Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:38 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
...The school cafeteria lunches were made from scratch by lunch ladies who knew how to cook like our mothers knew how to cook. Homemade pull-apart dinner rolls, homemade cinnamon rolls, homemade everything - and it actually tasted good. We felt sorry for the kids who couldn't afford school lunch and had to bring their lunch...
All of that "high-fat, high-calorie" food, and there were fewer obese kids then. Children were fed a sufficient meal that gave them enough sustenance to make it through the school day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
All of that "high-fat, high-calorie" food, and there were fewer obese kids then. Children were fed a sufficient meal that gave them enough sustenance to make it through the school day.
Yep! When I look at class pictures from grade school, I realize that the two only two kids in grade school that I considered "fat" back then were not fat at all compared with today's standards. Most of us were rail thin and they were only slightly heavier than the rest of us.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
"Back then" kids were actually sent OUTSIDE to play. Recess was running,jumping,tag,dodge ball etc. P.E. was actually physically exerting like swimming,running,sports.
When the kids got home they were kicked out the door until dinner then again until the porch light was turned on.
Nowadays kids sit on their arse exercising their fingers and maybe their elbows reaching for food/drinks, recess is being removed to add more instruction time because kids can't pass required tests and P.E. seems to be an elective.
CHEAP Processed food filled with dye/sodium/corn syrup and preservatives replaces actual scratch cooked tasty food and we wonder why kids are what they are today.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:20 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yep! When I look at class pictures from grade school, I realize that the two only two kids in grade school that I considered "fat" back then were not fat at all compared with today's standards. Most of us were rail thin and they were only slightly heavier than the rest of us.
There were two "fat" kids in my class, and they weren't really fat--just a little pudgy. Everyone else was average or thin. And we ate as much fat, sugar and calories as we could get. I did. There were no food restrictions in my youth. Our parents said that we were, "good eaters". Yep.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:30 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
This was very interesting, but it was wrong about the 1960s. A "wedge salad and Tang? Really? I went to elementary school and HS in the 1960s and I never saw anyone take Tang breakfast drink to school. Students who packed bag lunches generally bought milk at school in a little container. I think it was ten cents.

When I brought lunch from home, it was always a sandwich. Same with my friends and anyone who I knew. Typical sandwiches were ham and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, tuna salad, baloney, egg salad, liverwurst, cream cheese and jelly and my favorite - Kraft Pimiento and cream cheese spread with green olives.

Most of us took a few cookies or a Drakes snack cake, a piece of fruit - apples and bananas were most common.

In the 70s, I don't remember Tab soda pop ever being sold at school. I think I ate yogurt and fruit quite a bit - or one of the sandwiches I listed.

The rest of it was pretty interesting. Except, I don't think many kids took cold pizza to school in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink