Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:22 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times

Advertisements

What is it most comparable to? Shrimp? Lobster? Other?

Been watching these guys the past 45 years down by my stream but that's as far as it went ... just watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 08:31 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Why not just grab a few and cook 'em up?

Old 05-14-2016, 08:58 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

Been watching these guys the past 45 years down by my stream but that's as far as it went ... just watching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why not just grab a few and cook 'em up?

Give me some cooking suggestions.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:07 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,007 times
I think they're similar to shrimp but a little sweeter. I've had them boiled, fried, in etouffee, etc. My favorite way, by far, is just boiled in spicy water and sprinkled with spice when they're pulled out of the water. Lots of people add corn and small red potatoes to the water too.

If you're going to boil some that have been freshly pulled from the water, it's important to purge them and throw out the dead ones.

I love 'em!

Old 05-14-2016, 10:03 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,585,459 times
Crayfish (crawfish, crawdads) are known as poor mans lobster. Crayfish has been known to be substituted for lobster in some restaurant dishes too. To me it does taste very similar to sweet lobster - similar texture also. Delicious prepped most ways you'd cook shrimp or crab. Boils, bakes, bisque - with drawn butter - you name it.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:44 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
I like crawfish and I like lobster. However, the taste is not that similar. The crawfish has a sweet flvor but tastes more similar to a shrimp. Of course, this does vary by the location where they are grown.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Crawfish (the only thing you hear them called in Texas & Louisiana) are similar in flavor and texture to tender shrimp. You generally just eat the tails (and suck the fat/juice out of the heads), as PennyLane2 said above, boiled with seasonings, corn, potatoes, & even smoked sausage. Crawfish Boils are as much a cultural event as they are a meal, as it takes many pounds to make a meal, so it's best done for a crowd. Beer's usually flowing as well. We had crawfish the other day & just Mr. hellpaso & I ate 7 pounds. This time if the year you can buy them by the 30 pound sack at grocery stores & seafood markets.

If you want to have them in a casserole or pasta dish, it's much easier & trouble free to buy the tails cleaned & frozen. The frozen ones aren't as good as the fresh, but they'll do in a "pinch" (crawfish humor lol! ). If you can, try to only buy the Louisiana crawfish--the Chinese farmed raised ones are cheaper but questionably grown.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:17 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

Crawfish/Crayfish are fresh water critters, with a similar texture to shrimp or a tiny lobster. In terms of taste, they have somewhat a sweet taste but lack the brininess of saltwater shellfish as they have somewhat of a pond flavor that needs to be eliminated by heavy seasoning.

Most Crawfish boils use plenty of Louisiana style seasoning, and vinegar or lemon in the water. It HAS to be seasoned, and fairly heavily. They work great in gumbos, etouffee, that have a strong flavor profile to begin. One of my favorite ways to eat it is at the Vietnamese crawfish joints that shakes them with hot butter, garlic and cayenne.

A plain boiled crawfish doesn't taste very good, like the taste of a muddy pond and the scent of worms or a bog on a hot summer afternoon (which is basically where they live)

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 05-14-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 05-14-2016, 04:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,394 times
I was invited to a crawfish boil and helped the host prepare 2 big coolers worth. we tried our best to separate the dead ones and keep them flushed with fresh water.

I was amazed to watch a few people stand at the table and just keep eating non stop for about 1 hour. I ate a few and lost interest because it was too much work so I picked up some kielbasa and ate those instead.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:42 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,227 times
I've had some and I thought it was like lobster. It was very nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink