Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:02 PM

32,790 posts, read 36,046,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
When I see the words truck-stop, I immediately think U.S.A., and imagine ham 'n' eggs, stacks of pancakes, biscuits, (U.S. biscuits, not U.K. ones), and gravy, and grits if down south.
I did a couple of years trucking in the U.K. as a younger man, there they are known as transport cafes, almost everything is fried, eggs, bacon, chips, (fries), I swear they'd fry the toast if they could, instead of putting it under a grill, or in a toaster.
Rarely could you get coffee, other than the cheapest instant kind, it was the norm for giant cups or mugs of tea, which I never drink, and can't stand the smell of.
I went into a transport cafe in Staffordshire once, asked for a black coffee, and got, "Coffee? Where d'you think you are, in the Ritz?"
For three years I drove intercontinental, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, a different world cuisine wise, croissants, pain au chocolat, baguettes, slices of jambon, or fromage at breakfast, with good strong coffee.
At lunch time you could get ratatouille, crêpes, blanquette de veau, onion soup etc., and what amazed me, carafes of wine to wash it down with.
I like a drink, but not when I'm punching an eighteen wheeler from Dieppe to Avignon, AND driving on the right, as opposed to the left at home.
I used to think nothing of driving from London to Newhaven or Dover, taking a ferry to France, then driving to Cannes or Nice, or across to Düsseldorf or Köln, or Berlin.
Now, if someone asked me to drive from London to Coventry, I'd say, "Thanks, but no thanks."
"Where d'you think you are, in the Ritz?" This really broke me up. I can just hear someone saying that. My mother's much older version was, "Cocoa? You want cocoa? Even the bleedin' queen can't get cocoa."

I've been in a few truck stops. I'd stop to stretch my legs, use the rest room, get something to drink and maybe something to eat. I don't know how they are now, but they used to feel safe to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:41 PM

12,641 posts, read 8,862,933 times
Ah childhood memories. Last time was about a year ago. Basic fast food. I think the last one that had a real restaurant attached was about 15 years ago somewhere on I70 in Kansas or Missouri. Not great but not bad.

But the place that most comes to mind was called Peggy Ann's in Rockwood TN along I40. This was way back when I was a kid in the 60s but I loved stopping there. For some reason the thing I most remember is the melon balls and the desert wall that was like a set of mailboxes with cakes, pies, and wonderful (to a kid at least) things in each one.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:58 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,306,956 times
When you walk into the truck stop diner, I think you're supposed to tell them 'Large Marge' sent you...right?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:39 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,731,095 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c4881UGQLOc

Old 05-26-2016, 10:01 PM

11,031 posts, read 17,415,056 times
There was a truck stop at exit 40 on I-24 in Ky where my wife and I ate once. She ordered 2 pancakes and sausage. They brought out 2 of the largest pancakes we have ever seen. They were bigger than the plate! And she couldn't eat it all. Living for a while in the Hopkinsville/Ft. Campbell/Land Between the Lakes area, we've eaten a lot at the truck stop at exit 86 on I-24, the Ft. Campbell exit. For years the Flying J had their own restaurant and I had seen times you had to wait for a table, and the restaurant wasn't small. And great food. You'd see families going there to eat after church on Sunday. That restaurant has been replaced with a Denny's. Denny's is good but I miss the old one.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,777,692 times
I've had a wonderful breakfast at a truck stop, and I've had a horrendous breakfast at a truck stop. The truck stop with the great breakfast had lots of truckers inside. The truck stop with the bad breakfast had two local scruff budgets and one trucker inside. I wonder if there is a correlation there?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:13 PM

44,557 posts, read 61,296,927 times
We travel across country several times a year and have never had a bad meal or experience at truck stops. Some truck stops have separate dining rooms for drivers and another for general public. Many have named brand franchises like Denny's, Arby's, Mc D's etal.
In the old days your meal was as good as the cook is feeling at that moment.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:28 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,723,301 times
I ate @ one once..... It was OK i guess

Old 05-27-2016, 11:04 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,918,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post

We would stop at great places like Stuckeys, where pecan logs and cactus candy abounded. Postcards and other souvenirs (remember Mexican jumping beans anyone?) were eye candy. There was a long, winding, baby blue counter in each of them, where you could order anything from hamburgers to club sandwiches. I always loved the food.

Ah, a trip down nostalgia lane...
I haven't been to a "truck stop" since I was a kid in the 60s--stopping at Stuckey's was always a treat! And yes, TerraDown those Mexican Jumping beans in the little plastic box were fascinating!
Attached Thumbnails
Ever ate at a truck stop?-image.jpeg  

Old 05-27-2016, 03:26 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,042,363 times
I like truck stop food

the night entertainment isn't bad either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink