Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
Do you cook with it? I bought some because of a post I saw about cooking Chinese takeout at home.
We always seemed to have it in the house when I was growing up, but my mom didn't cook, so I have no idea what she bought it for. LOL
What do you use it for?

I use it. Most people easily tolerate MSG..

Accent is used tenderize meat and to provide additional flavor to certain greens.

It is commonly found in Chinese food to provide unami and is also a staple in soul food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 09:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

"Monosodium glutamate is found in tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, potatoes, mushrooms

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given MSG its generally recognized as safe (GRAS) designation. A popular belief in the Anglosphere is that large doses of MSG can cause headaches and other feelings of discomfort, known as "Chinese restaurant syndrome," but scientists have been unable to trigger such reactions in controlled studies.[Gov. 2] The European Union classifies it as a food additive permitted in certain foods and subject to quantitative limits. MSG has the HS code 29224220 and the E number E621.[Gov. 3]"

I personally love MSG in soups and certain dishes, because there's no proof that MSG causes headaches. I don't see people complaining about headaches after parmesan cheese or potatoes. It's natural occurring compound in foods just in concentration.

If you get a headache from chinese food, consider order something that is not heavy in sauce. I hate the type of stir fry sauce they use that contains lots of preservatives and chemicals that act as binders. I get indigestion from the oily and greasy lo mein.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:39 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
I love to put it on popcorn...but yeah, it's not good for you.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:46 AM

802 posts, read 642,142 times
Fortunately, neither husband nor I have reactions to MSG. I do a lot of stir fry and fried rice dishes.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:23 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
Always thought Accent was made from papaya...And MSG from seaweed...

Too things you can buy in the grocery store:

MSG (in the spice department) and Gluten (in the baking department) You can really screw with folks that have these allergies by keeping these items on hand...

Happy Weekend!

Old 05-13-2016, 01:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Always thought Accent was made from papaya...And MSG from seaweed...

Too things you can buy in the grocery store:

MSG (in the spice department) and Gluten (in the baking department) You can really screw with folks that have these allergies by keeping these items on hand...

Happy Weekend!
The reason you can buy gluten is that it's often added to bread dough to enhance the texture. People who bake bread have used it for many years. It's only in the last few years that gluten has been considered a bad thing, except for people who have celiac disease, who have always had to avoid it.

Bread flour has more gluten than regular flour but I've always been cooking on a budget so I would buy gluten from the bulk bin at the health food store and add that to regular flour.

You can buy 1lb bags of MSG in Asian groceries. I have a bag and have experimented with adding it to different foods. None of my family seems to be sensitive to it, which is a good thing.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:48 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
Fortunately, neither husband nor I have reactions to MSG. I do a lot of stir fry and fried rice dishes.
Ditto for us. For a while I bought into the hype about MSG being the devil's dust, but then sampled some Harris Ranch prime beef seasoned with this:

http://www.amazon.com/S-B-Seasoned-P.../dp/B007FMLTHE

And we've been disciples of the dirty powder ever since. I use it on my eggs, vegetables, and of course my steaks. I stopped marinating steaks and just sprinkle them with this seasoned pepper shortly before grilling.

Asian food is a hot item in our meal rotations, especially Japanese. And yes, as an earlier poster mentioned you can buy sacks of it for a few bucks at most Asian markets. Peruvian cuisine is also highly seasoned with MSG, brought into popularity likely by the large Japanese community in Peru.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Almost all Japanese seasoning products have MSG especially ramen and soup bases. The only real side effects with MSG is dry mouth and causes you to get very thirsty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink