Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,776,785 times

Advertisements

I know I need my greens but I don't like either celery or lettuce. The fact that they spoil so quickly in the frig for one things. I know they can be preserved but I don't like the hassle of all that. What about spinach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 09:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,908,106 times
The easiest way to add vegetables to your diet is to look for the frozen bags of vegetables that cook in the microwave. Many are already seasoned and they cook right in the bag. You can find flavors to go with almost any meal.

Spinach is good for you but fresh spinach can be kind of a chore to clean. Usually you have to fill a bowl of water, dunk the spinach several times, dump out the water and refill the bowl, repeat a few times until you quit seeing dirt in the water. If you eat a lot of raw spinach, it can cause kidney stones. Bags of prewashed baby spinach are easier than having to wash it.

Some lettuce keeps longer than others. Romaine seems to keep about a week. I buy tubs of baby spring mix to use in salad and those last about a week. Red leaf lettuce spoils faster than other lettuce.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:22 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,278,333 times
My room mate use to put kale in her smoothies. Can't say I could ever bring myself to try it even though she swore you couldn't taste it.

I usually eat spinach salad, brussel sprouts, or broccoli. Frozen bags maintain nutrients and freshness.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:05 PM

32,964 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Peas? Green beans? Carrots are orange and beets are red. Just eat some raw produce once in a while, and whatever cooked you can fit into your diet. You don't like any kind of salad?

Old 05-22-2016, 09:55 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,612,627 times
I don't understand your question. Are you really asking if there are any green foods besides celery and lettuce? Greens are... green. Green foods are green, and therefore greens.

If you are asking what I think you're asking, start by going to a supermarket. In the fruit and veg section will be a wide variety of foods, of all sorts of different colours. Many of them are green. In the frozen section are bags of frozen fruits and vegetables, many if these are also green. write down the names of the green things you see, go home and google how to cook them. Cook them. Eat them. When in doubt, saute in a pan with butter, salt and garlic.

In general, the darker the colour of the food, the higher the concentration of the colour, and the better it is for you. So red beetroot is better for you than golden beetroot, parsley is better for you than celery, etc. I try to have something green and something red/orange in every meal.

Baby spinach has a much milder flavour than frozen spinach (which is from older plants). I sub baby spinach for any recipe calling for frozen spinach, and I freeze leftover baby spinch so it doesn't go bad.

Some awesome lists of recipes with green veg (srsly, I googled 'recipes with green vegetables', I'm going to bookmark a few of them)

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...en_vegetables/

http://www.thekitchn.com/25-simple-g...-kitchn-217287

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/c...getable-sides/

Some google suggestions:
recipes with lots of parsley
spinach recipes
how to cook bok choy

etc

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 05-22-2016 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-22-2016, 10:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Do you like cabbage, broccoli, peas, green onions, spinach, kale, frozen veggies, peppers; there are so many kinds of peppers and how about adding cilantro to cooked dishes? I can think of many ways to get your greens without eating lettuce and celery. give some other veggies a try; you might be surprised as how good they can be, cooked or raw? We usually have cold slaw once a week and we grill various veggies a couple times a week.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:25 AM

19,449 posts, read 27,893,581 times
And consider trying different types of lettuce's

Arugula
Boston
Belgium endive
Curly Endive aka frisee
Napa (Chinese)
Radicchio (very good on the bbq)
Red cabbage
Watercress

Use lettuce for wraps around meat/vegetables. I use lettuce all the time instead of bread for sandwiches, fashioned just like two pieces of bread. Escarole is excellent in soups. Make cole slaw. Make chinese cole slaw. Kimchee.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:17 PM

19,153 posts, read 25,385,104 times
I find the OP's question to be...mind-boggling...in almost every respect.
Does he REALLY not know of the existence of "greens" other than celery and lettuce?

Also, I don't know where he buys his celery and his lettuce, but neither of these vegetable items "spoil quickly" in my refrigerator. The lettuce is used up within a few days, and never has a chance to "spoil".
The celery might sit in my vegetable drawer for a couple of weeks--in ever-diminishing quantity--before it is used-up, but the celery also never "spoils" within that 2 week period.

I have the following suggestions for the OP:
  • Start shopping for your "greens" at a market where the vegetables are not on the verge of rotting when you buy them.
  • Make a concerted effort to use them at a faster rate than you are currently doing.
  • Familiarize yourself with all of the vegetables--both fresh and frozen--that are available.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:23 PM

569 posts, read 553,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I know I need my greens but I don't like either celery or lettuce. The fact that they spoil so quickly in the frig for one things. I know they can be preserved but I don't like the hassle of all that. What about spinach?
The cooked spinach don't last to your next meal. They lose their flavours as an apple. And the canned spinach don't taste good to me.

White Vegetables And Cancer | Vegetable And Health

Sea weeds.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:54 AM

17,288 posts, read 15,491,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
The cooked spinach don't last to your next meal. They lose their flavours as an apple. And the canned spinach don't taste good to me.

White Vegetables And Cancer | Vegetable And Health

Sea weeds.
Just buy bags of spinach. They last a while. Cook one bag at a time.
Or grow it. Spinach is VERY easy to grow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink