Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 03:14 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
We slow-cook our brisket over night at about 250 degrees in a turkey roasting pan. We found the most wonderful sauce called Gold Buckle Brisket marinade, which we soak the brisket in all day before putting it in the oven. It's the best brisket ever!
Never thought of slow cooking it overnight. Where can you get this brisket marinade???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 03:35 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Never thought of slow cooking it overnight. Where can you get this brisket marinade???
It's an Allegro brand sauce. The ingredients are: Water, Brown Sugar, Salt, Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Mesquite Smoke Flavoring, Spice, Dried Garlic, Dried Onion, Caramel Coloring.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:18 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
My favorite brisket recipe is Grandma's 1950's neighbor's recipe for Sauerbraten. This is served on day 3, but is really quite easy. My mom likes to make this for a big holiday party, as you just reheat the main course on the day of your party.

5 lbs brisket (or less)
3 T vinegar
Medium onion (sliced)
Salt, pepper, garlic salt, and paprika

Marinate brisket in pan with vinegar and seasonings. Cover and store in refrigerator overnight. Place in 350 degree oven, uncovered, to brown. Remove to baking dish with tight cover. Slice onion over top and add drippings from browning pan. Add enough water to make two cups liquid. Cover and return to 300 degree oven for 4 hours or till tender. Cool in liquid and refrigerate over night or until cold. This has to be cold to slice. When ready to serve, heat in 200 degree oven 1 hour. Gravy is thin but delicious.

Great with potato pancakes, mashed potatoes, or any carb you like. And a green veggie too, of course!

The above is the recipe my gram gave my mom. I always use more vinegar (3 T looks like nothing to a large brisket!), garlic powder instead of salt, and a large onion. Mom has this large 1970's era (?) Visionware casserole dish that she does the marinating, storing, and cooking steps in.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
I rub the brisket with cowboy rub (use McCormick's or make your own), then let it sit in the fridge overnight, then cook it all day on low in the crock pot. I add some pecan liquid smoke and some maple bourbon when I cook it, just a little drizzle over the top a couple of times during the day.

If you cook it in the crock pot, take it out and let it stand 30 minutes before slicing it. That makes the difference between being able to get good slices and just shredding it with your knife.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
We use a great local brisket rub and bake wrapped in foil. Couldn't possibly be any better from the pit. Fall apart tender. If you want the smoke throw it in a smoking mesquite fired pit for a few minutes uncovered. As a San Antonian I am convinced there's nothing better than Bolner's Brisket rub.

https://www.fiestaspices.com/meat-rubs/brisket-rub-3/

Old 05-25-2016, 10:46 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
I love brisket, but always considered it to be winter comfort food, maybe because it's not always available year round at my local grocery store. I'm in the process of planning my mother's 90th birthday party, and the caterer suggested using brisket as the beef dish. I may have to reconsider my veto after reading this thread.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:57 PM

922 posts, read 791,010 times
We used to get the Gold Bucket at a Kroger store. I believe you can also order it online.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I love brisket, but always considered it to be winter comfort food...
It's actually a very popular cut of beef for low-and-slow BBQ at any time of the year.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Well all this talk, so I did order one from Sam's; pick it up tomorrow. The problem if it is one: the darn thing is almost 22 lbs. I guess I will be cutting that baby up some and freezing a good part of it. Spoiled brat will smoke about 1/2 of it or maybe less on Saturday. To me, this is how we start our summer and always have on Labor day to officially end summer. The only thing different the past few years: it isn't a buck a lb anymore.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 PM

497 posts, read 387,275 times
Boy do the following recipes sound quite delish! I have never cooked a brisket, but if and when I do, I'll be keeping these recipes in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post

When I bake brisket I do it at 325° an hour a pound. I put sliced onions in a roasting pan, I salt and pepper or use a rub depending on mood. I place fat side up on the onions and put a lid on it. Sometimes before the last hour of cooking, I slice up the brisket. I put it back in pan and cover with a mix of barbeque sauce and equal amount of water. Put the lid back on and cook for that last hour. I love putting the leftover sauce on mashed potatoes. Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post

I've been using this recipe the past few years.

Cousin Linda's Beef Brisket

3-4 lb. beef brisket
1 package onion soup mix
1 small can tomato paste (trust me here...it really does the trick)
1 cup water

Cook in a heavy-weight, covered Dutch oven (I use an oval enamel on cast iron Dutch oven) at 300 degrees for 5 hours (or as above at 250 degrees for 6-7 hours). Remove from the oven, slice across the grain and return the meat to the Dutch oven. Add 1 lb. trimmed fresh green beans, cover, and cook for an additional 2-3 hours (depending on the oven temperature). The additional 2-3 hours will allow each slice to absorb the juices/gravy. It's like heaven on a plate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post

I made one in the oven since I don't have a smoker. I seasoned mine with a rub of different spices like, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt, brown sugar. I wrapped it tightly in foil, put on a baking sheet, and cooked it low and slow on 300 degrees. I think it cooked 3- 4 hours. It was a 12 pound brisket BTW, I had to cut in half, and cook it on 2 different baking sheets. 1/2 hour before done, I had brushed it with a homemade BBQ sauce. It came out very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink