Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 04:07 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It will be fine.

You are at more risk putting the hot bird in the fridge than leaving out to cool at room temperature.

I always leave my cooked chicken out all night and refridgerate it the next day.

BTW, my hubs who has a culinary degree and a biology degree is the one who told me to let it cool to room temp overnight.
^^^ I agree. Left fully cooked food out overnight many, many times in my life. Never had any problems...
Took leftovers for lunch at work, left in my desk till noon (sometimes later) and never got sick.
I guess, people's sensitivity vary, so do whatever you feel is safe for you, but if you never try, at least a very small amount of such food (and increase it, if no problems), you will never know your own sensitivity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 04:09 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
I wouldn't touch that bird - too many hours in the "danger zone."

Old 05-09-2016, 04:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ I agree. Left fully cooked food out overnight many, many times in my life. Never had any problems...
You're assuming everyone has the exact same conditions (temperature, humidity, airflow, flora, fauna, etc.)

Old 05-09-2016, 04:19 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
It was covered in its original container. It's a rotisserie boneless turkey breast, so it's very well-cooked and salted. I'm also in Colorado where food tends to dry but not rot.

I work from home. I'll risk it.

I'll let you all know if I suffer any ill effects

Old 05-09-2016, 04:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It was covered in its original container. It's a rotisserie boneless turkey breast, so it's very well-cooked and salted. I'm also in Colorado where food tends to dry but not rot.

I work from home. I'll risk it.

I'll let you all know if I suffer any ill effects
It's fine.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I got distracted yesterday afternoon and left a cooked rotisserie turkey breast out overnight. It was a pretty well-cooked turkey - do you think it's still edible?

(So upset about this!)
Depends on the temperature of your house. If it was around 68 degrees F I would still eat it.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
normally, I would say, when in doubt, throw it out

if it were me,,and I hate throwing anything out

being poultry id heat this up to about 165 degrees,,

this will kill any bacteria...

Old 05-09-2016, 05:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
When I roast a chicken, I eat half of it the day I make it, half the following day. I don't refrigerate the leftover portion. I don't like the way it smells or tastes when I take it out of the fridge. I make stock when I finish the second half of the chicken. I have never gotten sick from eating either the second-day chicken or the soup I make from the stock. I've been doing it this way for years.

This is just what I do. Not recommending it to anyone else, as it runs counter to food safety law.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:11 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
We'd eat it. I'm not saying that I recommend that anyone else do that -- so don't blame me if you do happen to somehow get sick -- but we would. And have. My husband purposely leaves things out of the fridge because that's how his parents did it growing up. I don't mean stuff with mayo or anything like that, but stuff like pizza...yes. Or a turkey breast, as long as your kitchen isn't like ridiculously hot.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:12 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
When I roast a chicken, I eat half of it the day I make it, half the following day. I don't refrigerate the leftover portion. I don't like the way it smells or tastes when I take it out of the fridge. I make stock when I finish the second half of the chicken. I have never gotten sick from eating either the second-day chicken or the soup I make from the stock. I've been doing it this way for years.

This is just what I do. Not recommending it to anyone else, as it runs counter to food safety law.
Yep, that's how my hubs is. He doesn't like the smell or taste or texture are refrigerating certain things. My MIL left a LOT of leftovers out of the fridge -- and still does. My mom always refrigerated everything. Hubby and I have kind of come to an agreement...I insist on certain things going in the fridge, but something like a fully cooked turkey breast I'd be fine with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink