in my sandwiches and now I love 'em.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What is the deal with foods that you used to hate and now you like? Suddenly, I like pickled beets and I have no clue why. I use to think they tasted like garbage. Anyone else have a food experience like this?
That could be for a couple of reasons. Maybe it's due to a change in taste buds as we get older, or maybe it has to do with how the "hated" food was prepared. When I was a kid I didn't like black olives, but now I do. Probably just a change in the way I perceived taste.

Pork chops, I used to dislike because my mother cooked the living daylights out of them. When I had it cooked differently, I couldn't believe it was pork, it tasted so good. An ex of mine hated cauliflower until he had it steamed. Maybe it was a different brand of beets? Who knows.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,753 times
Lettuce: It's so bland and I could never find a dressing I liked enough to want to deal with being a little healthier. Now, I can actually say that I eat salads because of Greek dressing.

All fish: I never liked it growing up because my mom used to feed me tuna (HATE tuna) and my grandma used to cook bacalao (salt cod) and it smells very fishy when being cooked, so I just stayed away from fish until I hit my late teens. As I got older, I kept my hatred for tuna, but I've become fond of bacalao, red & gulf snapper, tilapia, haddock, salmon, etc. No to grouper, though. It's too soft.

Yogurt: The texture and sourness used to kill me. Now I realized that 1. I don't really care for fruit in my yogurt (unless it's apple cinnamon) and 2. 0% fat yogurt is evil. I'll only get 0% & Greek strained yogurt with apple cinnamon but other than it's 1% fat in French vanilla for me.

Salsa: I disliked it until my mom poured some on my eggs. Now I'm a believer.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
That could be for a couple of reasons. Maybe it's due to a change in taste buds as we get older, or maybe it has to do with how the "hated" food was prepared. When I was a kid I didn't like black olives, but now I do. Probably just a change in the way I perceived taste.

Pork chops, I used to dislike because my mother cooked the living daylights out of them. When I had it cooked differently, I couldn't believe it was pork, it tasted so good. An ex of mine hated cauliflower until he had it steamed. Maybe it was a different brand of beets? Who knows.
Could be that I only had canned beets before. The places I have tried and liked it recently have been at places that wouldn't use canned.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM

410 posts, read 515,088 times
When I was a kid, I absolutely hated pizza and cilantro. I love these things now and I am really glad I gave them another chance.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,798 times
I grew up hating cheese. I just couldn't get past the smell of it. The only cheese I ate while growing up was mozzarella, and on pizza only. Now, I like many types of cheese. From sharp cheddar to Swiss to bleu (including gorgonzola and roquefort) to feta. Times have changed for me when it comes to cheese.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM

588 posts, read 796,207 times
I thought I hated pinapple until I became 30 and learned how sweet they are when stir fried. Then I learned that a lot of pinapples taste sweet even without being cooked. In general, I used to be known as a picky eater, but now I'm known as someone who can enjoy eating anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink