Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it qualifies as a 'truck stop,' but as a child my family would go across country
every summer, from Va. to California, where we had relatives. At that time, route 66 was still useable, I remember when they began construction and and began building a parallel highway.

We would stop at great places like Stuckeys, where pecan logs and cactus candy abounded. Postcards and other souvenirs (remember Mexican jumping beans anyone?) were eye candy. There was a long, winding, baby blue counter in each of them, where you could order anything from hamburgers to club sandwiches. I always loved the food.

Ah, a trip down nostalgia lane...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 07:34 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
In my travels in the USA, as a commercial driver, I came to the conclusion that most Americans have very low expectations, when it comes food on the road. The most disgusting food that I saw was the heated mush served on the buffet table . Boiled veggies that were so limp that they were tasteless, pre frozen French fries, salad that only had wilted lettuce, no tomatoes, no radishes, no cucumbers, no croutons, no salad dressing choices other than ranch or French.

If it wasn't deep fired, it had to be a pie, or maybe not.........

Jim B.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 AM

18,530 posts, read 1,428,363 times
My few experiences were good. The service by friendly wait staff was commendable. Often times the food was plain style but tasty and "I'm going after a second helping of this". The coffee was worth it!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:51 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
The truck stop near me just has a slew of the usual national chain restaurants like Subway. I don't think there are too many of the old school mom and pop stops anymore.

Last edited by s1alker; 05-19-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 09:22 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I guess if you're hungry enough anything tastes good. We stop at a truck stop on our way up north for breakfast. The food is okay and it has a large field to let my dogs run around in without getting hit by a car or truck.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:36 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
In my travels in the USA, as a commercial driver, I came to the conclusion that most Americans have very low expectations, when it comes food on the road. The most disgusting food that I saw was the heated mush served on the buffet table . Boiled veggies that were so limp that they were tasteless, pre frozen French fries, salad that only had wilted lettuce, no tomatoes, no radishes, no cucumbers, no croutons, no salad dressing choices other than ranch or French.

If it wasn't deep fired, it had to be a pie, or maybe not.........

Jim B.
Do they serve healthier food in Canadian truck stops?

Old 05-19-2016, 09:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
In the 60's and 70's when I was in the Navy and did a lot of cross country driving we always looked for places with lots of 18 wheelers parked in the lot -- figured the truckers knew where the food was best. It consisted mainly of meat and potatoes with bread and butter, tasted really good and filled you up. I guess like all things in this country it could be different today. After all, Howard Johnson's restaurants used to be as common as gas stations on the interstates.

LOL...big urban myth, like truckers are some sort of advanced foodies.

they're at truck stops, because they're convenient to park at and the truck stop restaurants certainly aren't motivated to offer up anything other than tasteless slop to their clientele.

last several truck stops I've eaten at (because they were convenient) were horrible...now I search out a just as easy to find fast food joint when I need the convenience while on the road.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:56 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
My dad was the original Clark Gwiswold and yes, I've eaten at a million truck stops, Stuckeys, HoJos, etc haven road tripped all over the entire continental US by the time I was 15 and then did it again in college.

Yes, the food was always solid American, good food. The food varied as to the part of the country.

My dad also loved to stop at those anonymous, cinderblock buildings with 'Restaurant' in neon across the top.

Places that serve bad food don't stay in business long. I never saw any buffets so I can't comment on them.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:31 AM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,140 times
I like truck stop biscuits and gravy if they're made from scratch.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:50 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
You mean there are people who have never eaten at a truck stop? Wow.

Quality varies, just as it does in other restaurants. Even the same truck stop can change. There was one we liked in the Flyin' J at Cheyenne, until it went downhill. The gas station remained the same but the restaurant changed hands.

You can't just use the number of vehicles parked at it as an indicator of food quality. Some towns only have that one truck stop for their restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink