Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 05:59 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times

Advertisements

here are some of my typical brown bag lunches back in school

pig's feet, pig's snout, fried chicken, barbecue chicken, home made smoked salmon, sticky rice wrapped in leaves, sometimes wrapped in seaweed.

home made buns stuffed with barbecue pork, egg rolls, egg salad sandwiches, meat loaf sandwich, Spam sandwich

pork spare ribs, saltine crackers, chicken in a biscuit, home made fried apple pies, bananas

cold cut sandwiches, chips, pop tarts, and lots of home made beef jerky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 06:00 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
I'd be all over that tomato sandwich. I've never had a radish sandwich so I looked it up and it sounds good.

Radish Sandwiches With Butter And Salt Recipe - NYT Cooking

Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Spam is one of my son's favorite sandwiches. Mine too. But I fry it...never ever not fried.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:51 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I'd be all over that tomato sandwich. I've never had a radish sandwich so I looked it up and it sounds good.

Radish Sandwiches With Butter And Salt Recipe - NYT Cooking
I've eaten plenty of tomato and cucumber sandwiches, but I wouldn't have wanted a radish sandwich when I was a kid.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 PM

366 posts, read 432,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've eaten plenty of tomato and cucumber sandwiches, but I wouldn't have wanted a radish sandwich when I was a kid.
Tomato and cucumber sandwiches are great on a flat bread bun with alfalfa sprouts and a low cal spread...vinaigrette, a smattering of low cal mayo, etc... not too spendy either.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:11 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
1950s and 1960s - I brought my lunch from home (because it was cheaper than buying a lunch, which was 35 cents if memory serves) and bought a 5 cent half-pint of whole milk. But often my milk was poured into a small Thermos. Why did none of these lunches have a Thermos of anything? All the metal lunch boxes came with a matching Thermos.
Always a sandwich: PBJ, American cheese on bread with mayo, bologna. Occasionally a piece of cold fried chicken. Sometimes the Thermos held soup!
Carrot sticks, celery sticks, sliced green pepper. If I was really lucky a little sweet gherkin or two.
A small bag of potato chips or Fritos.
Maybe a cookie. But often, no cookie, no dessert.

No plastic sandwich bags - there were none! Mom wrapped everything in wax paper. Pickles were wrapped in a bit of aluminum foil, salvaged from another use. Foil was never just thrown away. Mom wiped it off, smoothed it and carefully folded and put it away.
Schools did not allow us to bring carbonated soft drinks. They'd get shaken up and explode when you opened them. Glass bottles - no way to open them plus there was a danger that the bottle would break.

In high school, we had a chocolate milk machine in the cafeteria. You could insert a nickle and gamble that you'd get a half pint of chocolate milk. About half the time, you did!
The only soft drink machine was outside the office so the principal could see who dared to try to get a drink. Only seniors were allowed to occasionally buy one.

I remember my dad, who grew up in the 1920s and 1930s, said his lunch might include a biscuit from breakfast, a piece of ham but usually a piece of fried fatback from the hog they killed last fall, and an apple from their apple tree, all packed into a metal bucket. Want a drink? You'd go to the school well, draw up a bucket of water and dunk the (single) dipper into the bucket to get a cold drink of water.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:02 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I don't really think those were representing actual brown bag lunches that kids took to school. It felt more like they were including foods typical of the time in a brown bag. Just because the wedge salad became a thing in the 1940s doesn't mean moms sent it to school with their kids for lunch.

My parents went home for lunch even in the 50s.

Re: sodas

We were never allowed to bring sodas in our lunches in the 70s. They were strictly forbidden by the schools because of the fear they would explode and make a mess in your desk, locker or cafeteria.

Field trips were a big deal because we COULD bring them then, and I remember everyone bringing a can of soda wrapped in aluminum foil "to keep it cold." LOL

Old 05-03-2016, 06:14 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I grew up in the fifties. In grammar school we went home for lunch. In high school there was a cafeteria, but most students brought lunch from home. Ham sandwiches, meat loaf sandwiches, and similar were typically the entree accompanied by pickles, olives, or sweet peppers along with grapes, abanana, or another fruit. I could buy a half pint of milk at school for 7c. That was market rate as I attended a private school.

There were no free lunches.
And I was a latch key kid in the 70's. My father became a miserable, abusive unemployed drunk so my mom kicked his a*s out and had to work as a secretary to pay the bills and raise 3 kids. Bag lunches were rare- she had to get ready for work.

We had little money and I was on the reduced lunch plan at school. 10c as I recall. On days where my mom worked overtime it was often the best meal of the day for me.

I started packing my own lunch in Jr. and Sr. High School.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
I used to bring a bologna sandwich with mayo in my Scooby Doo lunchbox, and it would sit at room temperature for five hours until lunchtime, yet it never made me sick.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:26 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I used to bring a bologna sandwich with mayo in my Scooby Doo lunchbox, and it would sit at room temperature for five hours until lunchtime, yet it never made me sick.
Let's hear it again for preservatives!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink