Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 11:45 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,353,950 times

Advertisements

Just bought my first jackfruit. I don't know why - I don't remember ever having jackfruit. It just looked interesting in the produce aisle.

Anyone have a good (and easy) recipe? What I've found online seems overly complicated and doesn't look too tasty. What am I going to do with this huge jackfruit? It is on the counter now and intimidating. It is ripe and ready to go. It is bigger than my dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 01:05 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,851,469 times
You can make an amazing vegan approximation of a BBQ pork sandwich. Having eaten this version in a nearby local restaurant. Sorry, I don't have a recipe more than this review. But it was amazing! And I am in no way shape or form a vegetarian, much less a vegan- I ****ing live on bacon! But this was about the best sandwich I've ever had, meat or no meat.

Kindred

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kindred-san-diego

Old 05-01-2016, 05:44 AM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times
Oh, don't regret! It's a wonderful and very healthy fruit! You got lucky, because it's hard to find where I live. I get it sometimes in an ethnic store. It taste sweet/tangy, but you can prepare it in many different ways.
Start with easy:
cut the fruit in half, dig out the flesh, remove seeds, cut in chunks, season with ... BBQ seasoning, and saute in a frying pan for 20 min. Add BBQ sauce and simmer 10 more minutes.
Serve on a bun like pulled pork. With guacamole/avocado, and/or coleslaw.
https://goo.gl/K12P6m
It taste amazing that way!

Or make a taco with it! (same preparation)
https://goo.gl/tKRT3N

Great for vegetarians

BTW: don't discard the seeds!!! They have lots of nutrition!!
You can boil them:
put in a pot, cover with water, boil for 30 min (check with a fork if soft like potato), drain, let them dry a little, then peel off the "plastic like" skin and eat!

Or you can roast:
http://food.onehowto.com/recipe/how-...eeds-3661.html

Enjoy!!

Last edited by elnina; 05-01-2016 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-01-2016, 08:27 AM

1,859 posts, read 1,641,673 times
What DON'T you do with a Huge Jackfruit?! Am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink