Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
Insects.
I'm all-in for edible insects. Meal worms and crickets actually taste like fried pork rinds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 11:38 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Rabbit? They breed quickly and can be raised in a relatively small space.
Who wants to eat the Easter Bunny? Rabbits are too cute for animal-crazy Americans to eat.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:37 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Then, why is rabbit meat so expensive?
Because its a novelty. There just aren't many people that actually buy them. If people started buying and cooking just 1 rabbit a month then farmers would start dedicating resources to raising them and soon Tyson would have a mega rabbit barn that housed 100 bajillion rabbits stacked in cages on top of each other and they would hire 1 bajillion illegals to process them and you could buy them in Walmart for $ 0.49 a lb.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:39 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Who wants to eat the Easter Bunny? Rabbits are too cute for animal-crazy Americans to eat.
I kind of like hassenpfeffer.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:50 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
the beef heard is larger this year than previous years,
I can order whatever beef I want at whatever quantities..
in fact prices are 20% lower this year than last year
beef is sustainable- has been and will be ....we have plenty of animals and plenty of feed..
in fact this year it is predicted americans will increase the amount of beef we eat

what will hurt the industry is the alarmist like yourself spewing propaganda, and over regulations from the government
(ive been in the meat business for 3 decades )

the propagandists and alarmists said the same thing about lobsters 30 years ago,,,,and guess what?? we harvest almost double the millions of pounds lobsters annually (in maine)
with no sign of the lobsters decreasing ( my father is a lobster fishermen, I grew up on a lobster boat)

we started selling tilapia about 15 years ago in maine,,,haddock prices started to rise, and we wated cheap fillets..
then the alarmists and propagandists' said not to eat tilapia,,,...they are fed raw animal wastes
and now most wont eat tilapia around this region..same with shrimp

when people have an agenda and "pink-slime" certain foods... yep sometimes the alarmists win

we had a rabbitry in maine 16 years ago called "the last hop"
it was doing well, the state ultimately shut them down.....
they went from a farmers market, where there are no regulations to a meat manufacturer, where you have 5000 regulations,,
they should have stayed small and had more locations,,,

Old 05-09-2016, 03:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
We all know that beef is not sustainable if everyone in the world starts to eat steak/burgers like Americans, because it takes a lot of lands and water and other resources to produce a pound of beef in comparison to say Chicken.

What's the most easily produced meat? Is it Tilapia?
the most easily produced meat to fill my freezer is deer, moose, turkeys, during hunting season

on a large scale,,,we export millions of tons of beef,,,meaning we can and do already produce more than we consume.. a surplus,,,,

if more of the world stars eating beef,,,,they can produce their own ..many countries prefer lamb to beef and grow more sheep

don't believe everything you read on the anti-meat agenda websites

Old 05-09-2016, 05:02 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Everything is sustainable if people simply consume in moderation.

And what's the point of substituting fish for beef? They're hardly similar. No one needs to consume animal products. They're not necessities.

So, again, the key isn't choosing one or the other, it is consuming in moderation and making plants a larger part of human diets.
Yes. Moderation. A concept lost in today's society.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:49 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

we started selling tilapia about 15 years ago in maine,,,haddock prices started to rise, and we wated cheap fillets..
then the alarmists and propagandists' said not to eat tilapia,,,...they are fed raw animal wastes
and now most wont eat tilapia around this region..same with shrimp

About 20 years ago my wife and I were in an eco park in Cozumel Mexico. They were farm raising tilapia at that time. Went for lunch and on the menu was a whole tilapia dish. It was one of the best fish dishes I've ever had. I believe that once you've had bad tilapia from the Pacific rim it turns most people off. I will not buy it because I don't trust the label as far as where it comes from. Also the difference between fresh and frozen turns me off especially since I've had fresh tilapia and I have access to some great fish here on LI.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 AM

50,368 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Stuff? They are flavorless, and they have an unappetizing texture. Wait... that sounds a lot like tofu. There are many vegetable sources of protein that are a lot better than toilet trout.
I know we have heard stories about foreign tilapia being raised on sewage, but I'm sure there are safe varieties. I avoid it also, most of the time. It is a very mild fish, for those who don't like to taste anything when they eat.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
US farmed beef eat corn and stuff too.

Sustainable meat comes from animals which graze on land where crops can't grow, or fed with scraps from other activities (like kitchen scraps) which is where/how they traditionally were grown. What you want now is pasture fed meat, from whatever animal. Even if they graze on land where crops could grow, they're actually better for the land than annual crops are, in terms of soil management. Look on eatwild.com for a local supplier. Whole foods often has pastured meat.

Fish are not easily counted, and most fisheries have terrible management. Avoid fish.
Or just eat fish from reliable sources? Wild-caught Alaskan salmon is one of the healthiest foods on the planet.

Also, there are LOADS of fish that you can buy in Caribbean stores imported from the Amazon, such as Butterfish, Banga Mary, Hassar, Crocker, to name a few. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating those on a daily basis. No fear of mercury poisoning, clean waters, wild-caught...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink